The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » ATTENTION... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: ATTENTION...
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted August 24, 2018 02:04 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
If you do not know the difference between "quite" and "quiet" please get off of the world
wide web.

Thank you,
Sincerely,

Internet Police.

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted August 24, 2018 03:28 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
That's quiet a statement there young man....

Loose and lose always get me.... I hate to loose a Lapua case in the snow. The scope mounts worked lose and caused me to miss.

"Prolly" is another strange one I've seen. I'll prolly try a different bullet before I load up anymore ammo.

Your welcome,

Internet Police Second in Command.

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted August 24, 2018 04:54 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
How about there, their, they're?
That one drives me crazy.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted August 25, 2018 03:46 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Sister Mary Gawdamit saved me from all that , I can spell like a mofo just keyboard like a spastic !

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted August 25, 2018 03:49 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Duly noted.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted August 25, 2018 03:54 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
BTW... It's silly, but "set" bothers me. It's a STAND gawdamit. STAND. Trappers make "sets". We callers make STANDS.

Got it?!

Usually someone from back east making a couple sets for dogs. Then they come back all excited because they got "responses" from more than one "pack". And want to know the best "sequences" to get them to come in. And how best to make "sets" on the lousy little postage stamp of ground they are calling every fucking night of the week and wondering why they are getting lots of "responses" but nothing ever comes in.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted August 25, 2018 05:01 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Gawd! We're an awful bunch of old school farts aren't we. LOL

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted August 25, 2018 05:39 AM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
DAA

You nailed it with the 40 acres, multiple packs, and calling the back 40 day and night several times a week crowd.

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted August 25, 2018 07:01 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
We really is sum picky sumbitches same things drive me n
nutz !

--------------------

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 25, 2018 07:52 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
NAILED IT

quote:
BTW... It's silly, but "set" bothers me. It's a STAND gawdamit. STAND. Trappers make "sets". We callers make STANDS.

Got it?!

Oh, and as long as we got away from misapplication of similar sounding words; the worst is 'yote and "song dog" , etc., instead of "coyote". However, in our group, (and don't forget, we invented this shit) we always used the words, "Cat" and "Dog". Some people think that they are purists, and they think the use of the word "dog" could be confused with feral dogs, but WE never had that problem. And we always knew the difference. So, while I am a stickler on "coyote" instead of colorful names, the use of the word "dog" has always been acceptable among people in the know.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: listening, out there in PM Land?

[ August 25, 2018, 07:53 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Knows what it's all about
Member # 3918

Icon 1 posted August 25, 2018 07:54 AM      Profile for www           Edit/Delete Post 
Border-Boarder
Makes me loose my brian

Posts: 191 | From: Wyoming | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted August 25, 2018 07:56 AM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Suppose I shouldn't give a shit how anyone uses or misuses words, but I do notice it right off in conversations or reading.
Then/than, is one I see often, as well the usual their/they're, there is a boatload, many of which can't be noticed unless in written form.
Mispronunciation of names/places/things always interest me in how they morph from correct to accepted? How many times do you hear the brand name of the rifle Sako, pronounced "say-co" instead of the correct "Sock-o", or scope company Leupold, pronounced "Leo-pold". Silly I know, but when your talking with gun guys, you'd think they would know the correct name of things "gunny"?
Language is a funny thing for sure.

Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted August 25, 2018 12:38 PM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You nailed it with the 40 acres, multiple packs, and calling the back 40 day and night several times a week crowd.]
I basically stopped reading PM altogether, after being banned. As a consequence (read: BONUS), I haven't read much in the way of that nonsense...

But, I have seen it in the flesh! Case in point, a few years back...
I came across a fella running hounds on the same land I have permission to call. His crew had their dogs behind one when I drove past. As the bullshit session progressed, he allowed that he'd been trying to call coyotes for the last 10 years, but had never had any success. Only thing he ever called were red & grey fox...

So, I dropped my tailgate and showed him a pretty female I just called in & shot, that morning. He asked "how'd ya get that???" Told him I called it in & shot it, right before sunrise. Even though he was looking right at that dead coyote, he had a hard time wrapping his head around the idea that you could kill a coyote here without a pack a dogs, and bunch a gunners...

P.S....told him the coyote came in to "Lightning Jack"... [Wink]

[ August 25, 2018, 12:39 PM: Message edited by: knockemdown ]

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted August 25, 2018 12:41 PM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
And...
"Prolly" is just a means of typing less letters on the gawdforsaken iPad!!!

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted August 25, 2018 03:09 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Fred, I had an experience along those lines..back in the late 90's there was a guy that came into the store where I worked, a few times a week. One day he asked what my weekend was like and I mentioned I was out calling coyotes all weekend..he laughed and said NO WAY. He did not believe calling worked, and he had a "crew" that hunted coyotes by running them down in pickups and then shooting them. This guy was a cocky blowhard, and he had like 5 or 6 buddies and they all had Ford Ranger 4x4's (have no idea why). I was so intrigued by this that I rode along with him one morning and I swear to GOD that as the stupidest thing I ever saw. Tearing around the countryside, trespassing, mowing over shit...just to get close to a coyote.
Later on he got into calling, asked me to go a few times but fuck that.
It was quiet the deal.
See what I did there?

Mark

--------------------

Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted August 25, 2018 03:11 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
lol lightning jack.

--------------------

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted August 25, 2018 05:31 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Lightning Jack is quiet the sound.

- DAA

--------------------

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted August 26, 2018 04:47 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Lightning Jack in Arizona gets em running the other way ! Quiet quickly

[ August 26, 2018, 04:49 AM: Message edited by: Paul Melching ]

--------------------

Semp
GOLD STAR MEMBER
Member # 3074

Icon 1 posted August 26, 2018 05:05 AM      Profile for Semp           Edit/Delete Post 
I've never heard deer hunters referring to a deer "set" it is always stand. Likewise I've never heard a turkey hunter refer to making a "set" or "stand" for turkeys.

It's funny what is acceptable and what is not. One makes a stand for coyotes with the set up being very important. Not the "stand" up. Kind of funny when you think about it.

[ August 26, 2018, 05:07 AM: Message edited by: Semp ]

--------------------
Always remember: That court appointed psychiatrist is not your friend.

Posts: 406 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Eddie
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4324

Icon 1 posted August 26, 2018 07:33 AM      Profile for Eddie   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Hunting season better get here quick!
You boys are running out of things to bitch about.

Yes Mary Alice I did kill 2 dogs and 1 cat on my last stand but I was sitting down the hole time [Big Grin]

Now Fred you no good and well that if Kelly told you to use lighting jack you would have wore that sucker out. Hell he got me to using Baa Bee cottontail for cats along time ago. Still use it today. [Big Grin]

Oh I can't spell a lick so be a little easy on a old Okie.

[ August 26, 2018, 11:39 AM: Message edited by: Eddie ]

Posts: 275 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted August 30, 2018 05:55 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
And another thing; it's COWS DEER not Coos Deer.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted August 31, 2018 08:52 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but it's a little bit uppity, just for locals. i.e.: Mean girls!
After all, we don't know what we don't know.

Good outing. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted September 13, 2018 09:46 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
I catch myself sometimes typing, "I could of" instead of, "I could have". I guess I drive myself crazy sometimes. 😜

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted September 14, 2018 05:27 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
What I if told you …………

That you read the top line wrong ??? [Razz]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted September 14, 2018 06:19 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
What I if did ?

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters