The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Sourdough bakers?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sourdough bakers?
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted November 13, 2018 09:31 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone use it bake with it?

Learning how to use it. Grew up with it. A lady who was my second mom was a wiz at it. She made it look so easy. Which it probably is.
At the time I was around her I was to young and didn't want anything to do with the kitchen.
So at 60 I'm learning how to become a better baker and a cook. I've always been a down and dirty cook as I call it. Just fast and easy.

Trying my second batch of sourdough bread today. Things are looking somewhat better. I have so much "sponge" that I need to use it or throw it out and I don't like to do that.

You never quit learning.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted November 13, 2018 11:45 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
As a young man I worked in a Jewish bakery actually got may master bakers cert from the union as well as pastry chef bread baker and cake decorator confectioner! we used a sour that had been brought over from the Old Country in this case Latvia it was several hundred years old. It made amazing breads, my last official act each day was to feed the sour. I look back on that brief time in my life with great appreciation and fondness as the men that I worked with that taught me the craft all had tattoos on their wrists just number's fine men all !

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted November 13, 2018 11:49 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
And remember cooking is art baking is chemistry !!!!!

--------------------

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted November 13, 2018 12:00 PM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
One of the things that my ancestors brought from Russia was a sourdough flat pancake called 'blina'...Jewish word is a blintz, and is similar to a crepe.

I can't remember anyone ever running out of the starter to make the batter...mom just used to mix up some more yeast and I can't remember what else to add back to the crock. I am sure what mom and aunts used in the 60's and 70's came over with the folks when they landed here in 1906.

We would typically eat these for a light supper with syrup along with home made pork sausage.

Almost every kitchen of the Volga German women in our neighborhood had a small crock with the sourdough starter used to make these. I can still smell the yeasty mixture when my mom took the top off of the crock to make the batter...

[ November 13, 2018, 12:01 PM: Message edited by: booger ]

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted November 13, 2018 01:07 PM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
We used rye flour to feed the sour ! It is its own yeast !

[ November 13, 2018, 01:11 PM: Message edited by: Paul Melching ]

--------------------

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted November 13, 2018 01:09 PM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Blintzes' are a gift from God !

--------------------

booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted November 13, 2018 01:14 PM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,
That could be what mom used. I know my grandma was a master baker, and one of the things I absolutely loved was her fresh rye bread out of the oven with real butter!

I remember grandma always had a big sack of rye flour in the basement!

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted November 13, 2018 01:18 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing better than sour dough biscuits. That and fried potatoes and Fried Lamb Chops. Man I’m in heaven when I’m eating that meal. I know a few guys that have Sour dough starts. I had one a while back but it went bad. You have to tend to it regularly or it turns and orange color that’s when you know it’s going bad. Lots of Sheepmen around here have the starts and they make great biscuits.

Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1623 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 13, 2018 03:16 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
There are a couple famous bakery's in San Francisco that bake sourdough bread. It's pretty damned good. Enough so that the last minute boarders at SFX bring a loaf or two to stuff in the overhead. As far as I know they lock it up at night and the culture has been going for at least 150 years, same stuff.

You can't get it down here but there are others you can buy. In fact I just bought two loaves an hour ago at Costco.

Good hunting. El Bee

[ November 13, 2018, 03:17 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31472 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted November 13, 2018 04:22 PM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Tim
Nothing like hearth baked rye , we use nothing but real butter in our home never have used anything but !

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 13, 2018 04:31 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Another vote for butter! Margarine, I don't know what to believe, some people say it is a form of plastic, or something like that? Whatever, but it costs damned near as much as the real stuff and I never eat it if I can help it. Same thing with 2% milk or skim milk. I buy whole milk. I think people are kidding themselves thinking that stuff makes them more healthy. A baked potato with margarine? Ugh!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 14, 2018 10:38 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Another thing. Mostly, Some French food gags me, organ meat.for instance. But one thing they do that I have not begun to master is cooking/frying with butter. I usually scorch and burn it, it's safer to use corn oil, sometimes olive oil.

At Ruth's Chris, they say their speciality is a New York Strip. It's a man size steak and they always put a pat of butter on top when it's served. I went to a restaurant last year where there was a family group and the waiter brought around the various steaks, (raw) on a big platter and you could select the one you liked and how you wanted it done. The first thing they set that platter between my daughter and her 21 year old daughter, who is currently a vegan, and she was gagging or disturbed, something? She will probably grow out of it at some point because I have heard that her temptation/weakness is a burger. We'll see? I have a niece that went through that fad and now it's just a faded memory. I don't care how healthy you want to eat, in moderation or excess, but vegan is illogical and they are kidding themselves if they think they are going to die healthy.

PS I had a hell of a good Rib Eye last night. Pan fried in a cast iron skillet, a Crescent Foundary Ozark that's antique and valuable. It belonged to Karen's grandmother. I love it!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted November 14, 2018 12:18 PM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
LB,
Very interesting about your granddaughter being a vegan.

A couple of years ago I heard Tovar Cerulli speak...he wrote a book called 'The Mindful Carnivore'.

He was a vegan for about 10 years and he ended up very sickly and went to an MD for advice.

The doc told him in no uncertain terms that he needed to be eating animal protein, i.e. meat, and if he didn't he would probably end up dying.

He spoke to our hunter ed group about how he worked his way back into fishing and hunting and how wild game meat had brought him back to health.

Pretty interesting. I myself, could never give up a good steak or burger.

Growing up on a farm, we ate, or cooked everything. Even though I came from a farming background, my folks never ate the brains or kidneys on their own.

In our family we made a product called 'head cheese' when we butchered hogs. This is where the 'undesirable' cuts of meat went...heart, liver, kidneys, and cheek meat from the hog's head.

I liked it when I was a kid...not so much after I got old enough to help and saw what went in it...

[ November 14, 2018, 12:20 PM: Message edited by: booger ]

--------------------

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters