The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Set, Hook, Release!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Set, Hook, Release!
ursus21
2nd place, John Denver lookalike Contest
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2018 07:49 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
It has been an exceptionally long winter. We sent all kinds of records for snow depth and cold. Finally we have a little open water although most of the lakes are still frozen. I needed an excuse to break in my new pair of Simms G3 waders. A friend of mine got us permission to cross some private land to access the Missouri River. We went for a long hike, and it worth every step.

Unbelievable day.
 -

Another slab.
 -

Love these new waders and the Korker's wading boots are the bomb. I wore them all day for nearly 11 straight hours of hiking and fishing. My feet are the only thing that isn't sore this morning. [Wink]
 -

Just yarded them out all day.
 -

This last fish really made my day. What a fight he put up. I can't think of a single thing I would have changed about the day other than I wish my youngest daughter could have been with me, but she had to work. Hope y'all enjoy the pics.
 -

Posts: 780 | From: Montana | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2018 08:22 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I think that you caught more big trout in a day than I've caught in my entire life.

[Eek!]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2018 10:12 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto what ko ko said! Damn, this guy is the Hugh Heffner of trout fishing. Thanks for posting, Troy. Always a pleasure looking at your gorgeous fish.

By the way, that last one. You said; what a fight "he" put up! Maybe 6 pounds or so? Is that a female Rainbow?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
ursus21
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2018 10:14 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, it's a male. I didn't weigh it, but I'd say your weight guess is pretty spot on.

Koko, trust me when I say I never take living here for granted. I've lived in other states and I know first hand how different it can be.

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2018 10:44 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, you've got awesome fishing up there but we've got world class scorpion hunting and I don't even have to leave my yard to do it. [Smile]

Although........I have caught grayling down here.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
ursus21
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2018 12:06 PM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
Koko which state are you in?
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2018 01:51 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in Arizona............yeah, grayling.
There's a small lake up on the Rim that has them in it near where I hunt every Aug.
A couple of lakes in northern Az. have northern pike, too.
Plus, we have Apache Trout & Gila Trout.
I need to do more fishing.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2018 03:23 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Seems like I've run into grayling on the San Carlos? Where the Black and White rivers converge, I think it was? I believe Mormon Lake, which isn't more that a couple feet deep has Northerns in it but it's so choked with vegetation that you really can't fish with rod and reel. I think archery tackle or a frog gig might be an option?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

ursus21
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted March 27, 2018 05:07 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
Koko, Arizona is one of those states I lived in that make me appreciate the fishing opportunities I have up here. Yes, Arizona does offer some great fishing, but probably not the volume of choices Montana has though. You guys do have some incredible predator hunting though. What I'd give to be able to hunt grey fox!
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted March 27, 2018 05:58 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah Very nice fish Troy. But if I lived up in Beautiful Montana, I’d be fishin Fort Peck for big Walleye....😉 Speaking of Which the Walleye should be getting ready to Spawn, might have to dust off my fishing pole
Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted March 27, 2018 06:02 AM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
most awesome pictures Troy. A little envious.

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted March 27, 2018 11:46 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Troy them is sum pigs ! I've caught a few like that browns and bows in the Eastern Sierra but not like that days haul!

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
ursus21
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted March 27, 2018 12:20 PM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
The trouble with the blue ribbon quality of the Missouri River is that it spoils you for just about anywhere else, except maybe Alaska when it comes to trout.
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted March 27, 2018 12:44 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I should be so spoiled. [Smile]

For a little while today I got to pretend I was Troy. Went to our local put & take pond and caught a quick limit of stockers. Nothing of size but no qualms about keeping them for the frying pan.

--------------------

ursus21
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted March 27, 2018 03:24 PM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
Koko, fishing is fishing and I find it all fun including put and take fisheries. Glad to hear you got out. As a kid growing up in Sierra Vista there several well stocked ponds on the military base. My friends and I would fish them 3 to 4 times a week all summer long. I learned a ton about fishing while hammering those put and take ponds. My last summer there I was 11 years old. I didn't keep count of the bluegill, channel catfish, or bass I caught, but I did decide to count the rainbow trout I landed. I landed exactly 75 rainbows that summer. I thought was pretty good for a little kid growing up in the desert. Those were good times.
MI VHNTR
I'm not shaving 'til Obama's gone!
Member # 3370

Icon 1 posted March 27, 2018 06:33 PM      Profile for MI VHNTR   Email MI VHNTR         Edit/Delete Post 
VERY impressive pictures. Thanks for sharing.

--------------------
The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting. It's about Freedom.

FJB Let's Go Brandon

Posts: 394 | From: MI | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted March 28, 2018 04:21 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
I still can't believe the size of those fish!
Thanks for posting them.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted March 28, 2018 05:01 AM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that looks like fun. I can tell you that the Missouri River doesn't look like that over here in Missouri.

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 28, 2018 09:55 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Good one, Dan!

I grew up on the Mississippi, hydro damns and controlled flow. So far as I remember, you can't get past Minneapolis in a boat?

At my part of that river, it wasn't much more than the Colorado is, out here. Really, the Colorado is a two bit river compared to the Missouri or the Mississippi. And, compared to the Miss. which they tell me is a mile and a half wide as it enters the Gulf, I have seen where the Colorado ends in what you might call a swamp, in Mexico. In other words, hardly a drop goes to waste.

Then, there's the fishing. In the parts of the Colorado that I am familiar, (excluding the Grand canyon) you have Stripers and Carp, that's about it, as far as I know? And, as long as I lived in Minnesota, I never saw a trout?

Our friend in Montana has a hell of a deal, I agree with others who say they haven't caught that many trophy fish in a lifetime. For me, I never have! I don't think I ever caught a fish over even 3 pounds? And, 3 pounds was a big deal. Like Paul says, the Eastern Sierra has decent fishing but you won't be cranking out ten or twelve lunkers in an afternoon. That's insane, Troy!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

JP
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4095

Icon 1 posted March 28, 2018 11:04 AM      Profile for JP           Edit/Delete Post 
"As a kid growing up in Sierra Vista there several well stocked ponds on the military base."

Not a pond left on the fort, all as dry as a popcorn fart, and have been for years.

Posts: 150 | From: So AZ | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
ursus21
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted March 28, 2018 11:46 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
JP, that breaks my heart. The nicest one was called the Officer's Pond. It had beautiful mature trees around it. It looked like something out of a magazine.
Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2018 03:47 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard
The Colorado has some incredible trout fishing From Lee's Ferry south I did a three day float trip saw trout as nice as the trout pictured didn't bring fishing gear on that trip ,so sad !
This was through the Vermillion Cliffs to Bright Angel Trail in the big ditch.

[ March 29, 2018, 03:50 AM: Message edited by: Paul Melching ]

--------------------

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2018 06:05 AM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Truth right there Paul. Ive fished the Lees Ferry portion a few times long ago with my brother. They had quality fish that were equal or even bigger than those pictured. Don't know how it is now, but in its day, it was a premier fishery.
Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2018 07:26 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I don't know about any of that, although I have hunted around Lee's ferry. but from Lake Powell to Holiday Shores, for me, that's a black hole, fishing wise. I know there must be trout somewhere, but I just haven't seen any?

That's another thing. Before I die, bucket list. I would love to do two weeks on a houseboat on Lake Powell! Damn, that's a beautiful lake! The thing that appeals to me is the number of coves to tie up and spend a quiet night damned near alone and owning the place. Big trout, I don't know, but there has to be some damed nice bass in there, big mouth. That is my idea of SERENITY. Just wish the water was a little warmer, for jumping in, I'm a total pussy for cold water. (talk about shrinkage!)

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2018 11:43 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard
We used to park our motorhome on Lone Rock beach and moor our boat just off shore been in every canyon on the lake we would do every Fourth of July there. But there is nothing like a striper boil to get you excited ! we would go back as far as the depth would allow and then walk of the front of the boat for a hike really cool stuff to see !

[ March 29, 2018, 11:45 AM: Message edited by: Paul Melching ]

--------------------

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters