The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Vehicles and auto transmissions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Vehicles and auto transmissions
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted September 10, 2018 10:07 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
The worst thing auto makers ever did was to go totally to automatic transmissions.
Every fricking road around it is nothing but wash boarded to death. Now they can't even keep them graded out with out cutting the road a couple feet down and then putting a roller on it.
Lookout road was halfway graded before Labor Day. Now you can't even tell where it was graded and wasn't. The steep big canyon looks like someone has sat down there and every few feet sat and dug down with both back wheels. I'm doing 10mph or less locked into 4 high and thinking about 4 low if they don't come back and grade it.
All the county roads are wash boarded. One grade I go down to go home on if you're not below 10mph you're sideways in the road before you know it.
Stupid city people shouldn't be allowed out of the city limits.
Yelled at a couple yesterday. We're in Stage 1 fire restrictions. So the A-hole pulls his atv off the road onto the grass to look at something.
Then last night a a Nissan pickup go off the road on a flat straight stretch on the lookout road. He was sitting on a rock took the oil pan out and the right front tire and blew his tailgate off. They had quite the story and I let the county deputies deal with them. I wasn't touching their truck. Got home late and today I have trouble talking from to much yelling at people and cows.
Yeah the cows are starting to be a pain and wanting to hang out at the building. I don't need cow pies and flies up here. Have enough bugs and stinking dead bugs to deal with as it is.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 10, 2018 02:19 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You're probably right. But, one thing I see that contributes is that people want to drive 40-50 miles an hour on a graded dirt road and the excuse is that driving fast smoothes out the washboard.

Whatever, get those slickers back on the pavement!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted September 10, 2018 02:54 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure about 40-50 but 60 mph really does smooth them out. So does letting air out of your tires. I run 18 psi for washboard.

And disconnect the sway bar too.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted September 10, 2018 03:01 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Manual though. I'm not one of them.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted September 10, 2018 06:13 PM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
A road should not be flat but crowned with drainage on both sides a flat road is a piece of shit and when it rains its
a turd !

[ September 10, 2018, 06:14 PM: Message edited by: Paul Melching ]

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
CrossJ
SECOND PLACE: PAUL RYAN Look-a-like contest
Member # 884

Icon 1 posted September 10, 2018 07:04 PM      Profile for CrossJ   Email CrossJ         Edit/Delete Post 
psssht! Can't believe you all are still using roads!

--------------------
A friend will help you move. A good friend will help you move a body.

Posts: 1025 | From: on a water tower | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted September 11, 2018 03:04 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Not all the time [Big Grin] .

- DAA

--------------------

TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted September 11, 2018 04:54 AM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
maybe I missed it, but what does "auto trans" have to do with the rant?

Seems to me they, the auto makers, have the auto trans about mastered to the point I probably wouldn't care to ever have a manual again.

And to add, come look at my driveway if you think speed is what causes wash boards. Sure as hell ain't driving 40-50 on my driveway but yet it washboards.

[ September 11, 2018, 04:55 AM: Message edited by: TRnCO ]

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted September 11, 2018 05:17 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
The spring rate cause the washboard not the transmission ! the faster you go the smoother it gets just cant get my wife to buy into it ! I cant even add fluid to my trans it gets pumped out every 100k and refilled no filler neck !
smoothest tranny I have ever driven.

[ September 11, 2018, 05:22 AM: Message edited by: Paul Melching ]

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted September 11, 2018 05:38 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
My Jeep is a six speed manual. But if they had a decent auto for it, I'd have gotten it. The AW4 just makes the TJ feel like a pig though. Hunts gears into a half assed head wind.

In my pickup, I absolutely love the 8 speed auto! Best transmission I've ever had. Crazy how good the MPG is for a 400 HP/400 FT/LB half ton pickup truck. Motor is always in it's happy place.

New Wrangler JL has the 8 speed auto too. Looks like they hit that one out of the park. Would definitely take that over the manual. The new six speed manual does look a lot better than the one in mine too though.

Lots of new vehicles getting 8, 9 and 10 speed autos now. Have to agree with TR, they are so good it would be kind of dumb to choose a manual over them. Not that it's even an option in most cases anymore.

- DAA

--------------------

earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted September 11, 2018 05:47 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
I followed a guy up one morning to the lookout several years ago.
He had a auto trans didn't but it in 4 wheel drive. Watched the rear wheels slip every few feet all the way up the canyon. He couldn't feel his tires doing this. That is how wash boards start. Each vehicle does it going up this road. I try hard not to let the wheel slip.
You wouldn't believe the cars that come up that road.
One more year of this and the public then I can go be a PIA to someone else.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters