The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Holy Crap on a Cracker!! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Holy Crap on a Cracker!!
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted November 24, 2018 04:47 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Santa and his reindeer won't have any problems sledding around here now.
Couple of inches of the fresh white stuff. [Roll Eyes]

Oh well, it'll make our elk hunt easier. Can slide them off the hill if we get lucky.

Sure not ready for it in the valley's.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted November 24, 2018 08:35 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Hunting in the snow is like reading a book Love it !

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted November 24, 2018 08:40 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
It loses the appeal fast.

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted November 24, 2018 09:27 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Other half panicked. Have to get it cleaned off. If it warms up it'll go to ICE!! I doubt it. Old habits die hard. Other place yes. North side of the mountain sitting on a slope. You plowed, swept you moved snow ASAP! Because it did go to a ice rink. Here its flat with a slight slope to the east. See the sun from sunrise to sunset. Other place only gets about 1.5 hours of sun from now until the end of January. I hate that place.
But with this much snow and a road we have to get up and yesterday we slid in a dicy part of it with a good drop off straight down. We might have to get the sleds out and get the stickers on them to got in and check our stuff. Never road them once last year.

I just need to figure out the cloths layering. It's been tough so far this fall. Nothing I wear ever seemed to be right. Either over dressed or under booted.

--------------------

Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted November 24, 2018 06:06 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah might snow Tuesday morning then turn to rain here. That's the thing about seasons. Once ya kinda get used to what's going it gets colder then warmer.

Then colder again. then the new warm is colder than it was but it's warm ?

Go figure ?

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted November 25, 2018 04:54 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Last few weeks the night time morning temps have been in the single digits. By afternoon we would hit maybe the 30's. When it did hit the 30's it sure felt warm.

We melted out a lot yesterday afternoon. Suppose to hit 38 today again.

I love it up here. Just need to put my big girl pants on and get with it. All this new techie clothing now a days you can stay so much warmer and still not look and feel like a Ewok unless you want to.

A few years back Cabela's had those TransAlaskan suit on sale. I bought one for riding the snow machines. I decided I was tired of being cold when riding and if something should happen I could survive out there. Yes, we pack survival gear but have no one to sound the alarm if we don't show up back at the house at night.

Had a SPOT for years but finally dropped them after they charged the credit card without asking if we wanted to re-up the subscription.

Gotta love the life of adventurers.

--------------------

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted November 25, 2018 05:26 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
'SPOT' ????

Yeah, I know what you guys are saying about the cold.
I was burning brush and tumbleweeds yesterday and it was 1:30 in the afternoon before it was warm enough to work with my shirt off. Just don't like the cold no mo.
No, really, I don't have a clue what living in the single digit world would be like but I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't agree with me.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted November 25, 2018 10:08 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Very low RH up here. The cold doesn't bother us like down in the valley where the RH is higher.
I've always hated the cold and winters but it seems totally different here in the true High Desert country.

SPOT is a beacon locator you subscribe too. You can add tracking and follow that person on google earth with little footmarks. It was nice when he'd take off and go and I'd be working, I could follow him and know exactly where he was at, and visa versa.

Guess there is a new beacon locator company out there that is a little better now. Haven't looked into it. Going to have to set something up after retirement. Plan on doing a lot if we can.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 25, 2018 12:04 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I know that my daughter was tracking me on Uber while traveling to and from the airport, maybe it's just Uber or some iPhone app?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted November 26, 2018 06:08 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
Full on blizzard yesterday here in Kansas. Lucky we didn't get over 3" of snow, or else it might have been worse. As it was, some 3' drifts around, and they had I-70 closed through most of the Western 1/2 of Kansas yesterday.

We have had more winter here in the last 30 days than we have had in the last 3 years.

Deer season starts here Wednesday, so I am excited about hunting in snow this next weekend!

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 26, 2018 07:15 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Hint: hunt bottomland when snowfly.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted November 26, 2018 08:40 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
LB...sound advice!

The only issue I had was getting to my bottom land honeyhole!

The wind was gusting to 60 mph, and the snow was horizontal! I would have had to traverse 35 miles before I got there!

[ November 26, 2018, 08:41 AM: Message edited by: booger ]

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
ATexan
Knows what it's all about
Member # 6799

Icon 1 posted November 26, 2018 08:53 AM      Profile for ATexan   Email ATexan         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure glad the snow didn't make it any further south. We had a 54 mph wind gust and 35 mph steady winds yesterday. Nothing nice about the north wind howling and snow flying sideways. Funny how a barb wire fence will cause a 4 foot drift with 60 mph wind and 3 inches of snow...
Posts: 112 | From: Texas | Registered: Mar 2018  |  IP: Logged
NVWalt
Does not claim to be overly bright!
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted November 27, 2018 06:55 AM      Profile for NVWalt           Edit/Delete Post 
You know, while hunting in Wyoming I thought it wouldn't be a bad place to live in.And then I started to realize that their were gates on the hiways,like up in the Sierra Nevadas, and LOTS of drift fences and then the light bulb burned out and I says to myself"Nope, looks worse then Ely country in Nevada."
Pretty cold here in Tennessee this morning but the fall colors are still nice.

--------------------
Support Communism and help destroy the United States of America ! VOTE DEMOCRAT. "In the end, they aren't coming after me. They are coming after you!" D.Trump

Posts: 636 | From: Tellico Plains, TN | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 27, 2018 07:31 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't been in Wyoming in quite a while, but some things leave quite an impression. Like being stranded in Rock Springs, roads closed in and out of town, people just parking in the middle of the street in the middle of town and by the second day, none of the restaurants had any food. The snow wasn't falling so much as blowing sideways and piling up in 14 foot drifts. This is fucked up! Day three, we snuck out of town by going north. Maybe that's kinda normal in Wyoming, I don't know? I know this, the coyotes and bobcats are gorgeous, prime as you ever hope to see, but it's not like they are all that numerous, compared to Nevada. And, the main difference weather wise between Wyoming and Nevada is that it warms up in the daytime in one of those places and not, in the other. Oh, and I detest hunting in that wind! Calling in windy conditions tends to suck. All these guys that like to work their programs for a 700 yard shot should love the challenge of factoring in wind, here and out yonder; which ain't the same. The way I see it, when I pull the trigger, I expect to kill something. When shooting at long distance, in windy conditions, you cannot count on a down animal. I don't like that, and I won't shoot if it's a percentage shot. Nothing makes me feel more stupid than to see a coyote run off, after the shot.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted November 27, 2018 08:53 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I was in Rawlings Wyoming once and the wind wasn't blowing ……………….. but nobody believes me. [Frown]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
NVWalt
Does not claim to be overly bright!
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted November 27, 2018 04:20 PM      Profile for NVWalt           Edit/Delete Post 
You are right. Sounds like a pipe dream to me.

--------------------
Support Communism and help destroy the United States of America ! VOTE DEMOCRAT. "In the end, they aren't coming after me. They are coming after you!" D.Trump

Posts: 636 | From: Tellico Plains, TN | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted November 27, 2018 05:16 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
We were in Casper one fall and even the locals couldn't stand the wind that fall. It shook a canopy almost apart. We had to park into the wind so the door wouldn't blow off when we got out and we could open the canopy door and tailgate.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 27, 2018 05:40 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Before we tackle GLOBAL WARMING, or the nebulous, impossible to pin down CLIMATE CHANGE, otherwise known as
Weather, why don't we get these "scientists" together and have them work out a solution for Windy Wyoming? Should be relatively easy, don't you think?

I feel generous, lets give them a year and a billion dollars, and if they can't fix the wind in Wyoming, we will pull the pants down on these dickwads that think humans can control and manipulate the friggin' weather.

Case closed. Now, shut the fuck up about CLIMATE CHANGE!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted November 28, 2018 05:17 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
The climate has always changed and always will git used to it ! ! or just send a check or money order to Al Gore he'll fix it !

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 28, 2018 08:11 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You, of all people fall for Al Gore and his lies about 26 foot rise in sea level! I dunno, maybe that wasn't you? (just kidding)

Good hunting. El Bee

PS I see you expect snow tomorrow?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted November 28, 2018 08:13 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Another dusting of snow over night. Might temps right now.
Sounds like the Alaska deep freeze is coming next week.
Gosh it's the first of December it always goes into a deep freeze in the PNW.
Always get the January thaw to settle the snow then low valley's early spring starts.

--------------------

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted November 28, 2018 11:52 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Ariel;
I saw a fresh snake track yesterday while out on The Loop. Watch where you park your butt !!!!

--------------------

Ariel Perez
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4678

Icon 1 posted November 28, 2018 12:17 PM      Profile for Ariel Perez   Email Ariel Perez         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the heads up Koko. Funny you say that because two weekends ago during the contest here in Safford i had one start rattling in a tumble weed directly below were I sat, I definitely wasn’t expecting it.

We have worlds that starts on Friday and the weather is gonna be terrible so I doubt we will run into any.

--------------------
AP

Posts: 60 | From: South/eastern Az | Registered: May 2016  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted November 28, 2018 01:35 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, what's the deal with the World ??

I gave somebody my dues for the Sportsman Club but have never heard anything back from them.

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters