The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Soooooo....... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Soooooo.......
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2018 05:38 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
What is the peanut gallery up to these hot august days?
This is the month that is 6 months long on the mountain tops.
I hate AUGUST!! with a passion.
Smoked in can't see beyond a air mile or so.
Back to being a braille lookout. I use a lot of webcams for my eyes.. If there were just more in the location I would like to see. [Big Grin]

Still fighting a ear problem. The tube is plugged and I feel like I'm going deaf in the left ear. Seen the Doc this past Tuesday. He's amped me up on steroids for a few days to try and bust it loose. It might be working. I've felt the ear drum do some popping which it hasn't for a month now it seems like. Being older sucks!!

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2018 06:04 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
We are helping as best we can. Don't give up!

PS is it true, it's all dead wood anyway? Bark beetles, not GLOBAL WARMING?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2018 06:43 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Getting ready for the upcoming archery seasons in a couple of weeks.
3D shoot this Sat.

The weeds in the yard are growing taller and creeping ever closer. Need to get the flamethrower out. Fire is the only thing that they fear.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2018 07:13 AM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Not a fan of August either.

To keep myself busy, I've been slaying young Ponderosa Pines at a high rate lately. We have way too many in certain areas and unless they get thinned by me, Mother Nature will do the thinning and that can get ugly and cost a lot more money.

Unfortunately, looking back on the trees I left while thinning, the beetles have now attacked some of those trees I wanted to leave. It's no biggie to lose a few, just don't want the majority of the stand to die.

These hot, dry summers, make it tough going for trees that are competing for limited moisture and more susceptible to beetle attacks.

Anyway, it keeps me busy in my spare time.

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2018 08:08 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Still getting monsoon rains and everything is green in northern Az. Been a very wet summer must be bark beetles eh Leonard ? lol its just what happens during an El Nino cycle!

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2018 09:50 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno, Paul. What does Q say?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2018 10:33 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Shooting coyotes in 105 degree weather and getting ready for archery season here.

Also been handloading a lot...I was getting low on 22-250 so I set up and been pulling the lever every night. Sometimes I loath reloading and sometimes I really enjoy it...right now Im enjoying it. Im loading some LEAD FREE hollow points and they are shooting really good so it makes me happy.
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2018 11:37 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
First time I have ever seen dirty air up here must be Smoke from California !

--------------------

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2018 11:38 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 

[ August 10, 2018, 04:22 AM: Message edited by: Paul Melching ]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2018 12:03 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Here are some photos that earth walker sent me.

I hope she can jump in and tell us what's going on?

edit:

-

-

-

-

[ August 09, 2018, 12:05 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2018 01:43 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
First pic was the MM73 Hwy 55 fire just north of Horseshoe Bend. Had a good north wind on it later that night. Was afraid it was going to get to HSB. It's totally contained now.

Second pic was the Keithly creek fire out of Midvale. It also ran to the south and threatened a lot of ranches went close into Mann Creek Res. It's contained now.

Third pic is the Mesa fire just south of Council. 57% contained. It's been making little runs here and there. Can't see smoked in.

Fourth pic is the nasty angry gobbling Rabbit Foot fire. It's spotting and has a fairly big finger running to the south back down the top end of Morgan creek. They will be in a red flag warning tomorrow for a Haines 6 high, low RH and gusty winds. Not looking good. The team is thinking of expanding the closure area. This one is going to piss of a lot of hunters. Not getting it out until fall rains/snow. Oct 31 is what they are saying. Can't get over the summit into Meyers Cove area or Cobalt.
I know some of the names don't mean much to a lot of you but some of you might know some of these areas.
104* at my house in the valley. I'm 85* on the mountain and the AC unit can't get the inside below 90* right now.
I can't see well over 2 air miles in all directions.
The whole southern half of the state is from E-W is in a stage 1 fire restrictions. Fire crews out patrolling and they have found 2 camp fires on a 100 degree day. People are really stupid!

--------------------

Eddie
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4324

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2018 03:20 PM      Profile for Eddie   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Well my back went out 3 weeks ago, just now feeling like doing something. Going up to oldest sons Sunday to do a little crappie fishing. Hope everyone are doing well.
Wish my reloading room had a AC, like L H I need to load up some 22-250.

Posts: 275 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2018 05:12 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Good pics. It would appears to look better than what it is. Smoke is like a light-medium fog here.

She can see my place sort of from there..Lol

Bluffs on the river about three miles away can hardly see 'em.

I know some of the ranchers in the Midvale & Council area. They were all a "tad" spooked. Ok for now. I guess ?

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
NVWalt
Does not claim to be overly bright!
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted August 10, 2018 01:50 AM      Profile for NVWalt           Edit/Delete Post 
With all that you got in the west, I just checked my rain guage and got 1-1/8 inches of rain last night. To wet to go down to my range and knock over sillywets. I feel for you all. I know my old stomping grounds in Nevada have taken a beating and will be nothing but cheatgrass this spring. So sad.

--------------------
Support Communism and help destroy the United States of America ! VOTE DEMOCRAT. "In the end, they aren't coming after me. They are coming after you!" D.Trump

Posts: 636 | From: Tellico Plains, TN | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted August 10, 2018 11:06 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't see beyond 2 air miles for the last 2 weeks. Those pics were before the smoke moved in.

--------------------

Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted August 10, 2018 05:41 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
My wife said they reported *111* @ the Boise airport.

Near as I can tell it only hit *108* here in New Plymouth.

Oh' yeah, the county fair has started a couple miles down the road. Why can't they do this shit in March-April, even May or June ? I would consider attending ?

This my 3rd summer on this joint. Never seen so many flies [Mad]

[ August 10, 2018, 05:44 PM: Message edited by: Dave Allen ]

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted August 13, 2018 10:50 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
August has always been one of my favorite months. Bow hunt. Shorts and flip flops. Monsoon season. No top on the Jeep. Kids not back in school yet. I love August.

Been up to just a little bit of what I usually spend most of August doing. But not as much as I'd like or normally do. Up to my eyeballs in a home improvement project that is kicking my ass and taking up all my time instead. I ain't cut out for doing tile...

But, anyway, took the family camping last weekend and snapped a few pics of the velvety goodness and one surprise lion.

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 13, 2018 11:38 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You sure have a talent! Thanks for sharing. Now, get on that tile.

Good Hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted August 13, 2018 11:41 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Ear is unplugging. Yahooo!!!
I still HATE August!!
Smoke moved out yesterday. It was nice to be able to see again.
Smoke moving back in today. [Confused]
I still HATE AUGUST!!
Saturday the smoke smelled like burnt garbage. All our smoke is coming from Calif. [Mad]
Rabbit Foot fire is 15k and growing daily. It has moved just about in all directions.
Early bow hunters are going to be cut off from a lot of country for a while.
Pray for rain!! on the fire !!

--------------------

MI VHNTR
I'm not shaving 'til Obama's gone!
Member # 3370

Icon 1 posted August 13, 2018 05:52 PM      Profile for MI VHNTR   Email MI VHNTR         Edit/Delete Post 
DAA, excellent pictures as usual. Thanks for sharing.

The air here in the UP of Michigan is hazy due to the fires in Canada. It's been hot and humid so far this month.

--------------------
The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting. It's about Freedom.

FJB Let's Go Brandon

Posts: 394 | From: MI | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted August 13, 2018 07:33 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
DAA, great pics! Love the lion! How did that come about?

August here so far has been really smokey with visibility around a 1/4 mile and very hot temps. Fire danger is off the charts at the moment and with no rain in 6-7 weeks we are hurting for some.

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted August 14, 2018 02:43 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Lonny, just drove up on it, basically. Had a valid tag and a rifle on me, too. Just didn't feel like zapping a freebie.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted August 14, 2018 09:32 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Freakin sweet!

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 14, 2018 10:53 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
What's friggin' sweet is that very last photo of the cozy radiant campfire, next to the incomprehensible Milky Way. Why not ponder it once more for some cosmic cerebral enrichment? Can't hurt.

edit: and is that Mars or Venus?

-

Good hunting. El Bee

[ August 14, 2018, 10:56 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted August 14, 2018 05:00 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Mars [Smile] .

- DAA

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters