The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Your thoughts on bipods...again... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Your thoughts on bipods...again...
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted May 04, 2018 01:14 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
I love bipods...but have always had a love/hate relationship for something like Harris pods attached to my rifle. I hate anything attached to the gun, but I do like a Harris when calling flat-ish country, but I get tired of it hanging out there when I hafta hoof it a ways. I usually use some form of shooting sticks...used most of em ..from bi to quad legged. Bog pods etc. Ive used em all...

What do you all like right now..if anything at all?
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted May 04, 2018 03:55 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Right now, I split time between a set of Verne Howey sticks and a Snipepod. The Snipepod is lighter and folds up where it can be stored away in a pocket or pack. I walk quite a bit so this can be a help. The SP goes with me when I hunt big game also.

The Howey set is more rigid, stable, and better in deeper snow, but not quite as handy to pack on long jaunts.

Nothing is perfect, but I use them enough to know the limitations and one of the limitations is me needing a rest to shoot well.

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted May 04, 2018 04:31 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Don’t like Bipods at all. Have been using Verne Howey Shooting sticks for probably 20 years. Wouldn’t leave home without them. Best sticks I’ve used...

Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 05, 2018 07:31 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Lemme see? Paul, can you tell the Peanut Gallery the best shooting sticks for a dedicated calling rifle?

As far as "bipods" I can't stand those trapdoor springy contraptions called Harris Bipods. I have a Atlas bipod on a special use type of, (for lack of a better term) Weapon.

Good hunting. El Bee

PS it's kind of amazing how many are still using the Verne Howey sticks. Not knocking them.

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Eddie
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4324

Icon 1 posted May 05, 2018 03:58 PM      Profile for Eddie   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I been using Stoney point shooting sticks for years they fold up to 11inches and fit in a pouch on my side
Never did like the Harris bipods on the gun, to much weight.
Got a hunting buddy the really likes the trigger stick in the bipod style.

Posts: 275 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Asmith
Member # 4636

Icon 1 posted May 06, 2018 04:32 AM      Profile for Asmith   Email Asmith         Edit/Delete Post 
Verne Howey Shooting sticks for me too. tried a lot of what has been mentioned already and they all work but verne howey suit my needs well.
Posts: 11 | From: missouri | Registered: Jul 2015  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted May 06, 2018 04:43 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
I like the Polecat they attach to a fitting you mount to your front sling mount and pop on and off with spring loaded bearings. been using them for years got tired of going back trying to find my shooting sticks that I would leave from time to time.

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 06, 2018 07:32 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
There you go!

That's what I have used for years. I have several others including homemade in Canada as an emergency, which I haven't used since, along with the snow shoes, but that attachment system really works for me and Paul. It stays put, too. Just plug it in and don't worry about the whole rig falling over, it takes care of itself. It had a detent swivel type of attachment to the stock and the only drawback is that you can't use it on any other gun. But, I notice that they are selling the attachment separately, so in theory, you can have several different rifles set up and only one set of telescoping sticks. Frankly, I'd be kinda lost without mine, been using it since before Africa and I ain't wore it out yet. Actually, I have two rifles set up for this system, I recommend it.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted May 06, 2018 07:59 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
I buy the attachments separately and have them on all my rifles !

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 06, 2018 12:56 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but how come nobody knows about a nice little system, as this is? Of course, I never bothered to tell anybody except Paul and he's gone crazy with it. [Smile]

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Moe
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted May 06, 2018 04:06 PM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
After trying lots of other products I settled on Bog Pod. Worked for me.

--------------------
I snatch kisses. And vice versa.

Posts: 593 | From: Oregon | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted May 07, 2018 06:47 AM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't remember the maker of the shooting sticks I use, but they work for me and have for many years. I never liked the attached bi-pods. One time I was in a situation where I had to stand and shoot off hand at a fleeing coyote and I had a bi-pod attached to my rifle. The coyote had stopped running but that damn bi-pod was swinging below my rifle and I could not hold steady for nothing. Decided then and there I'd never have attached bi-pod again.

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted May 07, 2018 06:58 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Leonards positive is my negative. Hate having sticks actually attached to the rifle like that. I usually like to stand up and shoot off my hind legs on any kind of mover. Just shoot moving targets better that way. Will not abide sticks stuck to the rifle.

Due to terrain and angles and such, bipods are more often an actual hindrance not a help for how and where I mostly hunt. The tallest ones are frequently not tall enough. Big move on a sidehill, they just suck ass completely. Carrying them sucks. Shooting runners with them sucks. I just say No to bipods.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Brent Parker
Member # 4354

Icon 1 posted May 07, 2018 07:37 AM      Profile for Brent Parker   Email Brent Parker         Edit/Delete Post 
I have both. I have a Harris or Atlas attached to the front of my rifle and carry a set of Vern's sticks as well. For the areas I'm going prone I use the bipod and rear bag and the rest of the areas I use the sticks. But I also use those scopes with funky reticles and twist turrets!
My rifles on the heavy side around 12.5 lbs. but its what I'm used to also.

Posts: 172 | From: 2 miles east of Vic | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 07, 2018 12:28 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
To each his own; no doubt.

One thing I might like to clarify about the situation where you might have to stand up for visibility or for a running shot, etc. It's not really a valid argument as far as the attachment causing a problem on the fore end. As you stand up, detaching the detent swivel takes less time than talking about it. I certainly wouldn't stand for a shot with that rig swinging around, when it can be detached so easily. Makes me think that Dave isn't familiar with this particular set up, or has something else in mind?

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: I'm still not sure words are adequate in some illustrative situations? This device is no more permanently attached to the rifle than a lens cover. Use what you are comfortable with or use nothing at all, but when detached, the receptacle is not even noticeable, as a hindrance.

[ May 07, 2018, 12:39 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted May 07, 2018 11:37 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
I have used Harris bipods since before I'd even heard of shooting sticks. I have them on 3 different rifles. I do not notice a difference in weight because all of my rifles have them once you get used to them. Not having them would feel almighty strange. I shoot deer and elk the same as coyotes...from my rear on the ground, knees up, and bi-pod up. I guess I have shot all from prone but not as often.

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 08, 2018 06:36 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! Loco makes a post without asking for his log in information! [Smile]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2018 09:50 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] :#

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2018 03:24 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I like my Atlas bipods, with the QD throw lever. Course, that requires mounting a small rail up under the stock's nose, but the ability to slap it on/off is worth the effort...

As for stix, I'm a total tripod fag now. If I'm sitting on my butt, calling, my rifle is gonna be either cradled or clamped above a tripod...

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted May 21, 2018 03:44 PM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
I started using the Primos sticks a couple years back. I like them. They help hold the rifle up when sitting' otherwise the rifle or shotgun sits on my lap and I shoot with my elbows on my knees. Rarely I actually stand and shoot offhand anymore, except shotgunning.

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted May 22, 2018 06:55 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
I make my own Howey knock offs, having made an improvement on them some time back. and I have a 9-13 Harris on each of my rifles. Been a number of times where I have had to go prone in a hurry and it only take a second to drop both legs before lining up on a runner going across short cover in the open. The improvement to the Howeys is a foot on each leg about an inch up from the point. Consists of a washer welded around a short sleeve that slips onto the leg and is epoxied in place. Acts like those doohickies on ski poles and keeps the legs from sinking into soft soil or sand. The inch of point keeps it from slipping out from under you.

I've heard all the arguments about why sticks are a bad idea and they just don't apply for me, I guess. My offhand shooting skills suck so I need the stability of sticks, and I've used them so much that shooting, then grabbing the yoke and forearm of the rifle and moving the whole kit-and-kadoodle to get on the next target is just automatic anymore. It's been several years and several hundred coyotes since I recall sticks costing me a shot. As was stated earlier, I never leave the truck without them.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2018 07:17 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Lance, those Harris bipods are something I couldn't tolerate.

I can count on one hand the number of times I have laid prone, in the field, with a rifle and intending to shoot some critter. In my experience, bad things happen on the ground, ants, scorpions, snakes and most of all, cactus. Those spines shed, and float and drift all over. There doesn't need to be a cactus nearby to get stuck. That's my story, don't lay down, you will be sorry.

You people that have grass out in the places you hunt are fortunate, as long as it's short grass! Most places I might lay down, you can't see a damned thing when you get there!

I will admit this, the one time I killed 6 coyotes on a stand, I was prone, but that's a story that has been told before.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2018 08:58 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Ok...…….. You want the ultimate bi-pod ??
Go to your local Thrift Store.
Buy a walker. They're cheap. And they fold up.
A little rattle can paint, some camo fabric and a bit of padding & you're good to go.
Did I mention cheap ?? If you have a few established stands, brush a walker in and leave it for the season.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2018 12:31 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
All good input...but Koko wins. Im off to get a walker.
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2018 07:18 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Aw........ You're making me blush. [Smile]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters