The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » A question for DAA

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A question for DAA
Aznative
FARTS ON CLUELESS LIBERALS
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted November 19, 2018 05:32 AM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
Good Morning DAA. I know you are a jeep fan, and I'm considering purchasing one. My choices are greatly reduced because I need my next hunting vehicle to also be a dingy. In case you are not familiar with the term dingy, a dingy is a Rv'ers term for a flat/4 down towable vehicle. The much liked toyota tacoma 4x4 is not suited for such service since about the 2000 model year. Jeep wrangler's and the Wrangler variations (e.g., Rubricon, Sahara, etc) are all flat towable. I also want four doors.

Question: Is the four door wrangler a good calling vehicle. I know it can get you anywhere you wish to go, but where and how do you store the firearms?

--------------------
Never thought the devil would need a teleprompter but I could be wrong.

United State of America: RIP
Born July 4th 1776 died November 6th 2012

Posts: 1924 | From: Phoenix Az | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted November 19, 2018 06:39 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never hunted out of a 4 door, but I'm sure that would be easier/better than my 2 door. They are way easier to access gear in the back than my 2 door is.

I just lay the guns on the floor right behind the front seats. Or, depending, just on top of camp gear in the back where I can reach it quick and easy with the front seat folded forward.

Have always called Jeeps behind RV's called toads. First time I've hear it called a dingy. Either one is pretty easy to see what is meant though.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 19, 2018 08:02 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure I get it? The time I towed my Datsun pick up, I had to tie the steering wheel. And, boy howdy! Did that ever make the front end of the Ford squirrely! Too much tongue weight, or something? Of course we had a lot of hunting and camping gear in the back of that truck. Made for an exciting trip!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted November 19, 2018 08:39 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Need a manual or t-case w/neutral and no front wheel drive.

Modern automatics and all wheel drives grenade when flat towed.

Some Jeeps do too... Some disagreement on whether to put the transmission in neutral and leave t-case engaged for lube, or not.

Have seen a couple of t-cases grenade while being flat towed though.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 19, 2018 12:49 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I guess I understand? Yeah, the times I have had a 4 wheel drive vehicle towed they disconnected the drive shaft. But my Datsun was 2 wheel drive had nothing to do with any issue other than the front wheels turning and dragging, but small issue corrected before too far along. That was a long time ago and a long drive and it was scary because there was so little weight on the steering wheels. Nervous wreck driving it, required constant attention. Yes, and stupid, but weren't we all when young?

I damned near had something like that happen on my 74 Power Wagon. I put a smaller size spare on the rear and wasn't too far down the road when it started jumping like crazy. Wound up putting it on the front and drove pretty good, but this 5 lug pattern I think is the same as a Jeep, not very common. On this truck with the undersize spare, if I got a flat on the back and couldn't plug it, involved musical chairs with the tires. And, carrying a bunch of different pieces of wood to put under the hydraulic jack. Remember the time I had two sidewalls slashed on the same road? We should start a thread about bad breakdowns? I could contribute quite a few. lol

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Aznative
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted November 19, 2018 02:43 PM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the information. I'm using this RVers website for information about which vehicles can be a toad. Yes, I've heard this term before.

http://www.motorhome.com/download-dinghy-guides/

The rule I will usually use is read the owners manual. It will be in their if the manufacturer endorses it. Even a Tacoma can be a toad but modifications have to be made. Some mods just don't appeal to me. Even some electronic shift transfer cases can be put into neutral. I have a 2017 chevy one ton duramax 4x4 and it has a procedure to put the T-case into neutral. I haven't bothered to read it because it is my towing vehicle, not my toad. I would prefer to go with a manual shift Transfer case but electronics are taking over the whole damn world IMHO.

MY old 97 Dakota is getting long in the tooth, 212,000 miles, but still a good hunting vehicle. Nothing wrong with it that I'm worried about. Just some pesky little intermittent electronic issues that are telling me it is getting tired of roads that beat both us and the truck up. Luckily I don't need a new hunting rig now. It will be a while before I buy.

In about 40 months, I have one last rental I will have paid off. It will certainly be time to retire the Dakota by then.

Thanks

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 19, 2018 03:21 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well don't be conned into installing solar in those rentals. I just got my property taxes. Assessment went up about $250X2.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted November 19, 2018 03:56 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The rule I will usually use is read the owners manual. It will be in their if the manufacturer endorses it.
Exactly what I'd do.

- DAA

--------------------

Aznative
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted November 20, 2018 04:57 AM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
I hate the solar panel industry almost as much a fuel grade alcohol producers. The people that install solar panels receive tax credits and then expect to have access to the grid based upon the amount of electricity they use. Since they have solar they use very little electricity so they pay very little for grid maintenance. My niece's boyfriend went on a vulgar facebook rant against the Arizona corporation Commission for increasing the rate he has to pay for grid maintenance. I have no problem with solar panels as long as they pay their fair share for grid maintenance and stop receiving tax credits. Alcohol is a losing proposition for the american drivers even if they did stop the subsidies.

A funny side note I discovered on craigslist is how some are heavily discounting jeeps that are a strange bizarre color.

Check this out this beauty LOL:

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/ctd/d/2018-jeep-wrangler-jk/6751515392.html

It is going for six grand less than the 2017s with more miles.

--------------------

Aznative
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted November 20, 2018 05:25 AM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a response I just received from a company regarding a drive line disconnect for a Tacoma:

"We build more Driveline Disconnect's for Toyota's than any other application. You only need a Disconnect shaft on the rear shaft. You put your Transfer Case in 2WD and Disconnect the rear shaft with the Disconnect, put the transmission in Park ( in gear if manual)and you are ready to tow. You don't need a Pump if you use the Disconnect. You dont ever have to start it up and let it run. Since your Transmission is in Park or gear there is nothing turning in the transmission that needs lubricating. If you need more info please feel free to call us. (928)782-3611"

It sounds reasonable, but I have concerns with it messing up u-joint angles. My concerns would double if the tacoma had a lift kit.

--------------------

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters