The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Anybody hunting ? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Anybody hunting ?
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted October 31, 2017 04:08 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
In the interest of this not turning into the geezer board . I went calling for a couple of hours the other day Saw coyote scat everywhere
Only did four stands no coyotes but nine or ten fox And one bobcat , did not shoot anything , not worth skinning yet. One coyote crossed the road on my way back
he was in sixth gear. Ill get more serious as the fur primes.

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted October 31, 2017 04:51 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Fur has been full prime and as good as it's gonna get for a couple weeks here. I haven't been able to get out lately though. Might be another week or two before I'll have time again.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted October 31, 2017 05:10 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
My buddy Chad shot a decent 5x5 bull on our elk hunt. I didn't see a bull big enough to shoot, so been sippin' tag soup & it tastes like shit...

Got up to the farm & quickly avenged myself on the 1st evening stand. Had a big male come steamrollin' in just @ dusk & smoked it with the .17Predator:
 -

Made a night stand with my tripod LED torch gizmo, and a gorgrous grey fox obliged:
 -

Still, got a hankerin' for some thermal shit to try! Had at least one coyote appear to "spook" soon as the red LED hit his eyeballs. That pissed me right the fuck off!
FLIR's new PTS233 looks interesting, but has been slow to market. Pulsar has a proven unit that's a couple hundred cheaper that'd work well, either as a scanner or gun mounted scope. Just sittin' on my hands awhile pondering a buy...

Bucks are just startin' to feel their oats here. Watched a 1.5yr old and 2.5yr old 8pt sparrin' a bit on Saturday evening, so they're not quite in kick-azz mode...yet.

edit: to re-size pics

[ October 31, 2017, 05:14 AM: Message edited by: knockemdown ]

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted October 31, 2017 05:21 AM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
I went to Wyo. this past weekend and hunted two 1/2 days with a group of guys. We killed 71. Skinned a few and found some blue on a few still. BUT, this coming weekend, if the wind don't blow, I'm going to get after em hard on my home turf.

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted October 31, 2017 07:18 AM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm counting the days. Still over a month away till I'm back in coyote country. I'm sure the cream will have been skimmed off all my areas, but will feel good to be back in the desert and out hunting again.
You old fucks keep at it, and post a few pics to keep those of us not yet able to get out, entertained!

Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 31, 2017 07:20 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Something I have always noticed, is a coyote will not tolerate a laser anywhere, not just in the eyes. Not noticed the same reaction with cats and fox?

Kinda surprising, what the fur condition is in Wyoming, right now? Then DAA says they are prime in (ahem) Utah? That's another thing. From blue to prime is such a short window and I don't recall a situation where some were good and some were not? They are either good, or not.

But, we are a month+ past prime in northern Nevada, if this Geezer recalls, accurately? I always regarded Wyoming as a cold place, but I never hunted anything but the western part. The wind, as everybody knows, that's the problem! Not only does it move impact point uncertainty, but your sound doesn't get out there where you need it.

Congratulations to those that persevere. I'm with you in spirit. Oh, and I'm gone a week now without the girdle. That has rewards and penalties.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted October 31, 2017 07:33 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
Guess I am beginning to resemble the geezer comment! Wow, TR…71 coyotes in less than 3 days of hunting, that is spectacular!

That is a good looking, coyote, Fred!

I hope to be released by my back doctor by Thanksgiving…after that, I am not sure how much I can be in field this year. I may have to forgo the calling season to heal up properly.

Right now, my wife is working full time, doing all of the housework, doing all of the yardwork, and puts my shoes and socks on every morning!

I also have 3 buddies that indicated they will gut, skin and cut up my deer this year…all I have to do is pull the trigger…sounds like I am one of luckiest guys alive, but let me tell you, I sure wish I could do it myself!!
[Wink]

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted October 31, 2017 08:21 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Doing some whacking and stacking myself with coyotes, hopefully will get to do some cat calling here pretty soon.
Been coyote hunting all summer, then shot a small buck during bow season in August, ol recurve zipped an arrow straight on thru em, long story, but lets just say a landowner ended up with the deer. Im still bitter. Didnt even go rifle hunting when it opened after that. Went straight back to coyote hunting.

Mark
Edit: Fuck these deer.

[ October 31, 2017, 08:22 AM: Message edited by: Lone Howl ]

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted October 31, 2017 08:42 AM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, like I told a guy in Wyo. who asked what we were hunting, elk or deer, I told him, "elk and deer are over rated". Sounds like you'd agree. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 31, 2017 10:02 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trying to remember the last deer I killed and where it was? I think Utah? And I think it must have been over five years ago? Yeah, overrated. Of course, I haven't killed a really big buck in quite a while, that can be kinda a big deal.

Good hunting. El Bee

Land owners. I still recall the time in Colorado when I slid into a ditch on a curve, couldn't control the truck worth a shit and I'm usually a pretty good driver in those conditions.

Anyway, while we were struggling, these four guys came by and shortened our predicament by a lot since they had two vehicles and 2 winches and helped keeping the back end from getting worse than it already was.

So, we thanked them. They had Colorado plates and offered advice that maybe we shouldn't be out in these conditions. Had to bite my tongue. I've got more time in grade driving that type of conditions than the next guy, that's for sure.

So, they asked. And we told them we saw a real nice buck the day before and they were very interested so we got out the Forest Service maps, maybe they were USGS? But, we indicated the exact spot where we saw that buck and specified that there were white areas where he was headed which were private land.

WE went other places that morning and the weather stayed snowy and poor visibility for several hours, at least 4, maybe longer when we wound up on the road where we told those guys about the big buck. And right there, exactly the same spot was a big party going on. These two vehicles plus the land owner on the left side, (bottom land) and the local sheriff. Oh, and they had three dead deer.

We asked what was going on and one of the guys admitted that they hunted that guys property on the left side where we specifically told them that it was private land.

Anyway, the land owner got the deer and the hunters were all written up for a trespassing fine, I think they said it was something like 200/300 dollars?

And they were giving us advice. I usually watch my p's and q's very carefully, always mindful of the fact that a California plate is a big negative just about anywhere we go.

end of rant-

[ October 31, 2017, 11:02 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted October 31, 2017 10:40 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Went on my annual deer, bear & turkey hunt with the recurve this last Aug. in the Wallow Fire burn area. The vegetation is recovering nicely. Lots of green stuff for the herbivores to herbivate on.
Sadly, deer numbers are down. Way down.
Wolves, on the other hand, we have.
Fat happy wolves. [Mad]

Doing some scouting and poking around for coyotes.
A couple of more weeks and the fur should be sale-able.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted October 31, 2017 12:29 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine just happened to die on private, as it went for a little ways and jumped a small fence, onto it. I did not realize how close I was to it because of the crazy terrain that I backpacked into to get to the area, and stayed for a couple nights, because these fucking people like to cut off convenient access.
You cant recover game on private without permission...long story short..again (cause it pains me to re hash the event in my mind) came back with a authority and deer was gone and sort of end of story.
Edit: I should have been paying attention to my OnX map on my gps.

Mark

[ October 31, 2017, 12:31 PM: Message edited by: Lone Howl ]

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted October 31, 2017 12:33 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
I have always said, any deer that don't end up as coyote turds are just going to waste.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted October 31, 2017 12:37 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
And just to commiserate with Mark...

Second biggest buck I have ever killed, same story. Shot him with my bow, he made it just far enough to die on private ground with no chance of permission for recovery.

Could have and should have just waited for dark and gone over the fucking fence and collected my fucking deer. Stupid me went down and asked permission though.

First and LAST time I EVER ask permission to do a single fucking thing to do with hunting.

Want to talk over rated? Private Land. I sure don't need it. Kill more coyotes than just about anyone else I know around here and do it all on 100% public ground and during the day without losing any sleep.

- DAA

--------------------

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted October 31, 2017 01:00 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Went out West a couple weeks ago on a three day Coyote Hunt nothing really note worthy but my brother and I did manage to kill 21 Coyotes. It’s just nice to get away now and again......

Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted October 31, 2017 01:04 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
I would really like to get out more this year but work has kept me pretty busy, hoping things start to slow down a bit so I can get out some more....
Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted October 31, 2017 01:22 PM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Great stuff all this is just what I was hoping for !

--------------------

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 31, 2017 01:50 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I haven't endured the trials and tribulations of being a land owner in decent hunting areas, BUT.

I would call the cops, in a situation like I described, where those guys knew exactly what they were doing and knew they were trespassing on private property.

As far as what Mark and Dave told us about; those land owner folks were just being total DICKS! A deer runs off and dies on private property, and if it was my property and these honest gentlemen asked permission, I would grant it and help them, while I'm at it. But... I'm not a prick, so that explains my attitude. On the other hand, I have not dealt with trespassers and poachers so they have a valid point of view. But, an intelligent land owner should be able to tell the difference.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted November 01, 2017 04:56 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
In the Great state of Arizona you may trespass hunt and trap on private property unless it is posted at each corner and every quarter mile the signs must state no hunting trapping etc., and list the statute numbers at the bottom of the sign.
If not on public land footholds are legal and cage traps are not necessary. Did I mention I love this state. using ON x Hunt app on my phone it gives you the info for where you are and the land owners name so you know if you are on public or private property.

--------------------

knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted November 01, 2017 05:30 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Holey shit guys...21 & 71 coyotes in a few days time? Incredible!!!
I hear ya bout big game. Even fresh off a cool elk hunt, there's no compare to calling a coyote! Man it was all I could do not to shoot the few coyotes I happened across while elk hunting...

We did glass a nice 6x6 down low while scouting, but that small herd was within a click of private on 3 sides. Just didn't seem worth the potential hassle or having one run of & tip over on private. Oh well...

As an aside, my buds had a lion encounter on our last day! Turned into a 30 minute stare down @ 50-60 yds...the lion was in no rush to leave!!! Sorta reminded me of Dave's crazy story, but not quite to that level of butt puckerin'. Needless to say, both got a real thrill out of seeing a big cat in the wild!!!

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted November 01, 2017 06:59 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
This is what this board is about I love this shit cool stories all. great post Fred I love calling lions, we have no shortage here in Az.

--------------------

Moe
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted November 01, 2017 08:43 AM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
The last deer I killed was a 4 point, western count, whitetail up in North Central Washington. My then girlfriend asked me to shoot it for her. She had a license and tags. About 20 minutes before killing that deer I filled my own tag with a big 5 point Whitetail.

I don't think deer are over rated mostly because I like good venison. Back when I hunted deer I never spent more than a couple of days at it. Fortunately I lived in places where I didn't have to.

In SE Alaska we were issued 4 deer tags and filling them was as easy as either flying or boating out from Juneau and watching the beach after the first snowfall. The deer run down to the beach and they're an easy mark since they have never seen a human before. You just shoot them.

When I lived in SoCal the deer I shot were usually while hunting coyotes. We'd see where the deer were feeding at night then return in the morning and hunt the nearby brush.

My biggest deer was killed near Hemet, CA. A big 6 point that came in on a morning daytime stand. A Mule Deer.

But I like hunting waterfowl and upland birds, too.

--------------------
I snatch kisses. And vice versa.

Posts: 593 | From: Oregon | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 01, 2017 10:30 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
A couple years ago, in eastern Arizona, I called in four mule deer, one spike. I was about ten feet this side of the barbwire and they came right up to the fence, a little to my right side because thats where the caller was. But, they came in fast and deliberate, the first sight I had when they came over the rise was a blocky gray color and was thinking lion for just a minute.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted November 01, 2017 11:54 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
I called in five muley does using a hand call they ran up to the bush I was tucked away in and were snorting and stomping their feet thought I was gonna get my ass kicked !

--------------------

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted November 01, 2017 01:25 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Paul;
Long long ago in a far-away land called Neva-Da I was driving thru the very posted Bottle Creek Ranch. (El Bee's probably been thru there, too)
Saw a coyote mousing out in a pasture and since I was pretty new to calling & the truck was mostly behind some brush I thought I'd blow the Crit-r Call just to see what would happen.
A couple of blasts and the coyote started towards me.
A couple of more blasts and a herd of antelope does showed up, spotted the coyote and ran an intercept course with fire in their eyes.
Coyote adjusted direction and almost ran into 6 mulie does coming in from another direction just as hot as the antelope.
The poor coyote didn't know whether to shit or go blind but it sure knew that it wanted to go somewhere. It may still be running to this day.
Finally noticed that the rancher had pulled up behind me to remind me that it was private property. We had a good laugh over the abused coyote and went our separate ways.
I don't remember if I killed anything on that trip or not but I'll remember that coyote with the antelope to the left and the mulies to the right for a long time.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters