The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Cold feet? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Cold feet?
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted November 19, 2018 04:54 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Went down to the local sporting goods store the other day to buy a new pair of insoles. Have a new pair of 1000 gram boots and they are a little big.
The store carries Sole insoles. Got a new pair of winter insole and they have a thin layer of thinsulate on the bottom. You do a oven heat stick them in the boot and then put them on for 4 minutes and you have a custom fitting insole.
Went out yesterday with them feet were very warm at first. Then in the afternoon we're in a canyon with snow standing around never felt the cold creeping up through the bottom of the boot.
They are expensive but if you're having foot problems and need a good arch the "Sole" brand is the way to go. They have varying insole heights and different thickness of insoles.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted November 19, 2018 06:10 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Soles huh ? sounds interesting. I guess, I can look online which sporting goods store ?

I scored a Kromer hat the other day, never could find 'em with ear flaps before ? Plus this baby is much better insulated than my other one. It's called a Rancher Cap.
https://www.moosejaw.com/product/stormy-kromer-rancher-cap_10338802?hybridPLA=true&ad_id=BingPLA&utm_source=BingPLA&utm_medium=PLA&utm_campaign=Stormy-Kromer&scid=scbplp3564596&sc_ intid=3564596&cm_mmc=PLA-_-BingPLA-_-SC%20Shopping%20-%20Full%20Price%20-%20Brand|SC%20Shopping%20-%20Full%20Price-_-bing|264608337|5495853448|14682680238|pla-4585100929123818:pla- 4585100929123818|c|3564596&msclkid=05ad5ad0e8a915d9a703012384b5672a

[ November 19, 2018, 06:22 PM: Message edited by: Dave Allen ]

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 19, 2018 07:24 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to use those packets that you open and shake and they stay warm for hours. I would put them in the toes of my Mickey Mouse Boots and they work, by god! I use them in mittens too.

I mentioned elsewhere that I used to skate with frozen feet and I meant it. I damaged the capillaries in my feet by the time I was ten years old and that stuff never repairs. Therefore, my feet get colder, faster than regular people. I have to take extreme measures if I'm going to be comfortable in subzero conditions.

I'll tell you this much, hunting at night dead winter conditions ain't for sissies! Takes dedication, Amigos!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted November 19, 2018 08:40 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
I fight more of a cold head than anything else ? I like those silk scarfs anymore also. I keep them in all my Jackets.

Wool blend socks work pretty good for me. I have a pair of Muck Chore boots. I bought a few years ago. Comfy as sneakers but pretty dang warm.

When off work, I wear say Oct to maybe May.

Wife gives me shit when I go to the Grocery Store or something with 'em on !! I love those Damn things !!

earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted November 20, 2018 04:43 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
REI and Cabela's down in the valley carry them.
They are made in Montana. Or you could look them up on the internet.
The one I got this time were the winter one which seems to be a new item.
Other half a pair of Mucks. I don't like and won't wear them. They are anti hunting and trapping and I'm not supporting them.

--------------------

ATexan
Knows what it's all about
Member # 6799

Icon 1 posted November 20, 2018 06:59 AM      Profile for ATexan   Email ATexan         Edit/Delete Post 
I bought a new pair of browning 1200g insulated boots for hunting this winter. I too have the problem of cold feet when out hunting. My last pair of insulated boots were not making the cut. So this time around I went with a rubber style boot instead of a leather/nylon material these boot company's are making now in days.
I am very impressed with these boots. I have spent a couple of cold morning pushing snow and not once did I notice the cold creeping in on my toes. When out walking on icy parking lots and roads not once did I slip! Temps were down to 8 and a steady north breeze of about 30 mph, operating a backhoe in the snow is never a warm adventure but those boots kept my feet warm... dare I say hot? Went out with Sunday quail hunting wearing them. Traction was great, they offer pretty good torn and cactus protection. Temps were not very cold so my feet were really warm after the afternoons hunt. My only issue with these Browning x-vantage boots is they are a little heavy for hiking long distances. But if you are knee deep in snow or doing a lot of stand hunting these boots will do you right and keep them feet of your super warm.

I will say buying boots on the internet is sometimes hit and miss... I have a problem with buying boots and not being able to try them on first. Bugs me not knowing if they fit or not. And good luck with sizing charts. But I am limited to sporting good stores that carry hunting goods. Wal-Mart. That's it so internet shopping is my go to.
Also, has anyone tried the battery operated hot soles that are on the market? Insoles that heat up via a battery pack.. Do they work? I like the idea but not the amount of money most are selling them for..

Posts: 112 | From: Texas | Registered: Mar 2018  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 20, 2018 07:41 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I've seen the battery powered insoles. They aren't cheap, that's the only opinion I have right now.

As far as rubber boots. What I was talking about are the military Mickey Mouse boots. They are either black or white rubber and have a valve for which I never received an adequate explanation? Some say it's to increase an air pocket and provide more insulation. Others say it's for when airborne?

I think you can get these boots used, in decent shape for about $50. The word on the street when I was in the military is that they are great for standing guard duty. But, if you have to walk several miles and your feet sweat, then sit in a foxhole, that's when you will get trench foot or ?

When we were active in the field, almost everybody would wear regular combat boots and overshoes/galoshes, maybe an extra pair of boot socks, which were wool. Not so good for marching somewhere, but if you were working, putting up tents and the like, in snow, the overshoes were the ticket. When I was a kid, everybody had overshoes or "rubbers" over street shoes. Now a days, I couldn't say the last time I saw them advertised? Mostly from when I was a kid in Minneesota. Another hick thing was the "SKATE EXCHANGE". Kids growing up needed a new pair of skates every winter and hardly warn so we would trade them in every year for a pair that fit our growing feet. I always opted for the "Hockey" skates, but later, to be "cool" I got speed skates.

Another stroll down Memory Lane w/Lenbo
Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted November 20, 2018 08:23 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
The last time that I bought boots at Cabela's in Glendale I mentioned to the girl in the boot dept. that I was leery of mail ordering boots to get a proper fit.
Her response was to order best guess correct size and a pair 1/2 size larger and 1/2 size smaller. Try them on indoors, decide the best fit and return the other two pair for refund.
Made sense & simpler than driving to Phoenix.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted November 20, 2018 06:51 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Muck is anti hunting-trapping ya say ?

That really sucks. I guess the better question is who ain't ? That in itself is "REALLY" the question.

When it's rainy or snowy about everyone who walks thru the door @ work. Has 'em on.

It's getting stupid. We have to research. Who's what & who's who. To make a fucking purchase anymore ?

Just sayin'

[ November 20, 2018, 06:55 PM: Message edited by: Dave Allen ]

MI VHNTR
I'm not shaving 'til Obama's gone!
Member # 3370

Icon 1 posted November 20, 2018 08:13 PM      Profile for MI VHNTR   Email MI VHNTR         Edit/Delete Post 
I've tried the Sorel, LaCrosse Rocky, etc. boots and they didn't cut it.

Then I bought these Baffin boots. Now cold feet are a thing of the past.

https://www.baffin.com/collections/winter/products/40000048?variant=8572567027763

--------------------
The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting. It's about Freedom.

FJB Let's Go Brandon

Posts: 394 | From: MI | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted November 20, 2018 08:22 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
EW mentioned orthotic insoles. About 12 years ago, my low back would tighten up during the day and just didn't feel that good. I'd never had any type of major injury. Just the wear and tear of a physical job is what I thought was the cause.

I did lots of walking, stretching, and exercise to help it out. Which it did, but it would never quite go away.

On kind of a whim, I had some custom orthotic inserts made. I've worn them ever since. Within a couple weeks my back didn't tighten up or ache anymore. When I mentioned this to the guy who made them, he said orthotics fix a lot of minor back problems.

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted November 21, 2018 05:04 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Idaho guys. Remember when you bought your first pair of Whites?
They just about killed you then in a week or so they fit like a pair of slippers and you didn't have back/knee problems.

The reason is they have a well made arch built in and the heel is aligned under the leg bones.

Look at how all boots/shoes are made now a days. No arch all flat and you have to buy insoles to get the support you need.

I have 4 pairs of Whites don't wear them. My right leg swell and wearing high lace up boots kills my leg any more.

I have a pair of Kenetreks in rubber bottoms with the felt liners. They are warm and nice and I can walk in them and they don't weigh that much and there is ankle support.
Have a pair of Infernos' from Cabelas. They are light and very warm.
I have more boots than most men do. Do to a very short wide foot. Wear D-E width so finding me boots is hard and when we find something that fits and I like we usually buy them. I usually buy mens is wide width. Women's boot are usually a B-C width and that has probably caused the start of my hammer toe.

--------------------

booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted November 21, 2018 11:19 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting stuff...I may have to try custom orthotics to see if it will help my hip problem after my back fusion!

Has anyone tried vapor barrier socks? Saw this and thought I might have to try it. My feet sweat terribly, and then they get cold...I guess the vapor barriers trick your feet into not sweating?

https://sectionhiker.com/vapor-barrier-socks/

Thought I might give these a shot, and if they don't work, I might try the Soles!

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 21, 2018 01:30 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I had an issue with bone spurs, must have been twenty years ago. I was damned near a cripple, and there I was, on my feet 12 hours a day. I finally consulted a podiatrist, and this guy really knew his shit. He had me stand in these kind of like a shoebox, and squish down in the pliant media which looked a little like the acoustic material you spray on the ceiling. Then he sent those two shoeboxes out and what came back was a hard fiberglass ORTHOTIC, both of them meant to correct your posture.

I had seen the X-rays of my bone spurs and how they grow under the heel bones and they put pressure on nerves between the bone spur and the foot heel bones. The problem with surgery is it's quite painful, and you are left with scar tissue. But the main thing is, remove the bone spurs and they can easily grow back!

So, I started wearing these orthotics, which cost $500, but the actually worked. No more pain and yet, I still had the bone spurs but apparently, my weight was redistributed to the point that it took the pressure off of my heels. Not only that, but since then, having retired, I'm not exacerbating the situation by being on my feet all day. I don't wear them anymore, but I would if I was going to hike up Mount Fuji all weekend.

But, the lady is correct about the lack of arch support in a whole lot of expensive boots and footwear. I have a bit of a problem with a high arch in boots because I am so flat footed, so the orthotics is the answer.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted November 21, 2018 01:40 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Booger have you ever tried sock liners?

When it gets cold and I know I'll be walking a fair amount and sitting for extended perioids, I'll use liners under some good merino wool socks. It seems to keep my feet feeling dryer.

Some people hate the feel of two socks. I kinda like it.

booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted November 21, 2018 01:44 PM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
Lonny,
Are those the Poly-Pro liners? If so, yes. I guess my feet have grown the last couple of years, as my old boots are 12's and it seems like my feet are not really comfortable in anything but 13's now...

My feet stay warmer in my larger boots with the liner and a heavy wool sock than in my size 12's.

Guess the 12's will go the way of a garage sale...

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 21, 2018 06:26 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Same here, Booger. I've been wearing 13's for quite a while now. They are a little roomy but the 12 and 12 1/2 feel cramped.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted November 22, 2018 05:34 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Something has changed with shoe sizes.
I use to wear a 6 or so now I'm buying size 9. I know my feet have changed but not that much.

Everyone should buy 1 or 2 Peet shoe dryers. I think we're up to 4 now. We still pull out all insoles or felt liners to dry and put the boots on the dryer's to get your boots completely dry.

My feet sweat big time. I can soak a thick pair of felt liners in half a day. Then I pay for it with freezing feet. Have to walk a lot to get them warmed up.

--------------------

Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted November 22, 2018 07:07 AM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
A few years before I got orthotic inserts, I noticed I was gradually needing to jump up in shoe and boot size. Went from an 11.5 to the 13's that I wear now.

What I think it really was, was the arches in my feet flattening out with age and working on concrete. That's when I started having the back problems I mentioned above. It stands to reason that foot problems could lead to knee, hip, and back issues.

[ November 22, 2018, 07:09 AM: Message edited by: Lonny ]

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 22, 2018 09:22 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I think similar with me. It's like my feet are growing as I age, WTF? But, it's real, not imagination.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

JoeF
resides "back east"
Member # 228

Icon 1 posted November 22, 2018 04:44 PM      Profile for JoeF   Email JoeF         Edit/Delete Post 
I just did the foot smash in to the pink foam in a shoe box that LB mentions earlier this week. Orthotics ordered.

I thought I had a ankle that was shot, but it turns out that I have a couple of bones farther forward that are rubbing. Podiatrist made it sound like I have nothing to worry about.

I work outside in a chemical plant and can make it through most winter has to offer with good sealed uninsulated leather boots (Wolverine) and wool socks. Real cold days I add the polypropylene liners.

I have a pair of Danners that I hunt in. I think 400 gram thinsulate. I wear them with thin wool socks.

Like the old adage states, (wet) cotton kills. Wool is awesome.

Posts: 646 | From: Midwest | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted November 22, 2018 06:46 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
It seems to me high quality wool socks are the way to go. I've been too cheap lately.

I had a few pairs of Filson Heavy Weights in the day they were awesome. Now day's $30 bucks or so for a pair just doesn't quite trip my trigger.

Perhaps I need to re think for those special days ?

I recently bought several pairs of Wrangler socks. Wool blend & cotton @ BI-MART in Weiser Idaho. It's the only place to shop there. Really the only place..

Anyway I'm somewhat impressed. $5 to $12 bucks a pair depending on what ya get.

I go thru sock buying rampages every few years. I'll pick up another brand or two this weekend maybe & be done for awhile. Bottom line if it's cold & I'm gonna be out there awhile. Wool of some type is the way to go. The more ya pay the better the experience. IMO.

(edit) PS my feet seem to growing also. I bought a pair of Justin Ropers three years ago on sale. Held 'em back. Till' recently. Guess what they fit like shit !!

I went by my old standard 10.5 & D width. It's an 11 & E now. I think ?

About time for new boots soon. Here we go again.

[ November 22, 2018, 06:59 PM: Message edited by: Dave Allen ]

Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted November 23, 2018 03:40 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
I bought Thorlo socks fifteen years ago still using them, feet are toasty ! now my boots come from Walmart lolololololo!

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted November 23, 2018 05:07 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, pay the money for Darn Tough Socks. Wool good and so far I like them. Been buying Costco wool socks which are a great deal. Have noticed here lately that after a couple of seasons of use they aren't doing what they should and we have a pile of them so may be time to clean the closet and start all over with Darn Tough Socks next season. They have different weights.

We have Filson socks and even their long underwear. It sure does itch compared to First Lite. I'll take my First lite any day of the week over Filson. Same price but a lot better.

--------------------

Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted November 23, 2018 07:57 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks !! Darn Tough huh ? I'll check it out. About the only way I can afford Filson is to look for deals on Amazon.

I decided I don't like them though. Here we go again didn't we just have the conversation of what who & where too buy.. lol [Big Grin]

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters