The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Q (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Q
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted March 15, 2018 04:17 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty that is a sweet floater I have seen many on the rapids of the upper Salt river very stable platform ! Leonard
leave my friend alone !

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted March 15, 2018 06:44 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I didn't get cited....just warned.
It still pisses me off, though.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 15, 2018 07:59 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
We are sure relieved to know that!

Paul, if I can't poke at ko ko once in a while, life has lost all meaning! And, it really has! I looked at new trucks yesterday. How can I consider $50,000 for a fucking truck with a straight face? My first truck was a Datsun, in 1969 brand new, $1,830. I drove the wheels off that truck, and it went places vehicles were not meant to go. I traded that truck for a 1975 International 3/4 ton. The last year they made them. I say this without fear of contradiction; a total piece of shit and I traded it in on a sports car, which I still own, BTW.

Anyway, what's new in your Forum, Paul?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31463 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted March 15, 2018 11:01 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Dunno its dark in here !

--------------------

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted March 15, 2018 11:03 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
IH pick ups were pure crap ! What kinda sports car ?

--------------------

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted March 15, 2018 02:08 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing quite like looking at a truck that costs more than your first house. [Eek!]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted March 18, 2018 03:25 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
I repeat what kinda sports car? C'mon Leonard I'm a car nut , actually anything with an engine nut

[ March 18, 2018, 03:27 AM: Message edited by: Paul Melching ]

--------------------

DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted March 18, 2018 04:16 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
$50K, must have been a V6 with cloth seats and no floor mats [Big Grin] .

No, not quite that bad, yet. But a nicely optioned diesel 4x4 is going for closer to $80k these days. Buddy just bought a Super Duty brand new one, think he was $79K out the door. Could have broke $80K if he'd checked off just one more option box I'm sure.

My little half ton I bought five years ago, was $48K out the door.

I'll live to see six figure pickup trucks rolling around the parking lot at the mall.

The good news, is you can take one off the lot these days with 450HP, over 900 ft/lb of torque, in pure stock fully warrantied form. Pretty cool, that way...

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted March 18, 2018 05:21 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
A Toyota Land Cruiser will run you
80k and its turned into a pos luxury car !

--------------------

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted March 18, 2018 06:44 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa, whoa, whoa there Paul!

Yes, $80 for a new 200 series Cruiser. But, POS? I don't think so...

Guy I wheel with a lot, owns a shop that does nothing but build Toyotas for offroad use. He travels the world doing big time offroad stuff. Google "Expeditions 7" or "Expedition Overland" for an example of the stuff he does. Cruisers are his specialty. He drives a 200 series these days and I've been with him and seen what it can do. It's a damn capable rig. Damn capable. He takes it places FJ Cruisers dare not tread. Does it in style, too.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted March 18, 2018 07:03 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Just luxury overload for me , never been close to stuck in My little turd. I don't have the money to play in that arena but pretty sure leather seats would not be involved even if I could. I had a Yukon Denali back when I could work and afford such,
$1,200.00 for a shock still shaking my head !
I'm sure they are quite capable Dave you are more in touch with the off road scene than I. I just don't get why every time there is a great platform it turns into a luxury car. my old Cj -5 would not recognize a Jeep today guess I'm just a retro grouch . LOL

--------------------

NeilA
Knows what it's all about
Member # 6789

Icon 1 posted March 18, 2018 08:28 AM      Profile for NeilA   Email NeilA         Edit/Delete Post 
I would have a hard time taking an expensive vehicle very Far off the road. Hell, I’d have a hard time with paying the insurance premium on an expensive rig, as well as driving it into some of the ranches we shoot.

I have a 1976 Scout for off road, used to have a 2001 Wrangler as well.

Posts: 28 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2018  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted March 18, 2018 08:38 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Went to the websites nice equipment but may prove my point just how much does it cost to make an 80k cruiser with illuminated running boards off road capable ? Just kidding very high end builds they do some incredible work !

--------------------

Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted March 18, 2018 09:19 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
lol I watch this stuff all the time...you know, I watch more you tube than tv anymore.
Mark
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy0tG9gMM7g

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted March 18, 2018 09:32 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
I just can’t see spending that much money on a truck/off road vehicle. I’ve owned exactly 2 trucks in the last 30 years. Both have been used a lot in both miles and off road beating. The first a 1989 Mazda 4x4 pickup I bought new for around $13,000 that I put almost 300,000 miles on and beat the hell out of. In 2010 I got rid of it and bought a used 2005 Nissan Titan 4x4 that had 50,000 miles for $18,000 I have had this truck for 8 years and it is closing in on 200,000 miles. Again it had been used ALOT. So that’s $31,000 dollars for 2 trucks that have lasted almost 30 years and 500,000 miles.

Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted March 18, 2018 09:44 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Range Rovers in Moab..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUGOgF4UgsY

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 18, 2018 10:50 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, on the subject of customizing vehicles for off road. I'm a little conflicted because of my purpose in getting into the back country. I think "getting air" is total bullshit. I want to get in a not walk out of course, but even being careful, I trashed a nice camera that wasn't secured as well as it should have been. Rifles are another thing. I think being careful and taking your time is better than the glory of actually making it down some damned near unpassable trail. And, another thing, if I need to engage 4 wheel drive, I really don't think I have any business in there.

Why? Because the focus becomes the challenge of the road and that's not my purpose. All I want to do is hunt remote areas, not get there for the sake of being able to say I did it. I think there is a lot of hunting gear that I don't want to lock away in padded compartments so that I can drive 30 miles an hour and put needless strain on my vehicle.

Now, I know we have a few dedicated offroaders but from my perspective, some of these guys just get a thrill breaking a driveshaft. It's never been my intent to destroy my transportation while gaining access. Yes, there are a few modifications that are worthwhile, but I'm still crawling, not getting my rocks off with the "air" thing.

Anyway, I have stuff in my vehicle that is not bolted to the floor and can get jostled around and damaged. Traversing some of the legendary jeep trails is why they are there. I'm there to hunt not test the environment and my skills. Maybe some day?

Then too, tearing up a roadbed is just wrong. It's bad enough being closed out of BLM because of the fear of erosion and damage, but I think being careful and not leaving 8 inch deep tracks in what was a decent trail is a cause for concern especially if you don't need to be there, like a bunch...well, I don't want to alienate anybody, live and let live. [Smile]

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

NeilA
Knows what it's all about
Member # 6789

Icon 1 posted March 18, 2018 12:52 PM      Profile for NeilA   Email NeilA         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually now a days, the Scout and Jeeps around here are not used much and probably will be for sale this spring some time.
I and several friends have Polaris RZR’s. I have an ‘09 that can fit in the bed of a 3/4 ton. Friends have newer 1000’s ? anyway, the wider, big suspension ones. They aren’t cheap, but we really enjoy them.

Posts: 28 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2018  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted March 18, 2018 08:47 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,

Yes I'm working on calls again, haven't finished any yet though.

Paul,

Yeah I definitely have days where I miss "the west" but it's not so bad if you stay away from civilization, here, which can be done but you have to work at it.

Krusty

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
NVWalt
Does not claim to be overly bright!
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted March 19, 2018 02:59 AM      Profile for NVWalt           Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty, I moved to Tennessee last year and it is the same story as far as coyote hunting goes. Stupidist regulations I ever read. Good thing there is lots of water here. Looks like I get back into fishing again big time. Do miss the open spaces and no people. And coyotes.

--------------------
Support Communism and help destroy the United States of America ! VOTE DEMOCRAT. "In the end, they aren't coming after me. They are coming after you!" D.Trump

Posts: 636 | From: Tellico Plains, TN | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted March 19, 2018 04:36 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, I've only wheeled my 100 series Land Cruiser a couple of times, a lot of dirt roads, but almost never really put it in anything difficult. It's bone stock, nothing ever modified, but it has really surprised me the couple of times it's need to get over something. It does have the factory hydraulic suspension though, can raise it a couple inches with the push of a button, or firm up the ride or make it soft or whatever. That being able to raise it a couple inches is all that saved me a long walk from a mud hole once.

One of the best rigs I have ever driven for icy, snowy, slippery roads. And I have driven a LOT of rigs from Subarus to Range Rovers and lots in between. Just amazingly sure footed. Some of the best brakes I've ever used, too. That sucker STOPS when you want it to. Amazing how well it stops, considering what a heavy vehicle it actually is, being body on frame and all that.

The reliability of them is legendary, of course. Toyota over built the crap out of these things. And everything on it, every system, is engineered to be serviced.

Very expensive, absolutely, but hold their resale like crazy, too. Used ones go for stupid money.

They are really pretty awesome vehicles.

It's been my daily driver/grocery getter for about 8 years. I'll be giving it to my daughter when she turns 16 here in a couple of months though. Should be a super reliable, very safe vehicle for her.

- DAA

--------------------

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted March 19, 2018 05:30 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
My Tahoe Was good off road my Yukon Denali not so much. But the Denali was the best on ice and loose stuff the suspension monitored the road surface automatically I bought it for my wife and for pulling our boat it handled all of that well. we have a friend with a late 80's Land cruiser had almost 400k 0n the odo we she spent 12k for a new motor , she liked it a lot.

--------------------

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted March 19, 2018 05:41 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife drives a Denali. She loves it. And it has been a really good vehicle for us, never a problem. But yeah, it's AWD, no low range, no center diff lock - technically, it ain't even a 4x4. Really good on slippery road, not as good as the Cruiser, but still really good. Tows dang good with that 6.0 and 480LE and a heavier payload rating than my Ram 1500.. But not meant for offroad use by ANY means!

- DAA

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 19, 2018 09:25 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
One of the things I became aware of, besides the insane cost of new trucks.

Nissan's Titan has a kind of beefed up half ton that is offered with a Cummins Diesel. The explanation I got from the agencies fleet sales dealer is that although Dodge has an exclusive agreement with Cummins, it's for 3/4 and one ton vehicles.

There's no logic behind ones preferences, but just like Ford/Chevy, I've just never been more than lukewarm to Toyotas.

By the way, for Paul, it's a Champaign Gold 1977 280Z. I bought it new for Nancy. Believe it or not, it hasn't moved in 13 years, since she died, but I have at least three grandchildren that would love to have it, probably all of them, but 3 vocal.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted March 20, 2018 03:42 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Leonard the suspenders were killing me very nice sports cars, really bad for them to sit !

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters