The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » If you bring that AR with us one more time man.... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: If you bring that AR with us one more time man....
ATexan
Knows what it's all about
Member # 6799

Icon 1 posted March 20, 2018 06:06 PM      Profile for ATexan   Email ATexan         Edit/Delete Post 
So my hunting partner is a AR nut. Dude has got more AR type guns than a military armory. 223 check, 556 check, 300 black out check, .308 check, .22 check, and more than I want to type out.
Anyway, we went out to one of my family piece of land that is right near a big sandy river bottom and a nice spring feed creek. Coyotes are up and down the river and creeks, signs are everywhere, plenty of food and water.I have killed countless dogs on this piece of land over my 35 years. Arrive at 6:30 a.m., get parked, get the guns and gear out and start the hunt. First stand, we setup over looking a old hay field with the light starting to brighten up the sky. Ah, I love early morning hunts! 2 weeks prior we were busted by a big male while out calling. This damn yote would turn its back and howl, then swing back around and look right at our direction and bark his ass off. Boom, swing around and let out a mean sounding howl, and do a 180 back to us barking again.He went on like this for 20 mins. So this morning we had his number, instead of a 1200 yrd shot, we were going to sneak in close to were we last saw him 2 weeks ago, and make a stand there hoping for a closer shot. My partner does the calling on this stand, I am down wind of him 50 yrds hoping for the prime shot. We get a few yotes howling I would say 1/2 mile off. Howled some more and waited. No takers.
So off to the second stand and my hate of ARs about to rear its ugly head. We make our way and find a nice spot. Wind is in the right direction for good visibility for any dogs circling. I had the down wind side of the last stand so now i am up wind and doing most of the calling. I start off with a female howl, hopefully a nice hello, anyone around. 5 mins go by and I dont hear or see anything. I pulled out the cottontail distress and give it a go. About a min after i quit with the cottontail my partner is sounding off to my right, 3 shots. I am sitting on the other side of a sand hill from where he is, maybe 25 yrds away and out of sight. I start a series of injured puppy sounds for 30 seconds and no other shot is fired. I wait for a few, scaning and hoping for a another coyote to appear on my side. Nope, so I walk over the hill and see my partner in his scope. Shit! I jumped the gun, sure enough the biggest yote we have called up this year is looking at me not 30 yrds away half hidden in the buck brush. My partner is directly in front of me and the coyote is 25 yrds ahead of him. No shot for me. So its the stare down of the year, this dog keeps staring right at me. me, hell I am sky lined like no other for the dog is down hill of me. I said out loud, "Shoot the damn thing Ryno" Ryno 4th round of the event went 2 ft low, the dog is now on the move mayby 30 yds and visible. 5 th round of his is high and right, the dog grabs another gear. Now its finally getting where i can put a bead on the mutt and end this thing, running from right to left the yote is now to Ryno's left and clear for me to shoot. 6th round of his is right at the front left foot of the yote as it disappears over the next hill. Dammit! I looked at Ryno and told him if he brings that fuckin ar again I will take it away and make him use a sling shot. 'Dude 6 shots and no fur on the ground!' 'My blind, dead grand ma could have killed that one!" I was mad, he was pissed because he missed. It was a very quite walk back to the truck.
So what did I learn that stand. Shotgun. Shotgun. Shotgun. Its a must. And leave your damn AR at Home!!

Posts: 112 | From: Texas | Registered: Mar 2018  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted March 20, 2018 07:22 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
So tell him to buy a Mini-14 w/low power scope & spend a couple of afternoons jump shooting jackrabbits.
Might help.

[Smile]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 20, 2018 07:59 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah but the nice thing about that smoothe handling AR is you have that quick follow up shot. Also, deadly on multiples!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted March 21, 2018 04:18 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Does not sound like a gun problem !
Took my two great nephews out calling one with a bolt gun and one with an AR. called in some fox I nod to the younger to shoot he does one down I nod to the older he shoots click , never seated the round I nod to the younger ,he takes a double on his first ever predator stand besting his older brother, Took the older out the next day to even the score LOL
Great story Tex thanks for sharing it I always feel like I'm siting there its great !

[ March 21, 2018, 04:19 AM: Message edited by: Paul Melching ]

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted March 21, 2018 06:18 AM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
yip, make him carry the shotgun BUT we better not hear you whining after he shoots multiple times at one that was 40 yards away on the first shot, and rolled him the next two shots, and it still got away, because as you'll soon learn, a shotgun ain't magic either! [Wink]

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted March 21, 2018 06:25 AM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
To steal Geordies' line...."It ain't the arrow, it's the Indian"
Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted March 21, 2018 06:32 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
That was great Vic !

--------------------

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted March 21, 2018 06:58 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
^^^ [Big Grin] ^^^

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted March 21, 2018 07:36 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
lol TR...thats the truth of it.
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 21, 2018 12:05 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Geeze! I've been letting my comments above soak since last night and nobody called bullshit! What's wrong with you people? I hate friggin' ARs! I am surprised somebody didn't send me a private message warning that somebody had obviously stolen my password! Oh? I guess I disabled private messaging, huh? Still, somebody should have noticed such an obvious fake message, or what am I doing here?

Good hunting. El Bee

PS yes, expect it to be on the test!

[ March 21, 2018, 03:07 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted March 21, 2018 12:51 PM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
I was laughing after reading it. Figured you would clarify !

--------------------

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted March 21, 2018 12:54 PM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Now I can say that I have had some AR's that were great shooters deadly accurate ! And to top if off the best of the best was A .223 Okay LB you can start now !

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 21, 2018 03:21 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Boy, you are spot on, Paul! My AR is deadly accurate with anything I put through it! If I do my part.

But, again, I shouldn't have to police my own blurbs. You folks need to pay attention and let me know when I'm full of shit.

Yes, I know. That's a tall order. And, we cannot expect ko ko to do it all. Think about it. Just posting his own sage, yet brilliant comments is a full time job for an ordinary man, yet he finds time to make sure that I don't step on my dick, in a verbal sense.

Anyway, when it come to AR bullshit; IF YOU SEE SOMETHING, SAY SOMETHING!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Eddie
Member # 4324

Icon 1 posted March 21, 2018 05:50 PM      Profile for Eddie   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I hunted with a few guys that used a AR, its not for me. But I seen one or two guys make some good shots with a AR. I had a mini 14 one time didn't shoot to bad but it would throw brass everywhere, not good for a reloader. For the past ten years I've been using a single shot encore makes you make the first shot count. Got to be quick to get a double.
As far as ARs go to each his own.

Posts: 275 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Grizz
Member # 4626

Icon 1 posted March 21, 2018 06:00 PM      Profile for Grizz           Edit/Delete Post 
WTH Leonard? I thought you didn't like AR's. If I recall correctly you busted my balls severely over on the NPH site a few years back when I posted I had put one together for day lights. Rick [Big Grin]

-

[ March 22, 2018, 08:57 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
I don't hunt with the pack.

Posts: 95 | From: So Cal | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 21, 2018 06:11 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Rick, if I did and you remember that, I guess I owe you an apology for some unclear reason? I think it's been a lot longer than two years since I've been on that board? Anyway, whatever works for you is fine by me. But personally, I think, well who cares, right?

Good hunting. El Bee

PS Me? bust balls? Maybe I was drunk? That can't be it? I haven't been drunk since I got out of the Army.

edit: Rick, I was looking at your enormous photo right now and it seems to me that your Nightforce is mounted very high off the bore? That reminds me of another reason why I didn't care for mine. Because of the height, I had to either be zeroed at 50 or 100. and when zeroed at 50, 100 yard shots were difficult. And, when I was zeroed at 100, 50 yard shots were not as accurate as I would like. For daylights on coyotes, anyway. I put it away and haven't fired it in probably 20 years?

[ March 21, 2018, 06:20 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Grizz
Member # 4626

Icon 1 posted March 21, 2018 06:27 PM      Profile for Grizz           Edit/Delete Post 
Just kidding Leonard The eye relief and Cheek weld fit my fat head perfectly. Don't know why the photo posted so large. Still trying to learn how to use imgur now that photo bucket is not an option. Rick

--------------------
I don't hunt with the pack.

Posts: 95 | From: So Cal | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged
NeilA
Member # 6789

Icon 1 posted March 21, 2018 07:41 PM      Profile for NeilA   Email NeilA         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought your post sounded a little odd Leonard, but I’m new to the forum.

The local ranchers where we go in Montana have a real dislike for AR’s. Apparently years ago someone with an AR shot the hell out of a couple of fence posts, so now anyone with an AR is not real welcome, or actually welcome at all. Not many people around there and they have good memories. Sucks that it only takes one person with poor judgement to screw it up for so many.

Maybe someone with an AR will shoot some coyotes near those ranches- probably would change their perspective.

Haha, that picture made my screen real tiny.

[ March 21, 2018, 07:55 PM: Message edited by: NeilA ]

Posts: 28 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2018  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted March 22, 2018 04:01 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
I hate AR's too, can't hit a dang thing with them.
 -
Grizz, on imgur, down at the bottom of the links, choose large thumbnail instead of really freakin huge thumbnail.

Oh and what's with the dogs and yote slang? A few years ago some of y'all would've blown a gasket.

And on the 50 and 100 sight in, the 223/5.56 setup on an AR is able to sight in at 100 yards, then the bullet never crosses over the line of sight. You start out at 2.7" low at the muzzle, .5 low at 50, dead on at 100 and about 2" low at 200.

Sight in at 50, 1.5" high at 100, on at 200 and 9" low at 300.

So easy an okie can do it.

But I hate AR's

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted March 22, 2018 04:23 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
That's how I have mine zeroed. 1.5" high at 100.

Been having too much fun with it. One of the just plain most "fun" guns I've ever messed with.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
NeilA
Member # 6789

Icon 1 posted March 22, 2018 07:13 AM      Profile for NeilA   Email NeilA         Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking, probably one major benefit of AR’s is that you don’t need a gunsmith to fix them or swap out parts. Not many gunsmiths around here, and the ones left are always real busy.

I have a 300 Blackout AR pistol with a red dot, and another .223 HB that I just bought. My 9yo son is enamored with AR’s, so I’ll take them and him to the range shooting whenever we can.

I have the most fun with the .300 pistol with the red dot, I can usually do one ragged hole at 50,

Posts: 28 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2018  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 22, 2018 08:29 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I apologize for my attitude towards the black machine gun. I'm not into fun recreational shooting. I must be missing something.

But, I'm not alone. Lots of commie Liberals out there that hate AR's and Liberals being Liberals, they are keen on spoiling your "fun".

There is no doubt that the platform is quite a bit better ergonomically, compared to a Mini 14 or Mini 30. Maybe it's the wood, but those POS rifles don't strike fear in the heart of your average "open minded Progressive". Don't worry, there ain't no such thing as an open minded Liberal.

So, in spite of Second Amendment protections, we may well lose something virtually priceless. Our guns, because those darn "fun rifles" don't impress our friends on the Left as much as they do we reasonable people.

Since they don't know and don't wanna know, all full semi auto machine guns could be confiscated, because; if it saves just one more life!

Don't say I didn't warn ya.
signed: CHICKEN LITTLE BOSKI

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted March 22, 2018 09:08 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Here ya go LB.
https://www.infowars.com/oregon-initiative-requires-gun-owners-to-surrender-assault-weapons/

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted March 22, 2018 09:18 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Molon Labe

--------------------

Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted March 22, 2018 09:28 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL check this out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg2WnSz2l9o

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters