The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » California AB7

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: California AB7
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted September 20, 2017 09:23 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
AB 7, Gipson. Firearms: open carry.
Existing law prohibits, with certain exceptions, openly carrying an unloaded handgun outside a vehicle while in or upon a public place or public street of an incorporated city or city and county or while in or upon a public place or public street within a prohibited area, being defined as any area in which it is unlawful to discharge a firearm.
Existing law also prohibits, with certain exceptions, carrying an unloaded firearm that is not a handgun, such as a shotgun or rifle, while in an incorporated city or city and county but does not prohibit the carrying of an unloaded firearm other than a handgun in unincorporated areas of a county.
This bill would prohibit the carrying of, and make it a crime to carry, an unloaded firearm other than a handgun while in or upon a public place or public street within a prohibited area located within the unincorporated area of a county.
By expanding the scope of an existing crime, this bill would impose a state-mandated local program.
The California Constitution requires the state to reimburse local agencies and school districts for certain costs mandated by the state. Statutory provisions establish procedures for making that reimbursement.
This bill would provide that no reimbursement is required by this act for a specified reason.
DIGEST KEY
Vote: majority Appropriation: no Fiscal Committee: yes Local Program: yes
BILL TEXT
THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA DO ENACT AS FOLLOWS:

SECTION 1. The heading of Chapter 7 (commencing with Section 26400) of Division 5 of Title 4 of Part 6 of the Penal Code is amended to read:
CHAPTER 7. Carrying an Unloaded Firearm That is not a Handgun
SEC. 2. The heading of Article 1 (commencing with Section 26400) of Chapter 7 of Division 5 of Title 4 of Part 6 of the Penal Code is amended to read:
Article 1. Crime of Carrying an Unloaded Firearm that is not a Handgun
SEC. 3. Section 26400 of the Penal Code is amended to read:
26400. (a) A person is guilty of carrying an unloaded firearm that is not a handgun when that person carries upon his or her person an unloaded firearm that is not a handgun outside a vehicle while in any of the following areas:
(1) An incorporated city or city and county.
(2) A public place or a public street in a prohibited area of an unincorporated area of a county.
(b) (1) Except as specified in paragraph (2), a violation of this section is a misdemeanor.
(2) A violation of subdivision (a) is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year, or by a fine not to exceed one thousand dollars ($1,000), or by both that fine and imprisonment, if the firearm and unexpended ammunition capable of being discharged from that firearm are in the immediate possession of the person and the person is not in lawful possession of that firearm.
(c) (1) Nothing in this section shall preclude prosecution under Chapter 2 (commencing with Section 29800) or Chapter 3 (commencing with Section 29900) of Division 9, Section 8100 or 8103 of the Welfare and Institutions Code, or any other law with a penalty greater than is set forth in this section.
(2) The provisions of this section are cumulative and shall not be construed as restricting the application of any other law. However, an act or omission punishable in different ways by different provisions of law shall not be punished under more than one provision.
(d) Notwithstanding the fact that the term “an unloaded firearm that is not a handgun” is used in this section, each individual firearm shall constitute a distinct and separate offense under this section.
SEC. 4. No reimbursement is required by this act pursuant to Section 6 of Article XIII B of the California Constitution because the only costs that may be incurred by a local agency or school district will be incurred because this act creates a new crime or infraction, eliminates a crime or infraction, or changes the penalty for a crime or infraction, within the meaning of Section 17556 of the Government Code, or changes the definition of a crime within the meaning of Section 6 of Article XIII B of the California Constitution.

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted September 20, 2017 10:29 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, that is jacked up...as I read that, you could NOT park on a public street in front of your house and take your unloaded rifle or shotgun into your house without being in violation of the law?

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted September 20, 2017 10:47 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Still a bit vague...maybe I will have to load it when I get it out of the truck to be legal? These dipshits....
Mark

--------------------

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted September 20, 2017 11:33 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
So...............when I visit Calif. I need to keep my handgun loaded ?????
Calif. is fuked up as a football-bat.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7579 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted September 21, 2017 03:58 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
It makes perfect sense I never have an unloaded weapon unless I'm cleaning it and I never do that in the car! These people are insane .

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Knows what it's all about
Member # 3918

Icon 1 posted September 21, 2017 06:08 AM      Profile for www           Edit/Delete Post 
More gobbledygook feel good bullshit.
Posts: 191 | From: Wyoming | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 21, 2017 07:03 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if it's better to be ignorant of the latest code violations or have anxiety attacks every time you exit the house or move between vehicle and abode?

Our all Democrat legislature is outdoing itself on stupidity. I really need to get the hell out of here!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31456 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted September 21, 2017 09:32 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Carrying in an un-incorporated area of the county.

That part is really sticky for us here, cause basically anyone hunting or target shooting could be breaking the law...100% of the time.

They are choking us off.
Mark

--------------------

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters