The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Any Knee doctors in the house?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Any Knee doctors in the house?
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted November 15, 2018 05:04 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Dog jerked me off my feet today. Banged the knee or twisted it plus getting a rock in the back.
Third time since Sept I've twisted/banged the left knee. It's screaming tonight
Don't know if the first twist in Sept sprained the LCL or I've torn the meniscus.
[Frown]

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted November 16, 2018 06:03 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
I am not a knee doctor, but I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night! [Big Grin]

As a veteran of 3 surgeries on my right knee, ranging from torn meniscus, to an ACL AND an MCL tear, I can speak a little bit about what might be going on.

I can say that if it is a torn meniscus, it will get better eventually, but nag you in little ways afterword...swelling, pain here and there. My first tear was a quarter sized separation when I was a sophomore in high school. I would twist the wrong way, and the cartilage would lodge under my kneecap and almost make me wet my drawers.

With some manipulation, it would pop back out until the next time. Surgery took care of that.

I tore my ACL and MCL at the same time. When I went to the same doc that did my first surgery, he mis-diagnosed me. This was in 1981, and was before MRI's were readily available. I can say that if you tore those, you would have a hard time walking. I was on crutches for 4 weeks, and it ended up taking about 9 months before I could really walk and run without much pain.

I was in pretty good shape then, and my current doc told me that my quad, hamstring and calf muscles over compensated to make it sort of work. I knew something wasn't right with it as when I made a cut on the basketball court after somewhat healing, my knee would click and it would feel like the bottom part of my leg was separating from the top part...the result of having no ligament support.

I have had 2 arthroscopic surgeries on the same knee since 2010. I could tell something wasn't right before each one, as it would swell up like a cantelope.

The knee is good now that everything is fixed. A good ortho doc can tell pretty quick with an MRI what is going on.

A sprain will take time to heal...just be liberal with the ice pack when you are off of it.

Just don't wait to long to have it looked at. If I would have had a second opinion when I tore my ligaments, I would have had the surgery and been better off. I can say it would have kept me from having to wear a brace now when I hunt, and wouldn't have given me the issues in the last 8 years!

Good luck!

[ November 16, 2018, 06:14 AM: Message edited by: booger ]

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 16, 2018 09:07 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I don't know, but one thing I am pretty sure of, if you actually tear a ligament you are pretty much screwed.

Anyway, ditto "2 arthroscopic surgeries" on my left knee which helped, I guess? But what I had was called a "partial" knee replacement. I'm afraid I don't have the technical terms at hand, but my cut is about 8" off to the side. As I understand it, with a full knee replacement, they slice it right down the centerline.

Anyway, in my case, complete success, except for the click when I walk. But, no pain and no physical problems, at all. Recovery was a total bitch, with the machine that moved my leg, super painful but that only lasted, as I recall 6 weeks or so? I'd have to say that doing the surgery was the correct thing to do, on my part, otherwise there was always pulverized bone fragments, but think sand sandwiched in the kneecap. I something like 20+ years now, and no problems. I hear that a lot of these things are usually good for 20 years or so, but the last time my surgeon looked at me he was so proud of himself that he asked permission to take an Xray for to show what a successful surgery should look like. No big deal, he was already going to Xray my hips and that still hasn't been resolved, must be at least 8 years ago?

Anyway, in my experience, the knee surgery apparently has been perfected, wish I hadn't screwed around with the 2 arthroscopic surgeries.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted November 16, 2018 07:10 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Things are a hair bit better. But very sore if the knee doesn't set and it goes back past neutral. I've had it pop a couple times today so me thinks a tear in the meniscus.

I've got a new right knee. When the doctor replaced it he said that I had a dime size piece of meniscus left.

We went down to the valley to the other place and grabbed some things we forgot when we made the escape in October. So I grabbed a couple of knee braces.

The outside of the left knee where the tendons go is sore and I've never had that before so that one has me a little worried. But still feel like I have control and nothing feels loose.

Also rubbing a lot of Australian Dream into it and it allows me to sleep at night. Plus Ice when I sit down.

--------------------

Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted November 17, 2018 06:44 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Both of mine squeak no fluid in either one to many motorcycles races the bursa sacks are goners ! they sound like coffee grinders !

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted November 18, 2018 04:20 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Paul have you tried synvics (sp?) It's like Slick 50 for the knees.
I had the shots for several years until it quit working. Great stuff a little tough to take the shots in the knee.

My knee is feeling better just watching how I walk very closely.
Geez if some part of the body wasn't complaining on a daily basis I'd think I was dead.

--------------------

Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted November 18, 2018 05:17 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Even being a cancer survivor I still don't like doctors they don't give a shit whether you live or die.
I don't care for drugs Ill just tuff it out !

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 18, 2018 08:01 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
^ Man, that's hard core!

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted November 18, 2018 02:54 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
No shit! Get some Australian Dream cream. Expensive, no smell no burning feeling. Put it on and about an hour later it'll dawn on you you're not hurting any more. Does it work all the time? Not for me. Switch between Ceytl M joint action cream for horses and Australian Dream cream. 8oz of Ceyt M is $30 and 4 oz of Australian Dream cream is $29.
Just don't tell the makers of Ceytl M that you are using it on yourself. [Big Grin]

--------------------

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters