The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » High strangeness

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: High strangeness
Grizz
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4626

Icon 1 posted September 28, 2017 08:50 PM      Profile for Grizz           Edit/Delete Post 
I've always found this topic interesting. What are some of the weird things some of you may have seen or encountered wilst out hunting either day or night. Rick

--------------------
I don't hunt with the pack.

Posts: 95 | From: So Cal | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted September 29, 2017 03:31 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing that I can think of.
One night on a lookout years ago was watching a green funnel thing turned out to be a rocket or something coming back from space off the coast of Calif.
Your mind can get you into a lot of trouble.
Had a guy talking about the Yeti's and I had to ride out of the Wilderness area alone. As I left Big Creek area climbing up the long hill something big and black moved in the shadows. It was a moose for a while I was believing the idiot about Yeti's. It was a very long day on horse back before I got to the truck and horse trailer with my dad waiting for me in the dark. Can't remember the time of night but I was getting very tired and so were the horses. They didn't balk at getting in the trailer(first time).

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted September 29, 2017 05:47 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
I was walking the road in front of my property and came to a large puddle that occurs after a good rain and persists for a few weeks along came a little garter snake into the water , I sat and watched for quite a while as he sniped pollywogs
Saw him there a few times on his fishing expeditions.

[ September 29, 2017, 05:48 AM: Message edited by: Paul Melching ]

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
NVWalt
Does not claim to be overly bright!
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted September 30, 2017 12:45 AM      Profile for NVWalt           Edit/Delete Post 
Just some of the yahoos I have taken out hunting.

--------------------
Support Communism and help destroy the United States of America ! VOTE DEMOCRAT. "In the end, they aren't coming after me. They are coming after you!" D.Trump

Posts: 636 | From: Tellico Plains, TN | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 30, 2017 05:48 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I was pruning my Sagos out front, there's 13 of them in a row and a hell of a lot of fronds. So, surprised me that a mantis jumped up and offered to spar with me. This guy was almost 4" long and beige. I took him in the house and deposited him on a big potted cactus next to the slider. He stayed there until the next day and disappeared. Two days later, I saw him on the back of a sofa on the other side of the room so I went over and talked to him for a bit. The next morning, there he was on the floor right next to where the slider opens, like he was waiting for me to open and let him get the hell out of here. So, I opened the slider and the screen and gave him a little encouragement to hop outside. He got a little snagged, one of his back feet was hung up so I helped him. Last I saw of him, this was yesterday, she probably wants to lay some eggs on a twig before keeling over. They are just about the most interesting insect around, I like 'em. The way they turn their head and look at you; they appear to be saying: "you got to be kidding!"

Paul's story made me think of it.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31459 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted October 02, 2017 11:02 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
The bow hunting bug hit me hard in the early 90’s, more so after I moved back to my home town of Russell, Kansas in 1991. The stick and string season starts earlier now, but opening day of bow season for deer used to start on October 1. Usually it doesn’t get to cold around here early, but that year, we had our first freeze in September, and I found myself walking in a half mile to my tree stand the first weekend of October, a couple of days after the season opener.

I was hunting next to the Smoky Hill River, and when I got out of my pickup, I think every coyote within a mile was sounding off. I had a quarter mile walk to an alfalfa field, and then another quarter mile trek to the end of that field to a funnel the deer used to get from their bed to the field to feed. My stand was just inside the trees about 20 yards from the edge of the west end of the field. It was zero dark thirty, and the moon was providing a bit of light, but it was still pretty dark.

One thing I used for a cover scent was a cotton ball tied on 18” of string tied on the back of each of my rubber boots. I used a very liberal does of coyote urine I got from a trapper buddy of mine. As I crossed the fence I turned around and started walking. I hadn’t gone 10 yards when out of pasture bordering the field, 4 big coyotes came out 15 yards in front of me and just stopped.

Needless to say, my heartbeat picked up just a bit…(read A LOT), and we had us a Mexican standoff for about 30 seconds. They never moved and neither did I. Finally, I just started walking real fast toward them and they didn’t run, but just trotted off about 30 yards and paralleled me the whole length of the field. I had nocked an arrow, just in case, but really didn’t know what I was going to do.

I had about a half a load in my shorts at this time. They broke off and headed towards the river as I hit the treeline. I breathed a huge sigh of relief, stepped into the grass bordering the field and trees and promptly stepped within about 2 feet of whitetail doe that was bedded. She exploded out of the bed, and I am just glad she didn't run me over!

That filled my shorts the rest of the way…I simply turned around, walked back to the truck and headed back home!

I told my buddy what happened, and he just laughed. Apparently the urine he used was collected from females in heat, so I was thinking that I was probably smelling awful pretty to those 4 coyotes!

[ October 02, 2017, 12:09 PM: Message edited by: booger ]

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Moe
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted October 02, 2017 02:48 PM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
Many years ago I and a friend were calling half way between LA and San Diego. We were in the thick brush hoping to call in a cat. Below us was a paved road. We heard two vehicles on that road and when they passed both had their headlights off. It was easy to see that one of the vehicles was a Border Patrol pickup.

We stopped calling and were just smoking and taking a break when we heard two gunshots. We thought someone else might be hunting so we got out of there.

By early morning we heard what had happened. Two guys had kidnapped a couple of Border Patrol agents. They drove to an abandoned shack and shot them both execution style. We'd heard the gunshots. If we'd known what was going down we might have been able to stop it. We were armed.

--------------------
I snatch kisses. And vice versa.

Posts: 593 | From: Oregon | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 03, 2017 08:14 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, today's the big day. My appointment is at 2:00.

So, I just heard from family up in Reno. I don't know if I want to live to be 95 in some instances, anyway.

This is what happened with my uncle Dick. He was out driving somewhere around town when he saw two people, man and woman, (and apparently) he thought they looked suspicious. In fact, he was sure they were ALIENS, as in, from outer space.

So he started following them. At some point, they became aware of some stranger following and paniced and started out of town, east towards the Black Rock Desert. Eventually, they called 911 and said some maniac was chasing them, they had run out of gas.

The police or Highway Patrol showed up and took him into custody. his two daughters have got him settled in a nice home. He's not too happy about that but that's the deal. He has a nice little stainless Walther 380 I'd like to have at some point. He used to carry it, don't know if he had it with him but it's likely. He's a WWII Vet, served in France and Germany. He's a good guy, hope things turn out okay for him.

Good Hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted October 03, 2017 10:33 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
GOOD LUCK, BIG GUY !!!!!

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7579 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 04, 2017 07:12 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, they did it. As usual, I was out like a light, next thing I knew, I'm in recovery and it's 10:30P.M.

I'll survive. Shelley's not here yet.

As usual, I have to straighten them out about my pain medications. Apparently, everything went pretty good? No huge incission and thry are talking three days now, not five. The major indication involves passing gas? Haven't seen any gas yet.

I was so dehydrated my veins were collapsed, had a hard to finding one for the IV. Naturally, that hurts! And I'm a pussy about needles.

Good Hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted October 04, 2017 07:34 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I think that I speak for everyone here and some not here in saying that's good news !!!!!

[Smile]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7579 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 04, 2017 10:52 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you. I'm feeling a little better, now it only hurts when I move. I'm finally peeing. My new cellular cut me off! apparently its prepaid? I'm not in the mood to deal with them but I'll probably get somebody else since there is no cotract. Fuck 'em!

It's T Mobil
Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted October 04, 2017 11:17 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
Great news! Get better soon!

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted October 04, 2017 01:22 PM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Go Leonard great news btw I got veins like ropes the phlebotomists
get down right giddy when they see me coming LOL

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted October 04, 2017 03:40 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome news Leonard. Thanks for the updates!

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
MI VHNTR
I'm not shaving 'til Obama's gone!
Member # 3370

Icon 1 posted October 04, 2017 05:56 PM      Profile for MI VHNTR   Email MI VHNTR         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the update. Get well!!

--------------------
The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting. It's about Freedom.

FJB Let's Go Brandon

Posts: 394 | From: MI | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 05, 2017 08:46 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Doing ok. I have, well, still wayting for my full liquid diet. Cream of wheat and vanilla ice cream Yum.

Still looks like I might be released tomorrow. We will see?

Good hunting.
El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted October 05, 2017 12:24 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Speedy recovery and do what the doc says.
Good news LB

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted October 06, 2017 10:26 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
Right on!! That is super good news Leonard!!

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 07, 2017 03:52 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm not doing as well
As I should so they are keeping me
Over the weekend.
But, I did get chicken last night.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 07, 2017 10:33 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'm going home sometime tomorrow? I'm not anywhere near doing good. But I think they have done as much as they can for me at this point, and that ain't much as far as being comfortable. I ain't comfortable by a damned sight. This won;t be easy.

We will see how it goes. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted October 09, 2017 06:29 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to hear this Leonard. I hope to hear of a turn around soon.
Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 14 posted October 09, 2017 07:45 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everybody,

Got home yesterday. went to bed when it was still daylight. Got up just before 8.

Well, I must be doing better or I wouldn't be home, right?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted October 09, 2017 01:42 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
You have family still there to tell you what to do & not to do,..............yes ???

--------------------

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters