The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » It's hell when you get old...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: It's hell when you get old...
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted December 03, 2018 10:10 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
As I have indicated, I have had 2 back surgeries since August of 2017.

Each time, my back has come out the other end much better, BUT, I have still had the issue of the outside of my right leg going numb from my hip to knee. It literally goes away in seconds after I sit down.

It goes numb when I lay on my back, or when I stand too long or walk a distance...my leg still functions, but it is a very, very annoying problem.

I flummoxed my back surgeon, and a neurologist couldn't get it figured out. I have put on 50 extra pounds, as I can't walk the distances I used to just because of the numbness and burning sensation.

Well, my neighbor is an orthopedist and has done 2 of my knee surgeries, and put my wife's ankle back together after a nasty fall.

I honestly thought I had a bad hip, and was prepared to accept that news...

After seeing him last Thursday, he said my hips are in great shape, and he diagnosed me in about 5 minutes. Thankfully, he has seen several of these cases, and was really disappointed the back doc and the neurologist didn't figure it out.

There is a small nerve that goes over the top of your pelvic/hip area that controls the area that is going numb on me. It passes under a ligament, and the ligament is catching the nerve when I lay on my back, stand, etc. It releases when I sit down, so that is why the feeling returns so quickly.

I may have to have a simple surgery to correct this, but for now, we are trying some steroid pills, and maybe a shot in that area to see if that helps.

At least I can see the light at the end of the tunnel on this, and it is not a train!

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

[ December 03, 2018, 10:13 AM: Message edited by: booger ]

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 03, 2018 10:42 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm just another sufferer, but what you describe sounds a little like something I have had going on for at least ten years. I could describe "spinal stenosis" and you still might not have a clear picture of what goes on, but what I get relief from in sitting down and bending forward. My understanding is the sciatic nerve is involved, especially on my right side. Any sort of side pressure on the nerve bundle that is the spinal column can cause all sorts of pain and numbness just about anywhere in the extremities from the waist down. I have loss of feeling in my feet, mostly my toes.

As far as curative actions. I am so negative about surgery on the spine. I have seen few successes and lots of additional surgeries, most making a bad situation worse. I'm far better off with pain medication, in my opinion. It's a whole 'nother situation getting that medication. The government would rather see you suffer than become addicted to medication. It's a pain in the ass, literally and figuratively, what they make you do, to get pain medication. I've only screwed up a couple times and left without what I need because I didn't reorder until I ran out. So, I have to stay one step ahead of the bureaucracy. But, it still beats the hell out of surgery. Spine Surgery! Forget that shit!

Good hunting. El Bee

edit:
PS yes, I agree, it's hell when you get old.

[ December 03, 2018, 10:47 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31473 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted December 03, 2018 11:12 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
LB,
Stenosis was my first diagnosis when I had my L4 Laminectomy.

I still had really bad numbness and pain after the first surgery when they determined I had 2 vertebrae moving front to back and side to side. The L3-L5 fusion took care of that, and really, my back pain is solved.

It's just this damn little annoyance of the leg going numb.

I don't have the sciatic pain anymore since I got fixed...sorry to hear yours is bad!

Doc said the surgery consists of snipping the sheath on the nerve or the ligament so it can slide freely and not get caught...will also help if I can shed some of the weight I have gained, but it is a double edged sword...can't exercise until it's fixed, and it may not get better if I don't lose weight... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted December 03, 2018 06:39 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Boy, do I feel your pain, Tim. I've been working under "reasonable accommodations" since my fourth knee surgery 2.5 years ago where my postmaster allows me to truck hop rather than walk long loops. I've had so many shots in my knees that I have areas on the outside of both that are just dead to the touch. If I walk more than a block, I experience a tightening from stenosis in my lumbar that eventually starts to cramp a bit, and my legs get very sore from the knees down until I have to take a break. I'm 284# which is 109 more than when I graduated high school and I'm bigger than my nephew who plays DII college football.

Pinched nerves are a hoot. I've had two really bad episodes of cervical radiculopathy - a disc bulging in my neck - and that will make you shit naked babies in a hurry. Last time I had shots by a guy that is incredibly good at what he does. Nowadays, my issues involve shaving with my right hand. Turn my head the right way and my hand just dies, dropping whatever I'm holding.

I have 1 year, 10 months and about 26 days left to my minimum retirement date and hope to get there without having to have both knees replaced first. I know losing 50 pounds would help immensely. But, like you, I'm simply not able to endure the exercise to make that happen anymore and diet doesn't do shit when you're fighting genetics.

LB, you're right about the pain meds. Try CBD. My wife takes CBD capsules and it helps her immensely.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 03, 2018 06:52 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
CBD? Just a guess, is that canabis oil? Applied topically, or what?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted December 04, 2018 05:18 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Cannabidiol oil, one of maybe 19 compounds that can be refined from marijuana, THC being one, and the only one that will get you high. CBD doesn't do anything on the stoned front, but it's being used a lot by folks to treat chronic pain, sleep disorders, anxiety disorders and the like. You can get it in a number of different forms. Li9sa has used the oil itself, taken sublingually under the tongue. Assures me it tastes nasty (like all good meds), and is presently taking capsules to see how they do. You can get it here in gummies, lollipops, candy, any other sort of food, and even as a liquid quasi-energy drink. Most of our pharmacies are even starting to carry the various products. For Lisa, they do seem to help. I can tell when she's hurting less because she smokes less.

The capsules she's taking cost about $50 a month for 25-30.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 04, 2018 06:42 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay thanks I'll think about it. I think that's what my housekeeper was taking, but I don't know what for? I think that was the price range she mentioned. She used to stay overnite, but then we kind of drifted, ya know? I've been thinking of giving her a call anyway, maybe bring that stuff? It's kinda like Astrolube, right?

Good hunting. El Bee

PS I'm probably kidding

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted December 05, 2018 04:15 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Can't have or take CBD oil or any form in Idaho. Against the law.
Has to be under a certain amount of something. Can't remember what the news was saying.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 05, 2018 07:26 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, don't leave us hanging! Find out!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted December 05, 2018 01:23 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry LB, but the mind isn't working to good. Been elk hunting/chasing. No we didn't get it.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted December 07, 2018 06:12 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
earthwalker, as hard as this is to say, anytime you're behind Kansas on getting up to speed with what the rest of the world already knows for the law, you're in trouble. I know one young lady who takes CBD to manger her anxiety disorder, chronic pain, and epilepsy. With it, she can work and support herself and her son. Without it, she's on the state teat for support. Take enough of it and it will probably just put you to sleep rather than make you high.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 07, 2018 08:13 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You are making it sound as if there is a psychosomatic component?

The first thing that causes me to be a tiny bit skeptical, is the cost. It can't cost that much for so little.

For instance, I take Humira which is injectable, in a pen device. It seems to treat a wide range of disease, from arthritis to, in my case, Crohn's disease, infections etc. It involves an intellectual property and has a patent. And, the price is outrageous, pretty much whatever the traffic will bear. Actually retail, about $1,000 per dose. I get a discount or I would never consider it.

But back to CBD. there is no patent and the stuff is widely available and it appears that there are a number of manufacturers? Seems like the street price should be $5-$10 per bottle, not fifty bucks. But okay, for anxiety disorder, chronic pain and even epilepsy, that's miracle drug territory.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit:
https://cannabliss-labs.com/ga/the-benefits-disp/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_fe1z6eO3wIVhM5kCh2W_QI8EAEYBCAAEgLfI_D_BwE

[ December 07, 2018, 10:16 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted December 10, 2018 11:15 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
anxiety disorder, chronic pain and even epilepsy

All three have neurological components and involve the brain and nerves. No miracles here. And, I don't know that you can get a patent on a completely natural substance. Your skepticism almost makes you sound like one of our legislators.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 10, 2018 02:25 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
My skepticism only involves the cost and of course how effective it is. Any so called "drug" should have a dose of skepticism in it's application. You say, "no miracles here" but it seems like it has been advertised as a miracle solution for a lot of miseries. You know, if we can believe the email forwards we see about old time remedies, there was one that involved blowing tobacco smoke up your ass. All I'm saying is there's nothing wrong with being cautious, and reserve judgement. Especially since it is claimed to be of benefit for a lot of dissimilar ailments. Just don't get hooked! (I'm kidding)

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters