The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Doing tile sucks...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Doing tile sucks...
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted August 25, 2018 08:01 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Been working on this for awhile, but getting to where I can finally see the finish line.

Pulled up about 500 sq/ft of carpet the dogs had totally trashed and replacing it with porcelain tile. Couldn't come up with anything more dog proof than that. Least not that might look decent. They won't be able to scratch it no matter how hard they try. Can't chew it. Can't stain it. Can't trap odors or hair. After seeing what was actually UNDER all the carpet, I kinda never want to have carpet again .

My first attempt at any kind of flooring, or finish carpentry. Bailed on trying to cope tight radiused MDF and did 45's in the corners, but my last few bull nose corners didn't need any caulk.

Doing these 4' long tiles is hard. I made absolute certain I have 100% coverage on all of them though. Prepped the crap out of the subfloor, used a decoupling membrane, left generous expansion joints everywhere they should be, I think the install is rock solid. It's turning out okay I think. Which, is a youtube miracle, since that's all I had to go on learning to do this stuff was youtube. Got a couple spots with lippage that stands out like a ten thousand foot peak in the middle of the salt flats, to me, but nobody else has noticed them yet.

Daughters bedroom, done (except for assembling a whole room of 16 year old girl selected Ikea furniture, that was no fun...).

-

-

Hallway before doing any of the finish work. Six, S-I-X freaking doors at the end of this hall. Three into carpeted rooms, one linoleum, one into existing tile, one with the new tile. All different heights of finished flooring. Crash course in transitions, notching tile and working in tight spaces. It felt real good to get out into the open field in the front room by the time I finished this.

-

Into the open field in the front room.

-

One of the reasons for not just getting new carpet. Pulled the carpet off those stairs yesterday, redoing them in solid maple.

-

Progress. And the other reason for not just getting new carpet.

-

The last tile has been laid. Yippee!

-

-

Still gotta redo the stairs, do the rest of the trim/molding and paint, but the hard work is done. My back is really glad.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted August 25, 2018 08:22 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Looks damn good. Sounds like the ceramic should hold up real well and I like the color.

I hear you on seeing what's under carpet when you pull it up. In our first house many years ago, when I pulled the carpet there must have been an 1/8" of sand or at least it looked like sand.

For me it seems like every home/yard project starts out simple enough, but than it grows due to all the other shit you find that is wrong or needs fixing too. Double the time it will take and the cost is about right for me.

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DiYi
Wears wife's pink panties under his camo for good luck. (yeah, right!)
Member # 3785

Icon 1 posted August 26, 2018 03:59 AM      Profile for DiYi           Edit/Delete Post 
Nice!
Nothing like dog tracks in grout.

Posts: 623 | From: SoDak | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted August 26, 2018 04:16 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I swear, Dave...we must be in the same wavelength!

No only do we appear to have the same interior decorator, I've been putting off doing my kitchen over, complete with new ceramic tile flooring. Your post was just the nudge of motivation I need to stay off the boat a few days, and get it done, already...

Thanks for sharing your project! Looks great, and love how that floor color accents the walls, as mine are literally painted the same colors, if not a shade off...

Alll ya need now is one a them Swiffer thingys to police up the doggy debris!

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted August 26, 2018 04:24 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
The big hairy one is pretty smart. She learns everything fast. I only had to growl at her twice and she stopped walking on freshly mortared tile without needing to be growled at again. Like she could smell the wet mortar and would take the path on tiles that were at least a day or two old and not step on the new ones.

That boxer... She ain't too bright. And she's bitchy. Chased her off the new stuff constantly. Not totally sure if she's just dumb, or does it out of spite, because she definitely IS bitchy. Towards the end of the job I was combing out mortar and she comes waltzing along, I'm yelling at her to stay away, she walks right through the wet cement right in front of me.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted August 26, 2018 04:33 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Fred, the wife has been at it with a new Swiffer already. Says it's WAY easy to clean.

I painted the walls over the late winter and spring. Had already picked out the tile, so was hoping it would all come together.

Going to attack the stairs today.

Getting towards the end! Of this one. Ha-ha! Seriously need to get my house stuff for the year completed though. Need to do some work on the Jeep, not sure, afraid it's cam and lifters, need to do some load work for the machine gun, few other things to be ready for the fall campaign.

- DAA

--------------------

Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted August 26, 2018 04:35 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Nice job Dave I have done literally acres of tile looks great , nothing worse than carpet for filth!

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted August 26, 2018 07:36 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Nice job. It's even worse when the joints(hips and knees) won't work having to get up and down.
Our new house has only throw rugs. I'll never fully carpet a house again.
When I get tired of the color or pattern I'll go buy new throw rugs.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Eddie
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4324

Icon 1 posted August 26, 2018 08:04 AM      Profile for Eddie   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Dave what kind of a saw did you use to cut your title?
I got a blade for my table saw when I did one of my bathrooms, it didn't work to well. Got to do the other bathroom. Was looking at renting a wet saw. Your title looks a lot like what I got.

Posts: 275 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted August 26, 2018 10:50 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks good! How long will it take you to get here and do mine?
Mark

[ August 26, 2018, 10:50 AM: Message edited by: Lone Howl ]

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 26, 2018 11:00 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, way too much energy for me! But, congratulations, you look good.

One thing. Boxers are a breed just above pitbull in my book. I'd never own one. My list is surprisingly long, now that I think about it?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted August 26, 2018 03:35 PM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
I have a thing for boxer's was attacked as a child never forget, my dad was nearby and planted a baby bed over its head funny sight watching it run with a wooden collar !

[ August 26, 2018, 03:36 PM: Message edited by: Paul Melching ]

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted August 26, 2018 04:51 PM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
we have had at least 4 Boxers when I was a kid. Great dogs.

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted August 26, 2018 04:55 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Eddie, I borrowed a tile saw, it was pretty used and abused.

This is the one I borrowed:

Tile saw at Lowes.

$167 brand new.

I did all the notching with my cordless grinder and a diamond blade. Just held a wet sponge against the blade while I was cutting. It worked real good.

- DAA

--------------------

Eddie
Member # 4324

Icon 1 posted August 26, 2018 06:57 PM      Profile for Eddie   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Dave....have to look into it.
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted August 26, 2018 07:34 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
That looks really good Dave. I laid laminate floors in my old house about 10 years ago. Back still hurts !! did bedrooms & everything.

I was amazed @ the shit underneath the carpeting. Gross !!

This place has hardwood floors & carpeting in the bedrooms. I do like carpet in the bedrooms. All done in 2012 so about 6 years ago.

I probably wont move again, ya never know though ?

This, I do know. I'll never have carpeting except for bedrooms again..

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted August 27, 2018 03:02 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Got the stairs done yesterday.

-

Little more molding and paint and I'm done with this stuff for a good while.

Jeep needs some attention next... Afraid I'll be doing cam and lifters. It never ends.

- DAA

--------------------

Eddie
Member # 4324

Icon 1 posted August 27, 2018 03:26 AM      Profile for Eddie   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
You did a heck of a job! I really like the way stairs turn out.
Now after you get the jeep done, I got three rooms you can do besides the bathroom. Wife looked at your pictures and decided we should do the other three rooms. I really want to thank you [Eek!]
But she said I could get a wet saw that's a good thing.
They always want these things done right before hunting season. You would think that after 41 years of marriage they would no I got to get ready for hunting season, not be laying some title.

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted August 30, 2018 05:43 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Gotta love the wall art, too !!!!

[Cool]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7577 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters