The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Cold feet? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Cold feet?
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted November 23, 2018 08:02 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Darn Tough and Smartwool, about the only socks I wear inside boots, hot or cold, I wear the same ones.

Main reason I switched to all wool socks years ago, is blisters. In hot weather on long walks my feet want to blister up bad, at the slightest excuse. Good wool socks are the best preventative for that I've found.

Nice side benefit, after three days on the trail wearing the same ones, they don't stink. Not too bad anyway [Big Grin] . I wear pure wool T shirts hiking that canyon country in warm weather too. They are stupid expensive, but worth it.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 23, 2018 08:47 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Filson is pricy, no doubt. How much will a double Mackinaw cruiser set you back? Must be somewhere around $600 or so? But, it reeks quality. Tin cloth? Damned near as much as wool. But, I like looking at the catalogue.

Speaking of which. I got a KUEU (?) I know I'm misspelling it, but is that ever a flashy looking catalog! At least the cover envelope of the embossed red ram is very impressive. Did everybody get one? I don't know where in hell they got my name? Speaking of White boots, which I have never owned, but it seems like Victor wears them all the time, whenever he isn't wearing his Mexican wrestler sneakers. He will never live that down.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31467 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted November 23, 2018 09:32 AM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard; as long as we have you around, I suspect I'll never live any of those tid bits down, you always know when to drop one on me. Actually, I get a grin from your needling, you can't be part of the group if you can't laugh at yourself right?
Ive had a lot of fun and met a lot of great guys in the simple pursuit of coyotes. If my Nacho Libre shoe story can still draw a chuckle, Im pleased and proud to own it.

Posts: 1629 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted November 23, 2018 10:33 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
In regards to Filson. I used to make more money than now days.

I have a small closet full of their stuff.

*Mackinaw cruiser. Gray/Black
*Tin cloth chore coat ? not sure what it's actually called.
*Shelter cloth double sleeved coat whatever it's called.
*Tin cloth vest
*Mackinaw vest. Two of them.
*Alaskan flannel shirts. Two of them.
*Wool brimmed hat.
*Wool cap.
*Long Johns.

Probably something else. I can't remember right now. Most of this purchased 20 or so years ago. Love all of it.

I think the company is still a good one. They have always been pricey. Now days even more so. Might still be a good value though in the long run ?

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted November 23, 2018 02:34 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Yeah. But one thing to remember, Victor; if I didn't like ya, I wouldn't give you a hard time. You know that.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: (keeps you humble)

[ November 23, 2018, 02:36 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted November 23, 2018 03:27 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Local Sporting Goods store Black Friday deal.
"Darn Tough Socks" buy 1 get the second pair half price. Just bought 4 pair of socks other half bought a pair of Sole insoles at regular price.

Filson sure isn't what is use to be. They went more urban selling like L.L. Bean. Nothing for real people who physically work outside. Can't afford their prices anyway.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted November 23, 2018 03:55 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Kuiu catalog...check. I have a few pieces of Kuiu stuff and really like it.
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted November 23, 2018 06:06 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah your right about Filson. The catalog doesn't have near what it used to.

Forgot about that, glad I have all my older stuff. Everything seems more tilted to "yuppies" now days if you will.

Carhartt ain't what it was either. I have again about a 20-25 year old work coat. I bought a Arctic Coat on sale a few years ago. No comparison between the two.

Times have changed. No going back now. Sad..

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
MI VHNTR
I'm not shaving 'til Obama's gone!
Member # 3370

Icon 1 posted November 23, 2018 07:04 PM      Profile for MI VHNTR   Email MI VHNTR         Edit/Delete Post 
Shoe sizes sure have changed. I have a pair of Columbia boots size 11 that are starting to wear out. I like them so I went to buy another identical pair of them in size 11, of course. I could not get my foot into the new size 11 boot no matter how hard I tried. I had to get a size 12 boot and it is still not as comfortable and roomy as my older size 11 boots.

It makes you wonder how this new stuff is being made and what size it really is.

--------------------
The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting. It's about Freedom.

FJB Let's Go Brandon

Posts: 394 | From: MI | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
NeilA
Knows what it's all about
Member # 6789

Icon 1 posted November 23, 2018 07:34 PM      Profile for NeilA   Email NeilA         Edit/Delete Post 
I think shoe sizes have changed some.

Also as we age our feet tend to get wider and maybe a little longer. Gravity..

Posts: 28 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2018  |  IP: Logged
CrossJ
SECOND PLACE: PAUL RYAN Look-a-like contest
Member # 884

Icon 1 posted November 24, 2018 08:19 AM      Profile for CrossJ   Email CrossJ         Edit/Delete Post 
KUIU....I wanted one of their ultra down vests once....super light weight and warm. I made the dumb mistake of getting on their email list to watch for sales....no kidding at least 4 emails a day. Their products are good(not a big fan of the camo though), there problem is sizing. Not many options.

Carhartt (along with wrangler ,Levi etc) have all deteriorated in quality. No denim or duck is made here in the U.S. anymore. Its all made overseas somewhere in Asia then cut and assembled in China.

I would pay good money for some carhartts like they made 25 years ago

Maintain

--------------------
A friend will help you move. A good friend will help you move a body.

Posts: 1025 | From: on a water tower | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 24, 2018 08:26 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad we got that puzzle figured out. Damned Gravity! Like Déjà vu all over again!

I'm kind of pissed off at Kuiu. I think I just spelled it correctly, for the first and probably last time. (thanks Mark) But, what I require is an explanation for such a friggin' tongue twister of a company name. It would help me understand why they deliberately decline a really cool, corporate designed name in favor of such a lame one. I'm thinking Hawaiian, or some Inuit Eskimo word for sheep hunting in the mountains. Best I can come up with. But the word is stupid, and you can tell them I said so.

Good hunting. El Bee

PS I guess I'm a little ornery, last night on the flight home, that waitress passed me by on the drinks, AND the damned pretzels! I can remember back when Southwest was generous; two bags of peanuts, and they gave you a WHOLE CAN OF COKE! Now, they fill that tiny cup with ice, then dribble in "maybe" an ounce of coke. Of course, back before murderous Arabs, a flight to Phoenix or Oakland cost $35. I do remember boarding with my .45, Mexican carry, condition 2. That is a distant memory but it's a fact.

edit: in response to geordie....has anybody noticed that the fabric they use for everything, any kind of apparel, must be half rotten when they sew it together? I mean I used to be able to wear a damned tee shirt (no exaggeration) 20 years, and now, it will start fraying around the neck in 2 or 3 years and holes will appear without reason and not because I scraped it or poked a hole in it. My suspicion is that they are using cloth that is already 20 years old when the cut the pattern? Either that or the chemicals the use to give it a washed appearance do too much damage to the threads? Whatever, nothing is as good as it once was, I don't care what kind of bullshit they blow up your ass!

[ November 24, 2018, 08:36 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted November 24, 2018 10:09 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Dave A, been looking all over for a website for Sole. Guess they only sell retail.
can't even fine the thinsulate ones like I bought. oh well.

--------------------

knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted November 26, 2018 05:37 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Darn Tough socks are the bomb!

KUIU is 'pushy' with their emails, but ya could score some nice discounts on good shit, from time to time, if ya take a peek...

I think every coyote hunter would LOVE a pair of Attack pants...the best 'active' hike/hunt pants I've ever tried! And their pacakble Chugach rain gear is top notch, as well.
Kuiu merino wool base layers are OK, worth a buy when they're on closeout. But plain ol' Smartwool base layers are super, and ya really don't need em to be 'camo'...

Mostly, KUIU stuff is geared toward active 'backcountry' hunters, not so much for more sedentary deer huntin'. But seeing as how serious predator callers cover lots of ground, to & fro in a day, there's is something to be said for having attire that's been tailor made for covering ground...

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 26, 2018 07:09 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, maybe? Hey Fred, where ya been?

No, really. Clothes are something that's really optional, as far as the guys, (I'm looking at you, Chad) that wear a blue plaid shirt and call it CAMO. Danny Batistini was another guy that might never have owned anything camo? Like, fishing lures attract fishermen, not fish. Well, somewhat true, at least.

Then again, does Kuiu mention anything about UV filters? So, who are we supposed to be hiding from, the Taliban? I've said it before, sometimes camo is way overrated. But, let me tell you something, 40-50 years ago, it was unavailable, believe it or not! Maybe you could find a piece of WWII jacket but that's it. Now, it's ridiculous. You get any catalog, BassPro, Cabelas etc. and the first half is devoted to camouflage clothing and maybe $200 for a shirt and another $200 for the pants. When they get to the point where you have camo knives and other small stuff, (a camo penlight, for instance) that when you drop it, you can't find it, that's going too far! When it's a status symbol, it's time to bail. There are fortunes made with shit like "Realtree" and "MossyOak". Give me a fucking break!

I just happened to remember, back when I bought my Colt AR15, A1 too, and I never had to use a forward assist that I didn't have. But, anyway, I painted it CAMO! For years now, I've been meaning to scrape that paint off but somehow, never got around to it, I'm pretty sure it's still there, way in the back of the safe, easy to reach when the race riots start. Along with all the illegal magazines. What "button"?

Good hunting. El Bee

[ November 26, 2018, 07:12 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted November 28, 2018 05:39 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Still love my Thorlo wool socks that are fifteen years old and still kicking cost me plenty fifteen years ago and have paid for themselves many times !
I really don't get all this hi tech gota
costa grand to be worth anything ? why is that? I get that you get what you pay for but boots is boots and good footwear starts with socks !

[ November 28, 2018, 05:41 AM: Message edited by: Paul Melching ]

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted November 28, 2018 08:11 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
It seems like the only quality boots out there are the higher priced ones.
Whites, Kenetreks, Lowa, Zamberlan,
I don't consider Wolverine, Carhart, Cat and so forth to be quality. Quantity made yes, quality no.

Socks help greatly or hurt greatly.

Try finding any boot in my size. Ha!

You guys with regular sized and width feet are lucky.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 28, 2018 08:48 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I admit to be very selective, when it comes to the type of hunting boots I think we are talking about? I buy a lot of stuff from Orvis and their Gokie boots are very decent, and they will custom make them, if you have a hard to fit foot. Danner is good, I have a pair I've been wearing for more than ten years, although they are a little snug now, for some reason?

I know White's are good quality but I'm not crazy about the high heels.

I really don't think there are bargains in boots. Sad but true, quality costs money. I used to think Browning made decent boots but the last pair I had that friggin' tongue was always wadded up and never did get it unwadded, just uncomfortable, from day one until I threw them out. Now the thing about my Danners, I had them resoled with vibram and a hell of a lot of boots, you can't do that any more. Molded=cheap shit.

Oh, and try and find a shoe repair shop. The guy that did my Vibram soles must have died, it's something else, these days. That make two local shoe repair shops in this town that aren't there any more.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted November 28, 2018 08:58 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
I went thru my camo phase like 25 years ago. I really have always just preferred solid earth tone colors. Im one of the idiots that have bugged people to come out with solids in hunting clothes, any chance I got. Backpacks, clothing etc...I just like more solid type colors. There is some good looking camo out nowdays though.

I still wear the occasional camo piece, trying to rotate it all out though.
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 28, 2018 11:48 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but. You might like solid colors, (what a "retro"!) so explain how we pay all those royalties to RealTree and the others for dull, unimaginative, earth tones and coyote tan? Quit rocking the boat! There's another buzzword: TACTICAL! Boy, don't that get the juices flowing! Put cargo pockets on a pair of pants and call them "tactical" and you get $200 for a $100 pair of pants.

As far as I am concerned, I think military uniform, in solid or a camp pattern does a decent job. This is predator hunting, not a expedition to darkest Africa and no safe drinkable water since leaving Mombasa. I'm fixed on camo for the foreseeable future, thank you. Sure, I'd love to have a new $500 Kiui outfit. Make all the kids in school green with envy.

In fact, I remember one time, I intentionally wore a green plaid shirt and I thought it blended local vegetation perfectly. I had two guys, different days offer me their spare camo. I'm not making this up. It's called herd something, I forget?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted November 28, 2018 01:42 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
So …………….. This would make my WWII camo "Retro Tactical" ?????

We need to copyright that and sue for the big bucks when it takes off.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7584 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted November 28, 2018 04:34 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah you’re totally right Leonard I don’t have to much Camo to speak of. Short sleeve Plaid shirts and jeans in the spring and summer, long sleeve plaid shirts and jeans in the fall and early winter.lol I do own some camo though a hoodie, and some Sitka stuff in goretex pants and jacket when it’s wet or snowy.😉 Now boots are a different story. I try to buy the best boots I can find. Right now I’m wearing Schnees Beartooth boots, They are a lot like the Kenetreks. They are a great boot for sure...
Posts: 1613 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters