The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Dodgers-R.I.P.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dodgers-R.I.P.
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 13 posted November 02, 2017 08:21 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been a fan of the last honest game in town, BASEBALL, for many years. This World Series was such a disappointment, it's hard to believe.

The players let me down, swinging from the heels at balls in the dirt and standing with the bat on their shoulders on a pitch straight down the middle. WTF!

But, if there is any justice, the Manager, Dave Roberts will be fired for the poorest job in memory. I could take issue with many situations in every game. The guy just did the wrong thing, time after time. It's all on him for a poor job of motivating his team.

I know a lot of you people don't give a shit about professional sports, (and I don't blame you) but there are many of us regular citizens that do.

That's all I got to say. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted November 02, 2017 08:50 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Tommy Lasorda isn't the Manager any more ???

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted November 02, 2017 10:01 AM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't watch but I heard or read several times that this was one of the best world series in a long time. Almost made me feel like I missed witnessing something special, and then I read this.
So was it epic, or NOT? Sounds like Not..so now I don't feel so bad for missing it. [Smile]

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 02, 2017 10:10 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
No, you misunderstand. It was a great Series.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/a-series-for-the-agesagain/article/2010310

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted November 03, 2017 06:02 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
I am a baseball nut, but I didn't watch much.

Sports Illustrated actually had a headline several years ago that predicted an Astros win by 2017.

Lasorda made a comment that if the Dodgers didn't win, he was going to kill himself.

I think it was a major blunder to NOT start Kershaw in Game 7. I think the outcome might have been different.

Darvish just didn't have his stuff...I think the managers get so hung up on sticking to who is in the rotation, they don't look at the big picture. From what I saw of the replays, Kershaw was dead nuts on in relief.

Kind of like when my Royals were playing in the Series against the SF Giants in 2014, and they had to go against their ace, Bumgarner, in relief.

Baseball to me is still the All-American sport, I love the strategy and they all still stand for the National Anthem!

[ November 03, 2017, 06:04 AM: Message edited by: booger ]

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Moe
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted November 03, 2017 06:18 AM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
I was pretty disappointed with the Dodgers loss. I blame it on the choice of pitcher for starting game 7 and then leaving him in for so long when it was obvious he wasn't performing.

I've been a basketball fan all of my life. I played in high school and in college and loved watching the Celtics over the years. I guess that's because I lived in Boston a couple of times when I was pretty young. The NBA isn't the same any more. They ruined the game for me and with the players dissing the country they can have it.

When I lived in the LA area one of the Doheny family would let us use their box seats at Dodger Stadium when they weren't using them which was frequent. Parking back then was a dollar so we got to go to the games for a buck. We became rabid Dodger fans.

--------------------
I snatch kisses. And vice versa.

Posts: 593 | From: Oregon | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted November 03, 2017 07:01 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
Moe,
Professional sports have priced themselves out of the market for most of us poor saps.

When I was in college in the early 80's, a buddy and I went to a 4 game series in Kansas City. My ticket cost for 4 games was $32.00, and we had good seats along the first base line.

Parking was $3.00 a game. I can't even imagine how much tix cost now, and I think if my wife and I wanted to go to a Chiefs game in KC, it would be north of $300 by the time we were done with tickets and parking.

I stopped watching the NFL last month. I can't imagine how all of the 1,600 plus NFL players that are in the richest 1% in THE WORLD, can piss and moan about being oppressed...beyond my comprehension.

[ November 03, 2017, 07:04 AM: Message edited by: booger ]

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 03, 2017 07:15 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Baseball to me is still the All-American sport, I love the strategy and they all still stand for the National Anthem!
Here's the thing. Lots of people have great ideas to improve the game. Most of their ideas involve speeding up the game. After all, it is the only sport without a time limit. But, never forget, these people with ideas and suggestions for improving the game of baseball actually HATE the sport! Why in the hell should we take seriously the suggestions to speed up the game? The catcher, and or the manager can't go to the mound without the umpire tagging along and shooing him back behind the plate. Even bright ideas like not circling the bases on a home run....in the interests of speeding up the game, always speeding up the game!

They even experimented with putting a runner on second base, for some obscure reason? None of these people can quote the Infield Fly Rule. I say, keep your hate out of baseball, you are never going to love it no matter what is done to IMPROVE the game. It's an honorable game, leave it alone and somehow, find a way to get rid of the "Designated Batter" in the American League! That's been a loser from day one!

Good hunting. El Bee

[ November 03, 2017, 07:18 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Moe
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted November 04, 2017 11:43 AM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
I recently read an article about speeding up the game in National Review Online. I agree with you 100% on this one, LB.

Maybe these asswipes only want the NBA to play the 4th quarter since that's where the game is won or lost, right? How about cutting baseball to 5 innings?

I don't watch sports to hurry up and have a good time. I enjoy seeing the athleticism of the players and the outstanding plays throughout the game.

One time I went to a Celtics game in the old Boston Garden. Boston had not lost a single game in the Garden all season and this game with the Pistons was the final regular season game. At the end of the 3rd quarter Boston was down 21 points. In the 4th quarter I watched Larry Bird take over the game making steals, blocks, fabulous passes and sinking shots like nobodies business. At the end of the 4th quarter they were tied causing an overtime then another overtime and another and another. At the end of the 4th overtime Boston won the game. It was after 1:00 am when we got out of the Garden and I had a 2 1/2 hour drive home to Vermont. It was the greatest performance by a basketball player I'd ever seen and we all sure got our moneys worth.

You're certainly right about the people who complain. I was just reading an article about McDonald's People wanting them to change their menu. These people don't even eat at McDonald's. The biggest gripe is that McDonald's has some animal fat in the oil they cook their french fries in. I have a great solution. Don't eat their damned french fries and leave the rest of us alone.

I've seen articles that say McDonald's is suffering because people won't eat there any more. BS. Every McDonald's I see is always packed.

--------------------
I snatch kisses. And vice versa.

Posts: 593 | From: Oregon | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted November 04, 2017 12:31 PM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
I stopped Mlb Nfl Nba at the first strike of each when these overpaid babies started crying. Still enjoy a good Hockey game !

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 04, 2017 02:41 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
WHAT? Those sissies wear a helmut now! And, they have all their front teeth!

I don't know? Maybe you better stop watching fake hockey, as well? [Smile]

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted November 05, 2017 06:37 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Those front teeth are just a partial !

--------------------

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
JP
Member # 4095

Icon 1 posted November 05, 2017 04:06 PM      Profile for JP           Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't watched a MLB game since they went on strike in 94 and canceled the world series, have not watched a NFL game this season don't believe I'm missing a damn thing.
Posts: 150 | From: So AZ | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted November 05, 2017 10:32 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll match you JP and raise you one; I played baseball from pee wee ball, little league, senior league and HS ball, was a pitcher thru it all. Ive never watched a ball game or world series in my life, nor a super bowl game, simply no interest in sports?
I have on occasion sat down and watched professional golf, for some reason I'm in awe of the skill in that game....reminds me of the shooting discipline.

Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted November 06, 2017 06:17 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with you Vic Watched a little golf till Tiger tripped over his dick. No time to sit on my ass in front of the boob tube except when Steve McQueen is on in Wanted Dead or Alive ! Or Dale Robertson in Tale of Wells Fargo . Just an old fart !

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 06, 2017 11:43 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a modest amount of instruction from Gary Player's son when I had some interest in golf. We don't hear much from him, as I think he mainly played on the European tour for a while, and coached. One thing he said that impressed me, or stuck with me, whatever? He said that golf is the most difficult game or sport in existence. When you stop to ponder it, I'm sure he is right. Doesn't mean I will ever drift that way again, but profound, nonetheless. I just decided that golf required more of my time than I was willing to give it, so I promptly sold everything, walked away and have no regrets.

However, if I ever (?) move to Arizona, I just might get back in there. Should I ever move to Oahu, there would be zero chance, since green fees, as we all know, are insane!

I actually grew up playing golf. Hiawatha Golf Course in Minneapolis was a block from my house. It was just about my sole source of income finding lost balls and selling them to the players and occasionally caddying. It's seasonal, of course, this being Minnesota.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters