The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Hummong birds leaving

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hummong birds leaving
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted September 13, 2018 05:17 PM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
we have a few hangers on , but most are gone we went through 36 pounds of sugar this year! taking the feeders down tomorrow!

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted September 13, 2018 07:29 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Hell, I go thru that much sugar in the sweet tea I drink. [Eek!]

Still getting birds here, but I noticed that they're a different variety from what we've been getting.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted September 13, 2018 09:21 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe they are hanger onners but me thinks they be my Cadarado birds just getting there. They split from here about 3 weeks ago.

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted September 14, 2018 04:27 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Could be Danny I have had twenty and thirty birds swarming around the feeder now its two or three !

--------------------

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 14, 2018 06:18 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Here, we always have a few resident birds. It's important for those that have been filling the feeders to continue to do so because, with no flowers all winter, it's the birds only source of nourishment.

I wonder what triggers the migration? Is it a subtle change in overnight temperatures? Is it some genetic program, they don't even know why? It has been said that some birds navigate by celestial, which is a little mind blowing, when you think of it. Seems like I heard that a certain Swift? flies continuously for two years. That's without landing anywhere, I don't know if sleep is involved, or how "they" would even know if they were flying on autopilot? No doubt, besides flight, birds do some very interesting things. I guess Darwin studied a certain finch that evolved on the Galapagos to fill quite a few gaps, transitioning from seed eaters to insects, to I can't remember what else, but it was all involving modifications of the shape of the beak.

Anyway, I believe the smallest bird in the world is a bumblebee hummingbird? If shrews were five pounds, they would probably eat several Honey Badgers for lunch.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted September 14, 2018 06:53 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I've read that migrations, fur getting prime and other such wonders all are based on the length of days & position of the sun.
Heavy serious stuff.
Or it could be from scientists just leg humping for grant $$$.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted September 14, 2018 07:43 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Our nighttime temps are dropping and the days are getting shorter, but all I know is the humming birds are few from plenty !

[ September 14, 2018, 07:45 AM: Message edited by: Paul Melching ]

--------------------

earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted September 14, 2018 03:00 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Had one feeding yesterday. But for the most part they are all gone. Not sure how much sugar we went through but close to 15lbs or so. Could be more just a guess.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted September 15, 2018 09:55 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's Leonard's first guess.....based only on this...I sleep with my window open all summer. The week I noticed it getting colder at night was the week they all vanished. They were around literally a day or two more and I didn't see another for about a week and he was the last one.

I know that after the first frost, doves in our area all disappear almost overnight....all except for those rotten eurasian collared doves; those boogers stay all winter. They are better eating though, same flavor as morning doves but twice the size!!

I'm curious, have they made it to AZ and CA yet? I started seeing them about 10 years ago. Now the critters are everywhere all year around.

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted September 16, 2018 12:52 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Eurasian Doves ??? Yeah, we got 'em.
And if ever there was a reason to buy a decent mid-grade air rifle …………….Bingo !!!!! *Check your local Regs, of course.*

Pretty sure that you guy's hummingbirds birds are passing this way. I'm seeing quite a few more birds lately.

>> FWIW; I added one of those clear plastic plant pot coaster things to the bottom of my feeder after hitting the edge with a black marker. No more drips onto the patio and no more ants. [Wink]

--------------------

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters