The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Time Share information or why I'm not going to Koko' s campout

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Time Share information or why I'm not going to Koko' s campout
Aznative
FARTS ON CLUELESS LIBERALS
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted November 25, 2018 07:19 AM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
The wife and I have been to several time share sell pitches and always went for just the freebies. I've never purchased because if you look at the cost and maintenance fees it just doesn't add up. Three or four times we have rented a week at the Wyndham at Oceanside pier. It is more cost effective to rent IMHO.

About 18 months ago we went to another sales pitch where we got a greatly reduced cruise. The cruise was nice. We told them no to the normal sales pitch. At the end they said if we wish to just try the program for $1100 we could get 60,000 points. If we purchased a share they would credit the 1100 towards the purchase. We've paid $2,000 for a week in oceanside to rent so we decided to try it.

Let me tell you the sells pitch that you have access to all of the resorts that honor RCI points is a bunch of bull shit. My wife looked and looked. She even checked out the cruises and it was cheaper to buy a cruise from Costco. The only thing she could get was a resort in Oceanside in January. !

The moral of the story is don't bother buying anything from a time share sells-man. We have been on the left coast before in the winter and San Diego does have nice winters. It is too cold to jump into the Ocean but we don't care to get wet in the Pacific anymore. Playing in the Pacific is for younger people. So in the end we will still enjoy our time there. Sorry that I cannot make your campout Koko.

[ November 25, 2018, 07:20 AM: Message edited by: Aznative ]

--------------------
Never thought the devil would need a teleprompter but I could be wrong.

United State of America: RIP
Born July 4th 1776 died November 6th 2012

Posts: 1924 | From: Phoenix Az | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted November 25, 2018 08:14 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
When the smiling man has an offer that sounds too good to be true ………………….

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 25, 2018 11:49 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Timeshares are a total mystery to me? Just on the face of it, it doesn't make sense to be obligated contractually so you can spend a week or two in the same place for the rest of your life, and it will be that long because you can't sell it to anybody with any brains.

Yes, I have endured a few of the sales pitches, hard sells, every one. Then, at the end, they offer you a resale for 60% of original price. And, who cares? Hardly "used". Somebody else is sleeping there every other week, all year long. But, the worst part, in spite of assurances, you are pretty much stuck with your Las Vagas timeshare because it's hard to trade for another's Hawaiian timeshare. But, same thing, face it, you have a timeshare in Palm Springs or Las Vegas or Orlando and you should really like it. or plan on buying 5 other timeshares, while I will rent a house for a week, or another interesting idea, stay at a hotel in Bermuda next year.

I just found out my daughter and husband have a timeshare in Maui! $30,000. They must feel real stupid since they failed to ever mention it before? On the other hand, that's the only destination that would ever appeal to me anyway. I could live there full time.

AZ you cannot justify it no matter how many imaginary points they award you. Not to me, you can't. No offense/a fool and his money....

Good hunting. El Bee

[ November 25, 2018, 11:50 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted November 26, 2018 04:45 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't care if they are offering free rifles wont go near those slimy people!

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted December 03, 2018 06:27 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
My dad had one when he died. My brother and sister had this grandiose plan about how we would rotate every three years using it as long as we each paid our third of the maintenance fees. Thought it was a scam even before dad bought it and told them they could gladly have my "share". Actually, I told him to just let it go back and not transfer the title because by the time he'd begun doing that, dad's estate had been closed and was no longer available for anyone to try and get any money from. He didn't listen. Serves him right.

You have to watch them though. I understand that a lot of the newer ones have a clause in there that forces the responsibility for continuing the maintenance fees on your benefactors after you die. I wasn't about to be forced into supporting my dad's stupidity on this one.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 03, 2018 07:26 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That would be a neat trick, Lance. As far as I know, and I know very little, but I stupidly paid some things that were in my wife's name, and apparently there was no legal obligation, I've been told?

And still, I cannot believe that people see an advantage in time shares?

Just imagine if I were persuaded/obligated to pay monthly installments to Hilton every month, for years, for the privilege of spending a week at their resort once a year, and at which time, pay a user fee? I must be missing something? But developers are building them, and people are buying time shares.

But, on the other hand, I stayed in one in Cabo that was an earned bonus of a friend who owned a timeshare in Las Vegas. A regular average timeshare. But, this place in Cabo was nothing like his Vegas timeshare. To start off, there were three master suites and a huge central room and the entire front was 50 feet of solid glass and outside a balcony that ran the entire length. This place went for $4,000 a night and we stayed there for nothing, for a week. Everything was on a mammoth scale and the food and beverages were outrageou$.Actually, I've stayed in fancier places, (owned by a Rockefeller, in fact, and costing the same; nothing) but, not with three master suites! I've yet to figure out how we stayed at that Mexican resort for nothing by building up "points" in a Vegas timeshare? I believe it was called CABO AZUL, by the way. If you can find it on the Internet, I bet it looks impressive because it is.

Anyway, include me out.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: I looked it up to save you the trouble. Apparently, what we had must have been a Penthouse, sleeps six.
https://www.hotels.com/ho256412/cabo-azul-resort-by-diamond-resorts-san-jose-del-cabo-mexico/?rffrid=sem.hcom.US.google.003.00.04.s.kwrd=c.303233696554.65377846768.1587285017.1t3.d sa-588248164687.9031250..0.Cj0KCQiAxZPgBRCmARIsAOrTHSZhk-LJcLHvxgsNWTS28ce5qSSe_MyOYVJc8qqRlGsiiqW2DHQ6JjYaAq2vEALw_wcB.aw.ds&PSRC=G21&gclid=Cj0KCQiAxZPgBRCmARIsAOrTHSZhk-LJcLHvxgs NWTS28ce5qSSe_MyOYVJc8qqRlGsiiqW2DHQ6JjYaAq2vEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

[ December 03, 2018, 07:35 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
NeilA
Knows what it's all about
Member # 6789

Icon 1 posted December 03, 2018 07:36 PM      Profile for NeilA   Email NeilA         Edit/Delete Post 
There was a con man that I know of (and stay away from) that was involved in a “pay us $3000 and we will get you out of your timeshare, or sell it or something”. Anyway, needless to say, it was a scam and he is nothing more than a criminal.

I prefer hotels, especially that include a breakfast. I Shop for good deals, and enjoy eating at local restaurants.

I don’t go on vacation to save money.

Posts: 28 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2018  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted December 03, 2018 08:18 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
My wife and I, a couple of dumb hicks from Idaho, got roped into sitting through one of those time share deals when we went to Vegas the first time.

Holy shit, that was high pressure and I gotta admit they were really good at it.

Of the 20 or so tables in the room about 15 were filling out paper work by the end.

Amazing how the price dropped from 20K down to 10k just by me say "No" several times. We had 2 agents and the head honch leading the show putting the screws to us real hard because were the last few holdouts in the room.

I told the agent he drew a bum couple when he got us because they could have lowered the price to $500 and I still would have passed.

Kinda ruined the day even with the free show tickets we got.

[ December 03, 2018, 08:23 PM: Message edited by: Lonny ]

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters