The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Fair weather softies (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Fair weather softies
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted October 13, 2018 02:22 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Made it up o.k. and unloaded and settling in.
Just to let you know its SNOWING!!

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 13, 2018 03:50 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
It’s been raining all day with just a couple pauses. Started before I got up about 5:30. So, it’s headed your way Paul. Enjoy!

Good hunting. El Bee 🐝

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31473 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted October 14, 2018 03:16 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
21 degrees so at 0500. Probably go down more at sun rise. After today suppose to warm up and be dry for a few days.

When we came into town yesterday seen a guy walking all bundled up. Had to look at the temp gauge. It said 48 degrees. I thought what a wuss.
Got to the house the NE wind was a howling big time. After being out in it for a while decided the guy wasn't a wuss. When you're not use to it or dressed right it gets cold. As the snow flurries and wind increased the temp dropped like a rock.

--------------------

Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted October 14, 2018 04:31 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
If the house gets under 60 I start the stove and burn wood till we reach 68-70 ! I don't mind the cold when I am outside actually like it just don't want my sweet wife cold in the home ! Leo it rained all day Sat. supposed to be partly cloudy with rain on Tues. !

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted October 14, 2018 04:33 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
THE WEATHER IS MORE UNUSUAL THAN USUAL !

--------------------

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted October 14, 2018 08:40 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
OMG!

Do you mean; CLIMATE CHANGE?

The GLOBAL WARMING kind?

You falling for that malarkey?

But, I forget. Temperatures, aside from windchill, is heightened by humidity or by elevation, i.e.: thinner air? What is the claim, people in cold climates have thinner blood or something?

Somebody knows this stuff. ko ko?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted October 14, 2018 01:15 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I BELIEVE;
That people are born to live in certain climates & that place is not necessarily their birthplace.

Paul was just meant to live in the cool, tall pine forest.
I was meant to wear shorts & flip-flops in the desert heat.
I know a couple of guys that if the Judge sentenced them to six months alone on a fire tower, they would beg for hard time instead. Yet, EarthWalker seems to find contentment & peace up there.
Once a person is in the right place and at ease with it heat, cold, rain, snow & a bit of wind are all just part of normal.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7584 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted October 14, 2018 04:10 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, and what about those fools stuck in The People's Republik? No sympathy? Fuk em!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

MI VHNTR
I'm not shaving 'til Obama's gone!
Member # 3370

Icon 1 posted October 14, 2018 05:43 PM      Profile for MI VHNTR   Email MI VHNTR         Edit/Delete Post 
Did someone say snow? No big deal. A view of the camp from last week.

-

[ October 14, 2018, 05:44 PM: Message edited by: MI VHNTR ]

--------------------
The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting. It's about Freedom.

FJB Let's Go Brandon

Posts: 394 | From: MI | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted October 14, 2018 06:43 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
When the epithet for Calif. is finally written, I'm pretty sure it will read;
"You get what you settle for and you deserve what you get".
Calif. had EVERYTHING going for it and good people stood by and let it go to Hell.
Pretty sure that it started when they outlawed cruising Van Nuys Blvd.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7584 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 14, 2018 09:20 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody notice that Vic ain't checking in? I happen to know he lives on the Florida panhandle. When he ain't in Mc Neal. Hope he's ok?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted October 15, 2018 02:47 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Was wondering what part of FL he is in and wondering if he was affected by that shit storm.

21 degrees in my camp yesterday morning.

-

Cold, clear, not too windy, coyotes howling in every direction. What is not to love?

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted October 15, 2018 03:21 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
We bottomed out at 19. I think we're on our third snow of the season.
Took a little drive yesterday. Got up to 7200 feet. On the north side of the mountain there was a fair amount of snow left in the shaded spots and road was covered. The tall peaks have their winter coats started. By the end of the week upper 60's.
True Indian summer.
General elk season opens today.it looked like a war zone yesterday glad we have late season cow tags. Yes, every license plate in the country is out there. Wish the flatlanders would learn how to drive mountain roads though.

--------------------

DiYi
Wears wife's pink panties under his camo for good luck. (yeah, right!)
Member # 3785

Icon 1 posted October 15, 2018 03:38 AM      Profile for DiYi           Edit/Delete Post 
21 degrees in NE SoDak this AM.Mini blizzard wednesday left about 5 inches of snow with some 2 ft drifts.Mostly melted and gone now except for ditches,woods,etc.Small potholes/wetlands frozen but will soon open again.64 forecast for thursday.
Waterfowl,deer(bow) and coyote hunting excellent.Love Fall but it's too damn short.

Posts: 623 | From: SoDak | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted October 15, 2018 04:13 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Right at 508 am its 39 outside I have achieved 74 inside and the wind is about 40 mph out of the East it never blows out of the east! LEO Its just the weather always changing !

And KOKO don't you remember cruising Sepulveda Blvd. Remember Oscars?

--------------------

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted October 15, 2018 06:08 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Don't remember Oscar's but we had Tommy's, the home of the edible enema. Chili-cheese greaseburgers that were mighty fine. And the FRIES !!!!!! [Cool]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 15, 2018 08:48 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Cruising, local was Valley Blvd. Sometimes Las Tunas. Sometimes Whittier Blvd. Even Verdugo, Beach Blvd, PCH.

I always associated Tommy's on Rampart with after Dodger games and seeing some of the players drop in. Bob's Big Boy wasn't hardly worth the drive, and they had that sweet relish on the burgers. We had several In N Out's around town and One that we always called In and Out but was actually called Russ' Burgers, Also, Burger Q and the A&W. Stan's Drive In was actually the setting for that scene in American Graffiti with the squad car. Another very popular place, The Pit. Specialized in 25 cent chile dogs.

Of course, back then, you could get a half way decent burrito on any corner. Not anymore. They knew how to fold it so you could pick the damned thing up! Not now. They are $12 minimum and you need a knife and fork. Tacos? Forget it! Nowadays, they have designer tacos with prawn, or carnitas and Angus beef and WTF? Sour Cream? Where did they come up with a "chimichanga"?

I'm pretty sure, when I was a kid, just about the only McDonald's was on Rosemead in Downey and the fries and the burgers were either 9 cents and 11 cents or visa versa? The Donut Hole was just down the street, drive right through the middle of it. Really, before Shakey's, we had a local Petrillo's Pizza. Still there in San Gabriel and still the best. Another place we would frequent was The Hat. Famous Pastrami sandwiches. Now, it's a mini chain, there are two around here less than 5 miles away, still the same pastrami sandwich. There is enough meat spilled on the yellow paper for another sandwich but we ate it with our fingers. Nobody can eat two of their pastrami's.

That's like down in City Terrace. There is a Mexican Restaurant called La Tappia, I think is how it's spelled? They have a couple burritos, the Hollinbeck and the Manual that are the size of a loaf of bread. You just can't eat it all. It's right across the street from a Catholic Church and there is a line to get in the door. There is non finer, more authentic Mexican restaurant in southern California. If you look in the kitchen you will see about ten guys working on frying pans the size of garbage can lids. Don't expect to get in and out of this place in an hour for lunch. Can't be done.

Strolling down Memory Lane

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: by the way, didn't Tommy's "invent" chile fries?

[ October 15, 2018, 08:58 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted October 15, 2018 10:20 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, my comment about the decline of Calif. coinciding with banning cruising was only partly in jest.
To cruise you needed a ride. A fine ride. A fine ride to drive with pride.
Your parents 'might' have bought you a Pinto or a Vega if they had coin but NOBODY cruised in such a thing.
To get a ride you needed ………(gasp)…….. a JOB.
And once you had a job you quickly learned that the better job the better ride you could afford. And the better ride you had the better looking chicks you picked up.
Kind of a circle of life type of thing that leads to a 30 year mortgage and 2.5 kids.
Kids now spend the day with their faces in a phone that their parents pay for.
Truly sad.

--------------------

Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted October 15, 2018 11:04 AM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Check In:

Doing good here. We survived just fine, lucky to be on the right side of this one evidently? It hit 75 miles east of us, Panama City and Mexico Beach. "They" those in the know, say if it had hit the same distance away, but on the west of us, it would have been a shit storm here, something about rotational forces etc?

We had good rains, bit windy, but nothing catastrophic, lots of mild tree damage, big limbs and dead branches scattered around, lots of clean up, but no damage to house.
First time Ive seen Walmart stripped out like it had been looted, amazing, aisle after aisle absolutely empty and lines down the streets waiting to get gas.
All is good, hope you Arizona guys keep getting some rain, we need all we can get! I check a 15 minute updated web cam just down the road from my McNeal place to check on weather conditions etc, looked like we had been getting some moisture down that way too.

Posts: 1630 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted October 15, 2018 11:15 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Good to hear from you and glad you didn't suffer anything serious Vic!

It's a drought stricken sumbitch all across my area of operations. Worst I've ever seen it, over a huge area. Finally got some moisture last week, but not very much of it and that was the first drop of rain a lot of this country has seen in 100 days.

Think I read that officially, been the driest year on record in Utah. Said that little bit of moisture we got last week, was more rain than we had got for the entire year combined since the same week a year ago. And it really wasn't that much rain!

Dryer than a popcorn fart out there. Range is in terrible shape. Critters are hurting. Silt beds, my gawd, can't go anywhere without Baja 1000 style silt beds to negotiate, sometimes for hours on end. Haven't had to put my Jeep in 4WD yet just to get through the dust, but both of my buddies I have been out with lately have had to use 4WD in their trucks to keep from getting stuck in the dust. Stuck, in fucking DUST!

Good sized chunk of my world, all burned to hell and gone forever, too and what's left is drought stricken all to hell.

It's bad.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted October 15, 2018 11:38 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Someone mentioned driving mountain roads...I swear..yes.. keep to the right going around blind turns. This is just common sense, you dont stay in the middle of the fuckin road when you go around a tight curve on winding mountain roads. Twice lately I have come grill to grill while slamming on the brakes with people that think driving in the middle of the road or on the left side of the road going up or coming down the hill is a good idea. And Im sorry.. (not really)..they are all mexicans that cant drive! Ill never understand this shit! No common sense at all and they just dont give a shit.

I hate this fucking state.
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted October 15, 2018 11:48 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah we were out a couple weeks ago. And like Dave said it is very dry definitely worse than I’ve seen it. Lots and Lots of huge burns. And it definitely effected the calling that’s for sure. And yes those dusty roads were a bitch.

Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1624 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 15, 2018 11:54 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That kind of reminds me of Basic Training up in Fort Ord. We were in D-11-3 three story barracks further up the hill but we marched to the beach where the KD ranges were, in actual dust that was a powder like talcum about a foot deep. I guess this was a result of decades of troops marching those trails and pulverizing the ground? Thinking about it today, it's amazing "something" wasn't done? We were breathing this stuff, serious. Blowing your nose produced actual mud and tramping through dust as high as the tops of our combat boots, you had to come straight down, lifting your feet, you couldn't plow through it. I used to sleep my way, however many miles it was, by just hanging on the the guy's pack, in front of me, and letting him pull me along. I don't know why he didn't object or complain? Maybe he did, I was sleeping, on my feet. I met a man with the Medal of Honor at the Soldiers Club, apparently the Post was named after a famous General of either the Civil War or The Great War, but I never knew it at the time. That base is closed now but I don't know if they turned it into condos or what?

Good hunting. El Bee

PS actually many times, punishment for something or other, I had to double-time at high port around the whole company, the whole way to the beach. Try that sometime. I was fit, if nothing else.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted October 16, 2018 04:24 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
SE Oregon over the last 20 years or so with the drought the roads turned to moon dust. You'd drive through it and it moved like water. Its hard on vehicles. I can imagine any place in the drought areas of the West and they've had fires or hauled water those roads are gone. One of the main reason I can't handle dust anymore. I never thought we'd leave that area. Between the never ending drought, fires, lack of coyotes we burned out on the area.

You have to read the SIT report close. Most of these fire they make a statement saying you might see smoke off these fires. Hopefully its all interior burning. I'd call the district that that fire is on and complain, DAA.

All or most of the seasonal fire fighters are laid off for the season. I'm a career seasonal. I get 6 months 1 day of work up to 9 months on my P. D. description. Most seasonal are gone before October 1. The change of the physical year.

--------------------

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted October 16, 2018 04:35 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to hear all is well Victor , be safe !

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters