The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Your thoughts on bipods...again... (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Your thoughts on bipods...again...
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2018 06:55 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
So..........How did the walker / shooting platform turn out ????

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2018 07:00 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Fantastic...except it gets caught in the brush a lot.
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2018 10:47 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
They have wheels, right? you can rig up a handle and pull it behind you without too much trouble....or go back to the Harris bipod.

I might have mentioned before, I always had an immediate aversion for Harris bipods with all those stupid springs. Talk about something that snags on brush! Springs snag on brush!

Whatever, some people like'em. On the other hand, I like the clean lines of my Atlas.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Aznative
FARTS ON CLUELESS LIBERALS
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2018 10:59 AM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
I know I'm getting on board this thread late but here is my 2 cents. I like the small bipods that are used on a bench. They are good at giving me a way to set the gun down without it getting in the dirt. They are small and lite. I'm not leaning the gun up against fence lines, trees or brush. If open country I take shooting sticks. However, I'll tell the wife to watch for folding walkers at the Goodwill for my favorite stands.

--------------------
Never thought the devil would need a teleprompter but I could be wrong.

United State of America: RIP
Born July 4th 1776 died November 6th 2012

Posts: 1924 | From: Phoenix Az | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2018 01:30 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
The thrift stores usually have several on hand.
Ask the price, and then inquire "Is that for one or all of them??"
Go for the volume discount.
Brushed in with a milk crate for a stool they make a passable blind that's cheap enough to leave for the season.
For that matter, I've found a couple of beater step ladders that somebody was using for tree stands.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
WhiteMtnCur
Knows what it's all about
Member # 5

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2018 02:35 PM      Profile for WhiteMtnCur   Author's Homepage   Email WhiteMtnCur         Edit/Delete Post 
Can anyone recommend a lighter/ultralight bipod equivalent to the Harris 9-13?
Posts: 97 | From: Nevada | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted June 24, 2018 12:46 AM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
Reading through page one, I thought Koko' was just being silly about the walker!! For real guys?? I won't knock it, I've never tried it. Seems like you would have to be up on both knees to shoot from it?? How does it work?

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted June 24, 2018 12:58 AM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
WMC,

Just use the standard Harris and drill a bunch of holes through your stock to make it lighter!!😀

Fer real, fer real, after your first whole day out with it, you will get used to it. It feels normal to me. If its a long ways to the truck and starts to feel heavy, I just switch shoulders like probably everyone else.

Light weight? What could you save - a couple of ounces maybe? Just get one. They work well. You do have to lift the rifle and reposition it sometimes. If so, you usually have to only reposition once after you initially see the coyote. The areas I hunt, you usually spot the coyotes a far ways out and you have time to move without being seen. If coyotes show up closely in your areas, all bets are off. Sticks would be better.

[ June 24, 2018, 01:01 AM: Message edited by: Locohead ]

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted June 24, 2018 04:59 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Loco, it's more of a permanent stand type thing best used with a folding stool or a milk crate, or on an incline.
Just another tool in the bag of tricks.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 24, 2018 07:05 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Can anyone recommend a lighter/ultralight bipod equivalent to the Harris 9-13?
For what purpose? Daylight stands, on ground level, prone?

Around here, as soon as you lay down, your visibility degrades by a huge amount. Maybe on elevated ground? From a bench? I don't really know? But, as I have already mentioned, look up the Atlas bipod. It makes a Harris look like a Rube Goldberg contraption.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: forgot to mention about the walker solution as a dedicated device for people that have a favorite ambush type stand that you return to frequently, like once a month? I have never made a stand in the same place, ever, so I don't know about that stuff?

edit: reminds me! Trevor, I owe you an email. Slipped my mind, due to iPhone

[ June 24, 2018, 07:10 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

WhiteMtnCur
Member # 5

Icon 1 posted June 25, 2018 04:03 PM      Profile for WhiteMtnCur   Author's Homepage   Email WhiteMtnCur         Edit/Delete Post 
I do a lot of my coyote hunting a few miles past and a couple thousand feet above the signs that say "no motorized vehicles beyond this point." So I'm pretty weight conscious.

That Atlas bipod shaves a couple ounces and looks superior to the Harris. Thanks.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 25, 2018 07:23 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, the Atlas is a little spendy, but it's really well made and should last a lifetime. Doesn't require preloading either. It's a favorite of the tactical boys. It's the only one I own, it has a lever for a quick disconnect from a separately sold picatinny rail.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: as far as past the motor vehicle sign; don't you hunt on horseback?

[ June 25, 2018, 07:27 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted June 26, 2018 04:14 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
A cool thing about the Atlas is the QD throw lever option. Quick on/off, as in like 3seconds. So, you don't hafta keep the bipod mounted on the rifle for every stand, just keep in in your pack, calling bag, or even in the truck when that stand doesn't call for belly flopping...

Or, if ya do wanna keep the bipod on your rifle, the Atlas' legs can fold up 180° astern, allowing them to tuck underneath the forearm. This allows the rifle to slide easily into a backpack scabbard, if you're hunting offf your back. OR, a horse?

I don't dislike the Harris bipod, a notched leg swivel version with a KMW pod lock added is a nice setup! But, the Atlas ergos and versatility have become my preferred means of front support for field prone shooting...

[ June 26, 2018, 04:15 AM: Message edited by: knockemdown ]

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
WhiteMtnCur
Member # 5

Icon 1 posted June 26, 2018 08:01 PM      Profile for WhiteMtnCur   Author's Homepage   Email WhiteMtnCur         Edit/Delete Post 
Most of my time in the roadless country is in the saddle, but whether there or on foot I still try to watch weight so I can carry (more of) other things.
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted June 27, 2018 03:44 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
It is so cool to see all the diverse forms of this sport (if you will) from trucks with pop tops to walkers to horse riders to atv's I would love to have a horse but it is such an investment in time and commitment to the animal that I do not think I could do the job! I love the smell from both ends of a horse ! An animal that changed human history!

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 27, 2018 10:17 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah....what's that they call a "trailer" on a horse? A travois, (French word, I believe?) is it? Which is an Indian invention, replacing the wheel. Anyway, a place to pile up a few carcasses and lunch.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted June 27, 2018 11:31 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
A few years ago, I ran into a fence rider in S.E. Ore. who told me that he called coyotes from up on his horse with a Circe mouth call. He carried a .357 lever action rifle and used .38 special hollow points on anything smaller than deer. Swore that a coyote would come in close to a man calling on horseback. I'm not sure if he was pulling my leg or not but he had 'that look' and I for damn sure wasn't going to call him a liar. I suspect that he didn't get down into town very often.
You meet some interesting people way out in the sagebrush.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 27, 2018 11:38 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that's absolutely true. For some reason, all game, not just coyotes look at a horse and rider as just a horse. Yes, there have been a couple accounts of a coyote attacking a rider but once you get out in the wilderness, hunting on horseback doesn't spook game very much, if at all. I do have an invitation to hunt with Trevor, wonder if I could manage a little bit of that "beyond the motor vehicle "sign?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters