The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Something to think about

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Something to think about
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 16, 2018 11:26 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I ran across this item this morning mainly concerning the California brush fires. First of all, if you look at the video with the article, you can see what I was talking about, people build in the friggin' hills and then they expect the county fire department to save their ass.

Second, this poor schmuck had his lifesavings in a safe. Doesn't say what kind of safe but the fact is, NONE of them are "fire proof" in the commonly held understanding of the term. So, he had cash in the safe because he didn't trust banks. Well, pall, you can't trust anything.

Those safes have a fire rating of between 20 minutes to maybe an hour, depending on how much drywall is fastened to the inside walls. It's supposed to keep the interior below a certain temperature, which might be okay if you had a shed catch on fire outside of the garage and was put out inside of minutes.

Now, there is a man that many of you might have met at one of the campouts, Tom Moore. His fire, down in San Diego resulted in a total loss, right down to animals and vehicles. And the main thing that impressed me, visiting at his newly constructed house was the barrel in the garage stuffed with twisted metal and barrels representing the contents of two gun safes. The manufacturer replaced the safes and wasn't responsible of the contents. As we all know, the optics are usually worth more than the actual firearms and all you have is 30-40 minutes of protection and after that you had better have your insurance fully paid.

You just can't win. In the case of a disastrous house fire, most of us would be in bad shape. At least until insurance coughed up some money. Just a friendly reminder. Read about it ~

https://www.foxnews.com/us/woolsey-fire-destroys-australian-directors-home-burns-savings-kept-in-fire-proof-safe

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted November 17, 2018 03:21 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah that's good info. In regards to insurance always a good idea to check your coverages. Don't assume something is covered, because common sense tells you so.

Winter of 16/17 was a disaster most around here got 4'-5' of snow. It was no biggie @ 1st then after the 1st of the year the storms became more intense.

Old commercial buildings even newer barns & onion storage sheds starting dropping left & right.

We thought the storms would stop or slow down. They only got worse. Everybody wound up being caught with their pants down. Snow so deep now it became extremely difficult to remove.

Turns out insurance didn't cover most folks for their damages. Why ? nobody ever thought to add extra coverage for heavy snow weight on their structures. They were covered for fire-wind-break ins ect..

We never received any news coverage too speak of, probably better. I hate the news !! It was like a a war zone here for awhile. Nothing like the widespread fire shit in Kalifornia though.

I did a good walkaround on my "crib" most of my house has a pretty steep pitch to the roof as well as my barn. Didn't see a need to change anything. Many did or need to though. Hopefully never get a winter like that again.

Oh' yeah while I'm rambling my wife's dad built a new barn about 20 years ago. His insurance agreement stated coverage includes all out buildings, he has several. So he never called the insurance company when he built it. Of course it collapsed after he cleaned the roof best he could, he was 70 then. Several steers were killed that night.

Makes ya think about shit. Aye..

[ November 17, 2018, 03:24 PM: Message edited by: Dave Allen ]

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted November 18, 2018 03:22 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
I am ready for most anything most of the time Dave but now my age and condition have been thinking it might be better if I die in my sleep. A lot less work ! lol

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 18, 2018 07:52 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
What a novel idea, Paul! I might request that solution for myself!

Good Hunting. El Bee

Good hunting? Well yesterday started off in a normal way, then while watering out back, I pulled out a chair to sit on, while I had the hose in a large planter. So, as I tipped the chair to pull it from the table, I felt something and looked down. There was a good sized roof rat right between my feet! Apparently, it was hiding under the cushion? I jumped like a little girl and it scurried into the bamboo. But, I could see about 4 inches of tail sticking out. I grabbed my custom Palo Verde cane and poked it where I thought it would do the most good and he came out facing me, MANO E MANO. One more careful thrust and I had him convulsing and bleeding from the ear so I knew I would be victorious and applied the Coux de graux. Heart goes pitter patter. An epic battle I will long remember! I knew they were around because they have been gorging on the ripe cactus fruit and discarding the empty shell. I still got it!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted November 18, 2018 08:36 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
I hate rats !! Haven't seen one here yet ? I saw one awhile back crossing the road. It had a striped tail ? weird.

Watering out back ? Damn it was 15* this morning doing chores. Hoses all rolled up, except for the one to fill the cows water tank. I fill it then lift up & walk it to drain so it wont freeze.

I hear ya Paul @ 53 I'm getting to old for this shit [Razz]

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 18, 2018 10:39 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Our overnight lows are about 57/60* right now, daytime it gets to the low 70's; really brutal!

Good hunting. El Bee

[ November 18, 2018, 10:50 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted November 18, 2018 12:49 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Ya know. I complain about cold weather. Ours ain't as bad as others though ?

That being said. I'd kinda be lost without it ?

Weird huh ?

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 18, 2018 01:41 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
There is also something to be said for fair weather. Remember, I spent my early years in Minnesota and this is no bullshit; I used to walk over a mile to school, uphill, in both directions. That first snow is lovely, after that I don't know anybody that throws her hat in the air like Mary Richards, in January.

I used to skate all night with feet so frozen I couldn't feel them. It was always looking forward to the spring melt when all that frozen dog shit thawed, nice and gooey, hard to scoop up with a shovel.

Right now, I live at the base of a 12,000 ft mountain with ski lift, and can go up there in 20 minutes whenever I need to look at snow. That's what we used to say in support of southern California; mountains in the morning and the beach in the afternoon. This is entirely possible.

Then, there's the fires, the mudslides and the earthquakes. It ain't Paradise.

Good hunting. El Bee

PS I should have put that rat in the trash bin. This morning it was gone, and I'm sure he didn't wake up and crawl off somewhere?

[ November 18, 2018, 01:42 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted November 18, 2018 01:59 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
More fun to gift wrap dead things and leave them next to bus benches. [Big Grin]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted November 18, 2018 06:48 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
There is something to be said about "fair weather" for sure. SoCal is probably perfect in that regard.

There are places worse than here. I would say 100 degree temp swings would be about normal. Summer highs to Winter lows. It can vary year to year though.

I've seen 111* and -*25 not in the same year. Just sayin'

My critters ain't too bad haired up yet. Maybe a good sign ?

DiYi
Wears wife's pink panties under his camo for good luck. (yeah, right!)
Member # 3785

Icon 1 posted November 19, 2018 04:01 AM      Profile for DiYi           Edit/Delete Post 
Few times I've been to California I've really liked it.The problem is the I dislike the majority of the people and their F ing Government.
Leonard I also grew up in Mn.I hear you but again,nowadays it's the majority of the people that really suck.It's the midwest version of 'Cali'.

Posts: 623 | From: SoDak | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
NVWalt
Does not claim to be overly bright!
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted November 19, 2018 04:50 AM      Profile for NVWalt           Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking about insurance. Remember Mt. St. Helens? All the people that lived up there had flood insurance to cover their homes but it didn't cover mud. So they all lost their shorts on that deal also. Those insurance companies exist to make money for the shareholders not pay out what may be due.
Had just a few friends along the river that lost their homes and life savings also because of it.

--------------------
Support Communism and help destroy the United States of America ! VOTE DEMOCRAT. "In the end, they aren't coming after me. They are coming after you!" D.Trump

Posts: 636 | From: Tellico Plains, TN | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 19, 2018 07:52 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Walt, don't get me started on insurance!

I can't tell you how much I hate the concept and the ritual involved in claims. I waited once, due to bad advice and this was after being rear ended by a friggin' Los Angeles School District bus, and the claim was denied because it had been just over 6 months. My truck was totaled, my insurance paid scrap prices less $500 deductible, and vehicle rentals. The bad advice was from my goddamned insurance company!
I wasn't even able to recover an almost new battery and a very expensive Blaupunkt radio and tape deck from the storage yard!

Got time? I have a lot more.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters