The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Waterproofing help

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Waterproofing help
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted December 03, 2018 09:01 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
Since my back surgeries, I have just returned to the outdoors this past weekend. Went out looking for a whitetail in my new Ameristep Deluxe Chair Blind.

Works very well, EXCEPT, it is leaky. I sealed the seams, but didn't count on the rest of the covering to have pin pricks in it.

Wasn't really bad, but just annoying. Sat it in for 4 hours, and came out with a bit of a wet butt and leg, but that was in a steady rain and wet snow.

I am not going to do anything with it in the near term, as I don't want it stinking for this weekend's outing, but may work it over prior to the doe season on January 1 if I don't get a buck Saturday.

What spray waterproofing do you recommend? Scotchguard? Something else?

The camo covering is plastic, I believe. Just thought I would tap the expertise here!

Tim

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted December 03, 2018 09:12 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I would suggest contacting the manufacturer and see what they recommend.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7584 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted December 03, 2018 09:27 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Koko! I just sent them a message. Just didn't want to spray something on there and have it dissolve the covering!

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 03, 2018 09:28 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed, but if nothing else, that Scotch-guard is probably worth doing? Or throw a Army surplus poncho over the top. They don't leak, is my recollection? Shrug? I've shot exactly one animal from a blind, a Springbok so I'm not an authority.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31473 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted December 03, 2018 09:43 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
LB,
It worked really well...had 3 deer within 5 yards of the blind, trying to figure out what was looking at them from the inside.

Granted, 2 were yearling spikes and one small 2 year old 8 point, so they weren't the sharpest tools in the shed, but they didn't spook!

--------------------

Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted December 03, 2018 06:44 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Rustoleum has a new product caller Never Wet or something like that. Supposed to be damned good stuff. About $14 for a quart spray bottle. I am going to try it on my work rain gear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwYw3PDMsUM

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted December 04, 2018 04:59 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
From what I could tell watching the review, it makes material water repellant but water will still soak thru.
Still, interesting stuff.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7584 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters