The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Old farts club? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Old farts club?
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted April 20, 2018 11:13 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Now that's funny, right there !!!!

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7579 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted April 20, 2018 12:37 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
I actually thought you were talking about some kind of weird people you have down there!
Not actual real live possums. LOL

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 20, 2018 03:03 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
No, I don't bother to call weird people opossums. They are very common around here.

I remember Victor claimed, at one time that there were no opossums in Arizona. I don't know what e based that on, and I have never seen one over there, but I'd be very surprised if they are not there. They are rather harmless. Dogs will kill them in a heartbeat but cats are stubborn and almost refuse to look at them. I guess the theory is, if you don't acknowledge them, they don't exist?

Now this one I caught last year by mistake when I was trying to get a Siamese that I had seen in the back several times, so he wasn't just passing through. Yeah, I caught him too. But, this one is full grown, the ones this morning were teenagers.

One time, Nanc went out to the garage with a Maglite and heard something in a 50 pound bag of dog food, Now, I would not do this but she stuck her face in there and there was a very large opossum helping himself to the kibble. Come to find out, he was staying in a corner of the garage that was a architectural feature, and it had never occurred to me to look in there, on the sides of the garage that serve no purpose, maybe for looks? But he was a regular and pretended to be asleep when I poked at him. But, I cut off the chow.

Anyway, check it out:

-

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31459 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted April 22, 2018 04:55 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes we have opossums but not true possums they are in Australia and New Zeeland !

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 22, 2018 06:31 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Really? I guess you know what you are talking about, but? The word is "marsupials", right?

So far as I know, and that's not much. There never were any native mammals in Australia, until rabbits and Dingos were introduced.

Was it Davy Crocket that out-grinned a opossum? Must have been a reward of some kind?

I took a photo one time of a momma Opossum as she walked along the top of the block wall in the back yard. I think she had 10 babies holding on. She only stopped long enough for one quick pic.

They are often mistaken for rats. We have those too. Roof rats. They are sort of Gypsies, follow the backyard fruit, in my case, it's prickly pear.

I have had coyotes walk along the top of that same block wall. It's amazing their effortless leaping ability! Have you ever seen a coyote tear a rabbit apart and swallow large chunks, no chewing except to saw off the legs.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted April 22, 2018 07:07 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
If you have 'possums and gullible neighbors you have cheap entertainment.
Casually mention that there are rumors that the entire housing track was built on an illegal toxic waste dump, possibly even nuclear waste. Big government cover-up for tax dollars, yadda, yadda, yadda.
Live trap a few 'possums.
Buy a couple of rattle cans of glow in the dark spray paint.
Spray 'em down & set 'em free.
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
I used to have a wine & cheese liberal neighbor who was paranoid BEFORE he met me. By the time I moved north he was convinced that I was the Zodiac, the gunman on the grassy knoll and may have had something to do with the Hindenberg Disaster.
Good times !!!!!! [Cool]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7579 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted April 22, 2018 09:04 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Leonard they are all marsupials ! But the possum and the opossum are two different creatures.
KoKo ur killin me I can just imagine your neighbor peeking out the window to observe your behavior !LOL

ps the roof rats in Az.
follow the citrus!

[ April 22, 2018, 09:07 AM: Message edited by: Paul Melching ]

--------------------

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 22, 2018 02:19 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
As long as we are exploring that subject; I have critters that dig in the bark ground cover, not sure if it is gray squirrels or the opossums?

I forgot that I have Limes, Lemons and neighbor has Valencia's. I have seen squirrels, in the oranges. Roof rats are nocturnal around here.

I will say this. It's a banner year for nesting mourning doves in this neighborhood. I've never seen so many? They are nesting in my eaves.

Of course, the band tailed pigeons are back. We have a flock of about two dozen that nest in the local trees, they prefer the Japanese black pines which were one option offered by the landscapers when this area was developed.

There is a major war between the Allen's and the Black throated hummingbirds. Other news, crows have been back for quite a few years now and the main sufferers are the scrub jays, and the mockingbirds, which can't keep their mouths shut all night long! And, we have skinks and blue bellies, lots of blue bellies. (a small lizard)

This is residential, about 3 1/2 miles, east to west and the same north to south, tract houses on 1/4 acre lots, totally built out, there is literally, not an empty lot in this town. The coyotes are on cat patrol, starting pretty soon. Since there are quarries both sides of town, east and west and the San Gabriel's to the north, they drift into town via the quarries and the storm drains. Hardly ever see skunks or raccoons any more, but when this area was wall to wall lemon groves, they were numerous. Of course, they only dug up the minimum, everybody around here has lemon trees. I guarantee, you cannot sell lemons in this town. Eureka's. (will be on the test)

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted April 22, 2018 11:54 PM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
As a Landscape contractor for the last 40+ years the old joke was where is the best place to plant a lemon tree, in your neighbors yard next to the wall ! How many of them fuckers do you need ?

--------------------

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted April 22, 2018 11:55 PM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Oranges different story !

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 23, 2018 05:31 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree, but I did uproot 3 and behind me, he dug up 8! I planted a Lime for a single purpose, to shove a slice down a long neck, which I have done 2 or 3 times, so far. The assholes next door called the cops on a couple Mexicans that were helping themselves to the lemons in their front yard, never mind that they have three trees in the back yard, it's the principle!

My father in law used to pick 2 or 3 grocery bags full of my lemons to distribute to his neighbors. My only bitch was that he never left anything I could reach without a ladder on those rare occasions when we had fish. But, I have to say, George was a good guy, RIP.

Another sure fire crowd pleaser: letting the grandkids make a mess while making Lemonade, at least 5 gallons, enough for everybody! Everybody needs a lemon tree!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted April 23, 2018 06:16 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
LOL

--------------------

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted April 23, 2018 07:25 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
If you want a REAL crowd pleaser, spend the morning with the grandkids building a trebuchet for those lemons.
[Smile]

--------------------

earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted April 23, 2018 01:23 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Can I get a lemon tree to grow in Challis?

--------------------

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted April 24, 2018 04:44 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Citrus in Challis in a greenhouse!

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 24, 2018 08:00 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a man that really likes his Lemonade! Paul's a dedicated green wienie. Might as well claim, "organic." while you're at it? No cherry juice, that's Gay!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted April 25, 2018 03:41 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
2 winters ago even that wouldn't have worked we hit -38 one morning.

--------------------

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted April 25, 2018 03:49 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Shit and I whine about the cold here !

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 25, 2018 02:43 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Our ice cream freezers didn't even get that low! But with a SERIOUS wind chill factor. About -25 or so, in the ice cream plant And, dry! Like hardly any humidity whatsoever.

Thrifty Ice Cream, the best!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted April 26, 2018 03:30 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
It's a real low RH at Challis.
When we came back down to the low lands with a little warmer temps we just about froze to death. Higher RH down here and it hit us hard.
We can tolerate colder temps with little to no RH now over warmer and higher RH's.

--------------------

earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2018 04:09 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
In the high country.
The apricot tree is in full bloom. Bees were very busy yesterday. Even had a butterfly on it. My other fruit trees are just now getting ready to wake up. Looks like they all survived their first year here. I Have 2 shade trees that are questionable whether they survived or not.
The cottonwoods are leafing out and my one aspen tree. The lilacs are getting ready to bloom. So all is well here.

Boise has become L.A north. The traffic is horrendous. Anywhere from 2 to 5 lights to get through some intersections. And all they want to do is race between lights then take their sweet damn time turning or going through the intersections. I need to get to the mountain top. 2 more summers then I'm done with the government.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2018 08:08 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember one time, asking the Deputy Sheriff for directions: "turn right at the signal", and thanking him, (his name was Bronco) I said, Which light? And, he said "The light, there's only one in this town." That's small town charm, and they know it.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2018 12:33 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Gee............when I ask for directions I get something like "Turn left 'bout a half mile before where the old Johnson barn used to be."

[Eek!]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2018 01:33 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Shave!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2018 01:45 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
No.

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters