The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Eggs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eggs
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted February 17, 2018 06:59 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody eat farm eggs or organic from the store ?

I noticed @ Wallymart the other day organic eggs were $3.28 a dozen I believe ? Albertsons was in the $4.00 area ?

We bought nine chicks last spring eight survived now they are all up & running. I'm getting 5-6 eggs daily. My cost is around 20 cents an egg. It was more before of course. I feed them laying feed not the cheap scratch stuff.

I now see why eggs cost more than the generic four dozen for $5.00 bucks on sale eggs.

I can tell the difference they taste better, shells are thicker, harder to crack. They stay together better in the pan when frying them up.

Might be worth the extra money for some ? I have a whole new perspective on eggs now.

[ February 17, 2018, 07:01 PM: Message edited by: Dave Allen ]

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bryan J
Cap and Trade Weenie
Member # 106

Icon 1 posted February 17, 2018 09:36 PM      Profile for Bryan J   Email Bryan J         Edit/Delete Post 
We have had our birds for around 12 years. We rotate the old hens out after a few years or when production becomes unacceptable. I mix my own feed if I pay myself for my corn I'm at around $16 CTW. Haven't got it figured down to the per egg costs. It is something my boys can take care of. I can sure tell when they are not keeping up in the winter. Everything is better fresh off the farm.
Posts: 599 | From: Utah | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
NVWalt
Knows what it's all about
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted February 18, 2018 02:27 AM      Profile for NVWalt           Edit/Delete Post 
Fresh eggs really are the best .In fact vegies are also.Taste the differance in tomatoes for an easy example. No comparison to China-mart or chain store grocery maters. and that's just a start. I like duck eggs for baking.And on and on and on!

--------------------
Idiocracy. Started as a comedy and is now a documentary about the U.S.

Posts: 621 | From: Tellico Plains, TN | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
JP
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4095

Icon 1 posted February 18, 2018 07:23 AM      Profile for JP           Edit/Delete Post 
Grandson raises chickens (free range) and goats as a 4H project. Gets $5 a dozen and has more customers than he can handle. Has upwards of seventy-five hens and about five very happy roosters.

[ February 18, 2018, 07:24 AM: Message edited by: JP ]

Posts: 150 | From: So AZ | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted February 18, 2018 07:43 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
I get fresh eggs from a neighbor free range organic and all that crap yolks are damned near orange the flavor is incredible no comparison to store bought.
Going to do a green house this year miss the garden I could grow down south ! Maybe get a few hens.

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 18, 2018 08:52 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Who knew?

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31277 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2018 06:53 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
From before I was born until I was about 30 years old, my grandmother had a chicken coop full of laying hens. Never had to buy eggs and never wanted to. Learned early on that the sign of a good quality egg is a tiny piece of bedding straw stuck to the outside of the shell by a small smear of chicken shit. Miss those chickens. And, Grandma.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2018 06:59 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Just gathered several of those eggs. 18 degrees with 30-40 MPH winds.

Can you say. Brrrrr

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2018 09:34 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know squat about raising chickens but just watched a segment on one of the home renovation shows where a guy built a chicken run from the coop, around his garden, and back to the coop again.
He said that the grasshoppers didn't stand a chance & it kept other critters out.
Seemed like a kinda cool idea.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7489 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2018 08:53 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
So, 'splain a ceramic or marble egg in the nest box?

Top quality means looking for a chickenshit smear? I guess I can buy that? I do wonder if the commercial operations clean their eggs somehow and how sanitary the shells are, so I don't suck my fingers when frying eggs. These days, probably mothers get reported unless they are wearing, not latex, what's that blue glove? Coming to your town; thanks, Liberals!

In high school, I used to help my buddy after school. He had 600 chickens, (oh, the horror) in cages! We would take them to the dairy on Saturdays. One thing, he candled all his eggs and graded them, sold the jumbos at the house, but also took a 5 gal. bucket with cracked eggs and they gave us a few bucks. But I always wondered what they did with a bucket full of cracked eggs? Disclosure, not anywhere near full.

We had a guy come in and haul off stacks of chickenshit built up under the cages, nothing wasted. And, don't forget to turn the dial on the front of the cage! I think his birds needed to produce 3 eggs a week, or else!

When I just got out of the hospital, my daughter had bought some extra large eggs, I never do. I always meant to ask her if it was by mistake? But, just about every one of those eggs had a double yolk. I wonder why people buy those extra large eggs? Is it for double yolks, or is it because one ain't enough and two is too much?

Did you know that there are acres of marigolds grown up around Santa Barbara and the purpose is seeds for chicken feed which makes the yolks an orangish color rather than a pale yellow? Yum!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31277 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2018 12:57 PM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone talks about cage free eggs, and free range eggs...hell, that was how I grew up! My job was gathering the eggs daily and cleaning the chicken house once a week. Hated them chickens with a passion!

We used straw as bedding, and I toted the crap and straw out to a pile with a wheelbarrow. Dad then used the tractor to spread said crap and straw on the garden to use for fertilizer.

Chickens have to be the dumbest animal on the face of the earth..you have heard of 'herding cats'? Well, chickens are about as bad.

The one thing I do miss is fresh fried chicken. One has not lived until you have a chicken that was alive in the morning, and then on your plate in the evening with mashed potatoes, corn and gravy!

Even when we butchered chickens nothing went to waste. My dad got the innards for his catfish bait, and my grandma made the best pillows out of the feathers!

Kinda funny...our backyard resembled something out of Braveheart battlefield on butchering day...the buffalo grass as stained with chicken blood and chicken carcasses after we cut their heads off and let them 'flop out'!

[ February 20, 2018, 12:59 PM: Message edited by: booger ]

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2018 04:28 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
As a younger man I had a couple of truck farms organic veggies for the hippie stores dairy goats for my family and chickens for eggs and meat Yessir bogger nuthin better than a fresh chicken !

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters