The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Wind River (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Wind River
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted April 04, 2018 01:46 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
is on Netflix now for you guys that didn't see it in the theater. The main character is a USFWS predator control man. I saw it in the theater just to see how we wolfers were portrayed and they did a damned fine job. If you haven't seen it yet, you should.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted April 05, 2018 08:46 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Lance that was a good movie. Just watched it.
Posts: 1566 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moe
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2018 07:39 AM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this film about a week ago. Not bad. I guess I never really thought about the fact that the guy was doing wolf control.

--------------------
I snatch kisses. And vice versa.

Posts: 593 | From: Oregon | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2018 08:46 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Good flick, def worth the watch...
Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted April 09, 2018 12:22 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Just finished it good flic not too much Hollywood believable !

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
CrossJ
SECOND PLACE: PAUL RYAN Look-a-like contest
Member # 884

Icon 1 posted April 09, 2018 06:31 AM      Profile for CrossJ   Email CrossJ         Edit/Delete Post 
I watched the movie when it first came out. Watched it again the other day on netflix and realized it was edited....at least the opening coyote killing scene was. In the first one I saw you see him kill two and know he kills the third....in netflix version, he kills one and appears to let one go???? Also, no scene in netflix version of the dead coyotes in back of truck.

--------------------
A friend will help you move. A good friend will help you move a body.

Posts: 1025 | From: on a water tower | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 09, 2018 06:38 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so I don't have netflix. Any other way, besides a theater?

I will say something. Apparently I'm a little different. (well, of course, everybody knows that) Anyway, I don't get very much out of hunting, as entertainment. I don't watch the Foxpro channel or whatever it is, or anything else, I completely lack interest in watching any form of hunting. Well, maybe hunting wolves with eagles, but that's about it.

Can't say that about fishing. I love WICKED TUNA, for instance. Some aspects are phonyed up, like there are only five boats in the Atlantic Ocean fishing for tuna, and being on top of the leader board, but I record every episode. For some reason, I can't sit still and watch any kind of hunting show?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31333 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Greenside
seems to know what he is talking about
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted April 09, 2018 09:18 AM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
Rifle choice seemed a bit odd? Grizz protection in winter?
Posts: 719 | From: IA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted April 09, 2018 09:22 AM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Watched it the other night, not a bad flick. I will tell you Leonard, it had very little to do with hunting, at least how we do it.
Showed him sniping at a pair of coyotes in a sheep pasture, no calling, just laying in wait, bang flop. Then a brief segment to let the viewer know he was after a lion that had presumably killed livestock. Any hunting filled maybe six or eight minutes of an hour and a half film.
Like you, I don't watch hunting shows or videos. Always gives me an inferiority complex, or sense of lacking enthusiasm. Figure if I don't shake and shiver like a dog shittin' a peach pit, and high five my partner, I must not have the drive and passion like one should.

Posts: 1601 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted April 09, 2018 10:29 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Laughing my ass off Vic!

--------------------

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 09, 2018 12:37 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but that's about the size of it. To me, it's like watching a video of somebody typing a letter. FALL ASLEEP BORING!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted April 10, 2018 06:51 PM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I like watching Wicked Tuna, too. But much more enjoyable, in person...
 -

DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted April 11, 2018 10:04 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Where's the Like button...

Nice Fred, very nice!

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted April 11, 2018 10:20 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
BTW...

Nothing against the guys that do it, not one dang thing, but I don't have much interest in hunting shows on TV either. I did use to watch episodes with guys I know on them. And as far as anything on TV goes, those were worth watching - a helluva lot better than a Forged in Fire re-run. Just fun to see guys like Cal on TV. I don't get that channel anymore though, so, can't even watch when my friends are on TV...

I watch very, very little TV in general anyway though. Sports, mostly, not much else (except Forged in Fire and Oak Island re-runs, lol!). Tried to watch that tuna show once, didn't last ten minutes before I tapped out. I can't stand to watch any of the cable news channels, including Fox.

I really think TV, in general, is for people mostly my age and older, anymore. Maybe people a little bit younger than me too? But "young" people just don't have much use for TV, from what I see. Me either. Just too much better or more important stuff to do, than sit on the couch.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 11, 2018 11:23 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I am totally hooked on Forged in Fire!

I also watch Bering Sea Gold. There is a chick on there that I would like to "get to know".

I still watch crab fishing,

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted April 11, 2018 11:41 AM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Had to grin; like Dave, my son loves Oak Island, and rarely misses a show. I always rib him every time he has to head home so He can catch the episode, I tell him " I can tell you how it ends".
About the only TV that is "must watch" for me, is Tucker Carlson on Fox. I admire his intellect, logic and really good line of questions to his various guests, smart guy for sure.
I will admit I can sit down in the evening and watch Beat Bobby Flay, I'm a sucker for cooking shows.

Posts: 1601 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted April 11, 2018 12:04 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I’m like Vic. I enjoy watching Tucker Carlson but that’s about it. I hardly ever watch TV. Seems like I’m always to busy to sit down and watch much TV.....
Posts: 1566 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted April 11, 2018 12:08 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Vic;
Ever see an old time cooking show called 'The Galloping Gourmet' with Graham Kerr ???
It was something else. [Eek!]
The episodes before he got religion were a hoot.
"A little wine for the sauce ......... a little sauce for the cook." [Cool]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7511 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 10 posted April 11, 2018 03:05 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I forgot Oak Island. That damned show has been sucking me in for 5 or 6 years, and they get nowhere?

What I'd like to know, how did they lose the money hole, in the first place? I have a feeling I'm being played for a sucker, but.

I was first fascinated by the mystery by an article in a magazine I'm sure when I was a teenager, then nothing until I cam across this show. I figured great, I always wondered what was down there! WoW! bits of pottery and a human bone! If they don't find something soon, I might have to give up!

Good hunting. El Bee

I also watch the drag racing shit. I don't know how I ever got interested, but I did.

edit: another fan of Tucker Carlson here

[ April 11, 2018, 03:07 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted April 12, 2018 02:23 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
As knife builder I also enjoy Forged in Fire from time to time. Oak Island is for suckers I've seen three episodes and said they aint finding shit !
Mostly watch Starz Encore channel 538 on Directv old westerns. if I watch anything at all ! I still Love Steve Mc Queen.
Fred ! took some clients out on a three day boat I pulled in an 80 pound big eye skipper said it was the largest big eye on his boat then a yellow tail skipper nodded the first mate who then went below and came back with a plate of wasabi and soy we had a feast. Fun times !

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 12, 2018 08:23 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm jealous! The last time I was on a long ranger, all we had was prime rib!

I believe the article I read must have been in the 50's in either Argosy or True Magazine, very adult content, in it's time.

I've caught yellowfin and albacore, never Big eye or Bluefin....looks easy, on TV? But the thing that bugs me about that show is the lack of technical information. I get the impression that they don't use tuna tubes, at all? I can't even figure out what lb. test they are generally using? How can that be a trade secret?

Let me editorialize a minute. Watching a little bit of that Creep Zuckerberg, I am so glad that I stuck to my principles, never gave in and joined FaceBook. He's a sneaky little cocksucker!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted April 12, 2018 11:43 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, we got that bluefin on a rigged ballyhoo, 10/0 Owner & 200# fluoro leader and weighed Skirt up front...

Paul, we do the sashimi thing on the boat, all the time! Ain't getting no better than that!!!
Had a dinner party at the Marina that night and Chef made a couple big boats of sashimi outta that bluefin, enough for 18 of us...

Needless to say, my Mercury levels are prolly enough to make my blood glow in the dark!

Edit:to resize pics

[ April 13, 2018, 04:00 AM: Message edited by: knockemdown ]

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 12, 2018 03:21 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so you don't do the still fishing? Do you get a big tuna like that to hit a Zuker or are you strictly trolling bait? Generally, we use some type of skirted jig, preferably with a big eye or maybe a latex squid but if a billfish is on top and following, feed him a live mackerel.

Offshore fishing along the SoCal coast is very spotty, from one year to the next. Warmer the water, the better the fishing. Do you have anchovies over there? Don't see them in Cabo, at least I haven't? But sardines are usually available here locally, and big too!

Good hunting. El Bee

[ April 12, 2018, 03:22 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2018 04:13 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Troll vs. bait is dependent upon location, conditions, bait & fish concentrations, time of year, etc...
Down south, it's mostly trolling, with naked and/or skirted 'meat' (ballyhoo). Some commercial boats use the 'Green stick', which is a whole mutha ballgame.
Boats that don't catch on the troll sometimes stay out overnight to save the cost of fuel to/from the grounds. So, they set some baits and hope for a "bonus" bite during the night. Sometimes, the "night bite" can be better than the troll bite...

Up north, the fish are stacked on structure, so bait fishing is pretty much a sit-n-wait game. Basically, park it on a good spot and wait for the fish to turn on & wanna bite.

Similar to how we fish yellowfin/bigeye in the Canyons, with minor changes in gear for those super powerful big ones. NOTHING pulls like a big bluefin!!!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2018 07:45 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Something I noticed, still fishing with bait, down in Mexico it's primarily Yellowfin and Dorado. The tuna go straight down, but the Dorado stay up and frequently jump. Fishing over a piece of flotsam. They aren't very big 35-50 pounds.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters