The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Fire season... (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Fire season...
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted October 12, 2018 08:00 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
In Colorado, weather is:
Chile today, hot tamale.

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted October 12, 2018 09:54 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Groan !!!!

Chili today …………… poo-poo on fire tomorrow. [Eek!]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7588 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted October 13, 2018 03:39 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
KoKo good for you the central and southern part of the state did not get the monsoon we did lord knows we need the moisture but it gets old when you live in the dirt everything comes to a halt. 2 wheel drives stay parked and the 4 wheelers get muddy as hell and the floors are a bitch to keep clean lol!

Not to mention the dogs!

But I wouldn't have it any other way I am blessed beyond belief !

[ October 13, 2018, 03:42 AM: Message edited by: Paul Melching ]

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 13, 2018 06:35 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose they have it other places but up in Saskatoon, they do have a mud room for boots and parkas, etc. before getting in the house proper. I remember, in Berlin, the fancy stores had wall, to wall, to ceiling heavy blankets just inside the front doors that you had to part to actually get inside. Pretty effective way to keep the frigid outside air from the toasty inside. I didn't see any dogs but the locals all park on the sidewalk and pedestrians must deal with it.

Good hunting. El Bee

PS Woke up to rain this morning

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31490 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted October 14, 2018 04:39 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
When I can afford a deck it will have a mud room most homes up here have them ! Mine will be on the back porch so as not to obscure my views !

--------------------

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted October 15, 2018 05:26 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Damn fires just don't want to quit.

Out and about over the weekend, had a particular route in mind. Start getting down into the valley I needed to get across, damn fire 20 miles wide blocking my path. Had to go nearly a hundred miles (ROUGH miles) to get around it.

According to the inciweb site, that fire has been out for weeks. Uhhhh, nope... Still fucking going!

Could see distant smoke from others still going too. All this, following four or five days of rain and snow and overnight temps way below freezing. Some crazy shit...

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted October 18, 2018 03:39 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
DAA you have to read the SIT report over inciweb. They tell you that you might still see smoke on these big fires as the interior burns. They don't put anything out 100% any more. If the fire was on the exterior and up and running I would have called it in. But the fact is the wild land fire force is laid off by the first of October due to a new physical year starting and they don't want to dip into next seasons budget. They should totally budget at least one pay period into the next physical year during these high fire seasons. I'm a career seasonal (meaning I get 6 months and 1 day of work) I usually go into the next physical year at least 1 or so pay periods and then come on later in the spring.

As for moon dust. I totally hate it. The drought has brought that chit in bad for the last 20 odd seasons. I've seen the dust move like water when you drive through it. The worst is when ranchers haul water over the same road all summer or the fire boys go out and fight fires then rehab the fires. The road are totally gone when they are done. Don't care to ever be around that chit anymore. It's very hard on vehicles and people. I cringe just thinking about it.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted October 18, 2018 04:30 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
EW, it was burning actually on the exterior, but, wind was pushing it towards the interior - and there is a HELLUVA big interior on that one. Hell of a big. I was just dumbfounded it could still be going after the weather of the previous week. And like I mentioned, had been listed as fully contained for almost a month at that point. At first figured it was just smoke, but got close enough to see real flames. Turned around and made a big detour at that point.

And yeah, that moon dust, bull dust, silt, whatever you want to call it, is HORRIBLE. I've put my Jeep through miles and miles and miles of it already this fall. I mean, MILES and MILES. I'll be replacing u-joints this weekend...

And yes, the roads were just chewed up way beyond anything I have ever seen in that area. Must have been the fire crews. Worse, I lost a front shock early on that trip, had to drive that hundred miles of bad road to go around the fire missing a shock absorber, that really sucked!

Happened right after I left pavement, while everything was still clean, ha-ha!

-

Killed the shit out of the coyotes though. Got 7 the first morning before noon. Ended up with 15, even after all the lost time trying to get where I wanted to go. If I had been able to take the route I wanted, I'm pretty sure I'd have got 20. By myself.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted October 18, 2018 06:41 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh snap! Literally.
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 18, 2018 08:01 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That Dave can make an interesting portrait out of a wheel well. On a Jeep, no less. Takes talent.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted October 21, 2018 01:43 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Hot and dry enough again I think we could strike up a fire if the right idiot comes by and does something real stupid.

Was 70* yesterday afternoon and it'll be close to that again.
Found snow in the deep shaped areas above 8,000ft yesterday. With water running off the snow down the roads.

Animals aren't moving at all. Seen 2 elk in the back of trucks and not one animal hanging on a meat pole yesterday.

Crazy weather. Weather peeps saying something by end of week but only a 20% chance which is nothing.
Need some cold wet weather.

--------------------

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted October 22, 2018 04:46 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Was beautiful yesterday mid seventies and puffy clouds on a deep blue sky twice a dark cloud rolled in and sat right over my place and rained for a few minutes just laughed my ass off. only see people on my road during elk season only saw one elk roll out.

--------------------

Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted October 22, 2018 06:29 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
earthwalker: Working up in Wheezzer Idyho. Still a burn ban up here I guess ?

Locals burning corn stalk fields I guess. Must be under permit. Smoke all summer, now fall smoke.

It's great !!

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 22, 2018 07:32 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Dave! Dave!

About time you checked in!

We need to know what they did with the chopped up body?

I'll pass it on to Trump, he don't know what's going on, at all?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted October 23, 2018 04:32 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Got a hunch the Washington county fire chief has kept the burn ban on. He knows the wild land fire boys are laid off for the winter and there is no help from that quarter.
Idaho's closed burning season is May 10 -October 20. Boise county has put a total no burn ban on during that time you can't even go to the state and get a burn permit.
Custer county you have to call the sheriff's department to burn anything year round. $300 fine if the fire department is called out on a controlled burn. Save's on false fire calls.
I know the Washington county has been closing down the county each year to burning. They must be waiting on a good wetting rain and temps to cool down. Boise was 73* yesterday we were mid 60's.
No one is getting any elk unless they are walking them down. Haven't seen a buck up here. Went out yesterday and sat at 8,000 feet and glassed for a hour or so and never seen anything move.
Later in the day we were in another area and I glassed 5 big horn sheep and on the way home seen 2 antelope. The full moon and way to hot is keeping critters hid deep and not moving much.
I did see several deer the other night running down the road in front of the house. Out front by the mail box looks like a deer highway.
Hope things cool down and gets stormy. We have tags for a late cow hunt in December.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 23, 2018 07:05 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's as clear concise report as we ever should hope to get. Thank you.

Dave, see how it's done? And, where's that Saudi report on the killing from Q? Always appreciate his slant/version/interpretation.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted October 23, 2018 09:59 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Q has been quite for the last two weeks. Q has mentioned in the past a power struggle in Saudi.

Some even think the Vegas deal last year is tied to them ? Dunno.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 23, 2018 10:30 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Dave. Not even going to mention the little spelling error.
Well, I wasn't. Sorry!

He may be traveling, who knows? Is his silence unusual? LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted October 23, 2018 10:55 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah posting from work. Shhh don't tell my boss !!

Q has been known to be gone a week or two, but usually comes back with loads of info.

Might be gone till after mid-terms ? this coming election is big !!

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters