The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Soooooo....... (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Soooooo.......
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 21, 2018 06:33 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a great pic, Fred. Thanks for posting!

I also have quite a fondness for Golden Eagles, and Bald Eagles can kiss my ass, There's an area along the western edge of Utah where you can drive north of US50 and certain times of the year, it seems like there is a raptor of some sort sitting on every telephone pole with Golden Eagles well represented, but not numerous or common.

This happened quite a few years ago in Nevada. We were staying in a pair of abandoned miners shacks, it was July and very hot but we were hunting and mostly scouting for the upcoming season.

We thought it might be a good idea to make some Lipton noodle soup and fill the thermos with it, and headed off just as the sun was going down. Because we had already hunted the area we were camped we had to drive about 25 miles towards Seven Troughs and somewhere along the way we became aware that nobody had packed the friggin' water! Because it was so hot, easily 100 degrees, it started eating at us and we came on a windmill and cattle trough. There was zero wind and we didn't trust the water in the trough and no water coming out of the pipe.

I got the bright idea to climb up there and turn the blades, but first, we didn't have any container for the water except the thermos. So, we sat around hoping the wind might pick up and drank the very salty soup instead of letting it go to waste. Rinsed it in the trough and started climbing when I suddenly noticed a Golden Eagle perched on top! I asked Mike to pass me the cleaning rod I always kept under the rug and I began poking at the eagle. Not viciously, understand, I just wanted him to get out of my way, we were all psyched out and dying of imagined thirst and quite desperate.

So, he flew off, it wasn't much of a real fight, I just shooed him off but believe it, 20 feet off the ground and dealing with a bird that size and hanging on with one hand, it wasn't a walk in the park, either. By far much closer to an eagle than I had ever been, to that point. Another time, (well) that's another story.

So I started turning the vanes and started getting a trickle of water down below, my trusty associate assured me. It really took forever and it was very tiring but eventually we filled the thermos/YAY! So I said to Mike, I'm going to keep spinning long enough to fill the thermos cup. Okay, you got it!

So, It's not like three spins and presto, a cup of water, but 5 minutes later he said "ok". I climbed down, really beat! And hot tired and thirsty, said where's the cup and he said It's screwed on the thermos, I drank it. At that point, I could have wrung his neck, I said words to the effect that that cup of water was my reward for doing all the work while he sat on his ass holding a thermos under a water pipe.

So, I went back up and spun the vanes long enough to fill the cup a second time, climbed down and gulped that whole cup of water. Now we were thirst quenched and had a quart of water for the night and were on our way.

You know, of course, it turned cold and the hunting was pretty good and nobody drank that water all night long, but it sure felt good starting out, we had to have it and it was worth the effort.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Good hunting. El Bee

[ August 21, 2018, 06:41 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31262 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters