The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Hey Leonard (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Hey Leonard
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted July 07, 2018 06:16 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
I know you are a fan of humming birds. This year we have a shitload we already have two generations Lots of Anna's, Broadtails, Black Chins and Rufus most days I can watch 15 to 20 around the feeders at on time. Quite the show ! I posted video on Facebook but don't know how to do that here !

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted July 07, 2018 08:25 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Timely post !!!
I'm getting humming birds on my patio and would like to encourage more, but I've heard that if you get the 'formula' wrong it can kill the birds and the store-bought stuff contains dyes that are harmful.
Advice ????

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7521 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted July 07, 2018 08:36 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Mine is al clear liquid the color is to attract humans a Walmart I use a 4 to 1 water to sugar! they thrive on it I keep flowers near bye so they do the real thing as well I also keep melons that fell victim to the 22-250 as they love to eat fruit flies !

--------------------

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted July 07, 2018 08:39 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Be sure to heat the water and sugar as making a simple syrup.

--------------------

earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted July 07, 2018 09:04 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
4 level cups of water to 1 level cup of sugar. Heat until clear do not bring to a rolling boil.
Very simple. I have 4 feeders at the lower place and one at the lookout. I go through a lot of sugar.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1104 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted July 07, 2018 11:13 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
I keep the sugar to a minimum they go through two quarts per day ! Fixed income and all that !

--------------------

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted July 07, 2018 11:54 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, thanx !!
Feeder will go up this afternoon.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7521 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted July 07, 2018 12:09 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
One more question;
Does it matter if the feeder is in the direct sunlight or should I find a place back under the patio roof that's shaded.
It gets kinda hot at times down this way. 106* yesterday.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 07, 2018 12:29 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
There is something wrong with the access I use for photos and videos and I don't have time right now to screw with it. Makes me angry, besides.

Anyway, the operative word is "lots of sugar". But as far as I can tell, they aren't fussy, at all. Dob't know where you got the information, ko ko, but I think it's bogus? And yes, they can clean out several feeders in a day. Adding another feeder does not solve the problem, they can consume whatever you put out.

My son used to live with this woman up in Calle Mesa, kind of a mini ranch with lots of animals, 25 dogs, 35 cats, etc. Neither here nor there but he also had more than 20 feeders scattered around the barn and tack room. It's at this point when you realize there is no end to it, from the standpoint of "adequate".

Around here, we used to have strictly Black Throated, which is the western version of Ruby throated. Maybe 15/20 years ago we started seeing an occasional Allen's. Right now, I would say the split is maybe 60/40 Allen's/Black Throated. The Allen's are more aggressive. You can identify an Allen's from a Rufus by the back which is green on the Allen's, orange on Rufus. Of course, you can't tell much with the females, maybe a white eye dot, or white dots on flared tail feathers? Did I mention Orioles? Our's are the Western.

I don't really know what the "correct" ratio is? I mix up a pitcher according to X amount of scoops of sugar and fill it up and keep it in the refrigerator. As I said, they aren't that fussy, but they won't fight ants and bees, you really should have a gob of grease on the wire hanger or some feeders have neat trap you can fill with water....good luck AZ boys, that should last 10 minutes, or so?

Also, that red dye doesn't hurt them, I do add a drop or two to the clear bottles, but the red glass obviously, doesn't need any.

I've seen some amazing videos of hummingbirds around feeders, they don't land on my hand around here, but they can, and will buzz behind your head, if you don't get out of their way! Not to your face, but they can intimidate you from behind to get the hell away from "their" feeders.

That's all I got

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: doesn't matter, ko ko. In fact they like it if it gets a little alcoholic.

edit: to discourage an aggressive bird from controlling two feeders, don't bother to move them further apart. Even around a corner, he will find a branch where he can control both of them. they are smart.

[ July 07, 2018, 12:34 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31348 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted July 07, 2018 01:13 PM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
KOKO the feeder only needs to be accessible !
I like to put them where I can best see them !

[ July 07, 2018, 01:14 PM: Message edited by: Paul Melching ]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 07, 2018 01:36 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Good advice!

A slight change of subject: I went in to get a shower, since it had been 114 earlier and is now 108. In shower, I heard what sounded like Arizona heat lightning?

Coming out to get dressed, it's raining! I didn't see that in the forecast? Why do I want to move? This is no different. Oh? The political landscape? Yeah, right. These bastards are relentless!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted July 07, 2018 02:07 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Word.

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted July 08, 2018 12:50 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Leo I have a beautiful pair of black and yellow tanagers that cant stay of the sugar water! my wife sprays them with a water bottle as if that's going to stop them LOL they just enjoy the bath ! You are correct on the feeder situation I put out 50 lbs. of seed every two weeks could be every week if I let it !Many beautiful bids to see! many colorful finches !

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 08, 2018 05:31 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Gotta love your wife's solution! That's like Pinky. He goes literally apeshit when I spray him! He loves water. I sometimes set him out front on a hand truck in the middle of the yard and turn on the sprinklers, he gets drenched, loves it, "displays", (you know, like he wants in my pants?)

I have some stuff that got wilted in the heat, including my rare cycad. I've never seen that before? I tried finding out how hot it was Friday, no luck? I just know it must have been close to the proverbial "frying eggs on the sidewalk" HOT.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DiYi
Wears wife's pink panties under his camo for good luck. (yeah, right!)
Member # 3785

Icon 1 posted July 09, 2018 05:30 AM      Profile for DiYi           Edit/Delete Post 
Good stuff according to my wife who just read this.She is a 'bird nut' with many feeders out including 4 hummingbird feeders.She says we only have 2 types of hummies in this part of South Dakota but already forgot the names.Her main focus here is Orioles(Orchard and Baltimore),Gold Finches,House Finches,Cat birds and Red Breasted Grossbeaks.Her enemies are Grackles(sp?)and she uses up about a brick of 22 ammo a year trying to keep them away.
Anyway she said she mixes sugar/water at a 3 to 1 ratio and no longer boils.Just VERY hot water and vigorous shaking.

Posts: 623 | From: SoDak | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 09, 2018 07:44 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Good post, DiYi. As another bird people, I salute your bird friendly wife, and also her direct involvement with 22 caliber sanctions. Around here, if I could, I'd do the same with the crows who rob the nests of our resident yard birds. They are, band tailed pigeons, scrub jays and THE most numerous, mockingbirds. The crows listen for peeps of begging nestlings, and clean them out, the only ones who vigorously resist are the mockingbirds, but the damned crows are persistent; they WILL be back.

I have a small indoor aviary and at one time had 25 various hook bills. Right now, Pinky rules the roost all by himself. He is a Moluccan Cockatoo, sometimes called a Salmon Crested. The pool man tells me that he can hear Pinky while at another customer, more than a block away. And yes, a different neighbor (with barking dogs) filed a complaint against him; which was dismissed, BTW. But, she has my phone number and does not hesitate to call, requesting that Pinky be confined indoors, if he starts getting exuberantly loud. Also, he doesn't like crows and airplanes, and let's you know it, but who does? He also alerts me when there is somebody at the front door, because I'm deaf and don't always hear the doorbell.

One thing I thought remarkable, about the eastern Ruby Throated Hummingbird. So far as I know, it is the only hummer native to the eastern US. They fly nonstop, across the Gulf of Mexico to spend the winter in Mexico. To me, that seems amazing, a tiny bird like that, flying nonstop hundreds of miles!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DiYi
Wears wife's pink panties under his camo for good luck. (yeah, right!)
Member # 3785

Icon 1 posted July 09, 2018 10:29 AM      Profile for DiYi           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard to quote my wife after she read your response;"How cool!Please say hi to Pinky and El BEE."
Posts: 623 | From: SoDak | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 09, 2018 10:59 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a known fact, parrots are selective, I don't know how they know it, but they are partial to one sex or the other. Not always, I guess? But, enough. Pinky likes girls. And, he chases my son all over the house. In other words, they have likes, and they also have dislikes. And, he is a bad ass, not afraid of anything; unless it's some strange little toy he never saw before. But, he will definitely put up a fight, he particularly hates my broom, attacks! He definitely has balls. A lot of parrots just sit on a perch and mumble, but Pinky likes attention, he has a personality.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted July 09, 2018 02:55 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
No doubt that Pinky thrives on attention. When we were there for a visit Pinky let everybody know when he felt he was being ignored.
Neat bird.

--------------------

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted July 09, 2018 03:18 PM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Out here we have the red breasted grosbeaks they are beautiful our neighborhood gangsters are the scrub jays they will come in in a group of fifty or more and decimate the feeder of seed ! if I Put out fat or other protein they are her immediately !The Black and yellow tanagers love the syrup. having a good time with the birds this year !

--------------------

NVWalt
Knows what it's all about
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted July 10, 2018 03:42 AM      Profile for NVWalt           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't want to throw a monkey wrench into the gears but when you post about shooting birds, bear in mind that ALL birds are federally protected except for starlings, rock doves(barn pigeons) and English sparrows ( house sparrows). I believe that collared doves are on the list now also??? and the rest are covered by game regulations. Seeing as we are ThrillBillies here I wouldn't mention any bird other than those three in a post. It is pretty clear that those grackles were mis identified and are in reality starlings..Right...
We don't need to inform any bunny huggers about anything not up to snuff...

--------------------
Idiocracy. Started as a comedy and is now a documentary about the U.S.

Posts: 624 | From: Tellico Plains, TN | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted July 10, 2018 04:03 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
when I lived down in the valley we had grackles what a pain in the ass !

--------------------

earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted July 10, 2018 04:24 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
The lookout is a birders paradise.
Lanzuli buntings, mountain blue birds, golden eagles, kestrals, magpies, rufus sided towhees(sp?)
house wrens and hummingbirds, black chins, broadtails, rufus and maybe anna's. Can't get them to slow down to really figure the females out.
So many I finally had to buy a bird book and figure them out.
If you look real hard towards the fall you'll spot pelecans flying in the air.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1104 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted July 10, 2018 05:58 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Been so focused on predators missed a lot of other delights ! now I have coyotes howling outside my window and I just enjoy listening !

--------------------

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted July 10, 2018 06:00 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't get me wrong still shoot em !

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters