The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Just checking back in...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Just checking back in...
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted November 09, 2018 06:50 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
Morning, everyone!

I have been out of commission for about the last 10 months…lots of stuff going on, and I wasn’t able to hang around my old haunts!

If you all remember, (or don’t), I had back surgery in August of 2017…it worked partially, but I found out I needed another surgery in March of this year. I ended up having a fusion of 3 of my lumbar vertebrae on May 11th. The doc also cleaned up what he did in August of last year.

Am doing just great and have not issues at all with my back! Unfortunately, I think I may have a bad right hip, but am going to check that out on the 29th of this month. All in all, I am back to almost full strength, and looking forward to being able to hunt this year.

10 days after my back surgery, my mom’s apartment building burned down. Fortunately, she is OK, but her stuff had extensive water damage. We got her moved into an assisted living facility, and my wife and I spent most of the past 6 months dealing with property insurance, long term care insurance, drug plans and just general stuff to get a 95 year old person settled into new living arrangements. Also paying all of her bills, so that has been a new challenge!

When I wasn’t sitting with an ice pack on my back, I was sitting in the shade watching my wife do yard work. I am a woodcarver, so I made a pile of chips carving snowmen and Santas! I almost OD’d on watching DVR’d hunting shows as well!

I dipped my toe into the precision rifle pond, picking up a Ruger Precision Rifle in 6mm Creedmoor this summer. Looking forward to seeing how it works on coyotes as well as deer coming up soon.

I’m sitting at my desk here at the bank wishing I was out calling this morning…we ended up with 3” of snow yesterday, it is wind still and 20 degrees. Getting winter weather already in Kansas is reminiscent of the 70's when we used to get much more snow earlier...hope that is the case this year!

Looking forward to getting all caught up here!
Tim

[ November 09, 2018, 06:53 AM: Message edited by: booger ]

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted November 09, 2018 07:25 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome back Tim. Very glad for you that the back operations are working for you. So many people seem to have less than great results.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted November 09, 2018 07:26 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Dave!

Do you have any experience with the 6mm Creedmoor? Have you tried the 6.5 version?

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted November 09, 2018 07:56 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
No, haven't ever even beheld a Creedmoor in the flesh. I know next to nothing about them.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted November 09, 2018 08:39 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Me neither, thanks for asking! lol

But, since I am an opinionated butthead, I will say what I think. I'm rather mystified that the Creedmoor is now the greatest since sliced bread. I am aware that there are a few design elements about a cartridge case that contribute to internal ballistics. The hot ticket is short fat dimensions, and I even read somewhere that taken to extremes, perhaps the most efficient would be a round cartridge, kinda like a perfectly round nuclear core of Plutonium.

Anyway, I've said before, there is a hell of a lot of magic in a name. "220Swift" conjures up a lot more excitement than "6.8X45". Magnum used to be a buzzword, maybe the bloom is off the rose a little bit?

But, Creedmoor? WTF? And, what is it about dimensions such as the neck length and the case taper and other specs that are so brilliantly designed that all these grown men just gotta have this particular cartridge. It's a teenage fad, near as I can tell? The cool kids are wearing this shoe and that shirt and a similar looking copy is only worn by the nerds, not the cool kids.

I'm not impressed, or am I too late to be brief? In what way is a 6mm Creedmoor a hot ticket and my plain vanilla 243Winchester is BOOORRRRINGGG!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31474 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted November 09, 2018 09:38 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
LB...I am way sorry I did not ask you!!!

You will probably chastise me for this, but I sold a perfectly good, very accurate, .243 to buy the RPR.

I just thought I would give it a try, as the guy I was buying it from needed the money and I bought it about $800.00 less than I could have got it retail with all of the extra stuff that was put on after!

At any rate, it will not kill anything any deader, but I just wanted to try it!

--------------------

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted November 09, 2018 10:47 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Just don't go calling it your Creed and acting all operator as fuck and it's all good [Big Grin] .

- DAA

--------------------

Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted November 09, 2018 11:39 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to hear you are better Tim , sorry for your Mom's losses fires are a bitch. Have fun with the Creed Operator LOl , enjoy your new venture in rifles. Hope your window at the bank looks out on a field of yeller grass that should be torture !

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted November 09, 2018 01:35 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Good to see ya Tim.
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted November 09, 2018 02:58 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome back !!!!!!

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7584 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
NeilA
Knows what it's all about
Member # 6789

Icon 1 posted November 09, 2018 07:16 PM      Profile for NeilA   Email NeilA         Edit/Delete Post 
I’m curious to hear how the Creedmor works for you.

I shoot a 6.5 Swede for deer and it works fine.

Posts: 28 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2018  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 09, 2018 07:23 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Booger, It's like my old buddy Vic told me a long time ago. ('other Vic)

He said you are buying a dream! That's it. Everybody has a dream. I don't care what it is, I always hankered for a 375 H&H Magnum. Somebody else always wanted a 416 Jeffery, or a 218Bee. It doesn't matter, it's something you don't have but you always wanted, like a 280Ackley Improved, something anybody would be proud to own. You know, like that Creed...nah, nah that don't get it, lusting for a 6mm Creedmoor?

And, yet they do!

Good hunting. El Bee [Cool]

edit: and happy Veteran's Day!
In my entire working life, I am a Vet but I never had Veteran's Day off.

[ November 09, 2018, 07:25 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Aznative
FARTS ON CLUELESS LIBERALS
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted November 10, 2018 08:19 AM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to hear are feeling better and have taken care of your mother. I feel for what you are going through with your mom. I'm responsible for my 88 year old mother who has dementia. I have an adopted sister and an adopted brother who have been taking care of her. It works because mom is happy being in her home with her two cats. It was three cats but one came down with feline leukemia, and I had to arrange for its disposal last week while on a deer hunt. Things are always coming up.

I used the wording "...who have been taking care of her" purposely because my brother died on Sept 5th. He was about 55 years old and a worthless drug addicted piece of shit. He was more of a hindrance than help. Mom was his enabler and has always taken care of him. It makes my day to see that I outlived him despite being ten years older.

I know what you mean by us having dreams Leonard. I purchased a 375 H&H thinking I would hunt both Alaska and Africa someday. Both dreams went to hell in a handbag with the Great Recession. I'm doing a lot better than most. I didn't default or lose any property, but three years ago I did sell about 5 acres of irrigated land for half of what I could have sold it for before the recession. I own my home and own two of my three rental homes. I"m paying extra on the third rental home and should own it in three years. Our annual salary with the pensions, SS, and rental properties is double the medium income for Phoenix.

I have a friend with a 6.5 creedmore on an AR10 DPMS platform. It is accurate enough for coyote and big enough for deer. He tried using it on the deer hunt we just went on and discovered it is a heavy SOB. I discovered an interesting issue with this cartridge when I called Hodgdon Powder about the total absence of H4350. H4350 is my favorite 243 winchester powder. The rep that I talked to said they are making more of it every time they make a batch. He blamed it on the rise in popularity in the 6.5 creedmore. He also said they are just about ready to get another 50,000 lb batch distributed. Sure enough I found some H4350 a few weeks later.

--------------------
Never thought the devil would need a teleprompter but I could be wrong.

United State of America: RIP
Born July 4th 1776 died November 6th 2012

Posts: 1926 | From: Phoenix Az | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 10, 2018 08:52 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel for ya, AZ. This is an argument I had with a girlfriend, who has two sons and is divorced. I told her that a daughter is worth her weight in gold, when the time comes. But, she calls her modified family The Three Musketeers. I said I'd trade both boys for one daughter. The boys will spend the money to take care of mom but that's it, they won't really get involved like a daughter.

I don't know what to think about rentals? I'm out of it right now. I think I would have done better investing in guns and gold. But then, you never want to sell! So, what good are they, really?

I also have a brother, who has a wife who doesn't think her husband's family is worthy. I don't see much of him, haven't talked in 12 years, but I guess he survived open heart? All that family stuff is petty but, whatever. It's not him, it's her.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: I was pretty sure but had to go out to the shop and check. I use a 74 Berger and a 70 gr. Nosler BT in 243 and it's H4831, although I have used a lot of 4350 in the past but I used to use 80/87 grain bullets. Whatever works.

edit: why don't you order from MidSouth or natchez or 3 or 4 others that will waive hazmat if you buy enough?

[ November 10, 2018, 09:13 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted November 11, 2018 06:08 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Good to see ya back Tim.
Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Aznative
FARTS ON CLUELESS LIBERALS
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted November 12, 2018 07:15 AM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I agree that daughters are the ones that will move back in to take care of their parents. I've known several cases where daughters have done so, but I have never heard of a son moving back in.

I load 87 grain berger varmints bullets in my 243 with H4350. I would certainly try H4831SC if I was using anything heavier.

--------------------
Never thought the devil would need a teleprompter but I could be wrong.

United State of America: RIP
Born July 4th 1776 died November 6th 2012

Posts: 1926 | From: Phoenix Az | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 12, 2018 08:07 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I have never used 4831sc? I started hand loading in 1969, so I've tried a lot of all that IMR and Hodgdons. I was reading a couple days ago in the latest Guns and Ammo that (my goodness) I'm still using old fashioned single base stick powder. I swear to god, I wish I had never learned about "temperature sensitive powders"! Of course, I always make sure of my zero regardless of Summer Fall Winter Spring Anybody remember that Princess? Anyway, It's a given, if it's sub zero, I will lose a little velocity. I take that into account just like if the friggin' wind is blowing left to right. And all this without a computer aided app. It's a wonder I ever hit a damned thing?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters