The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » '98 Mauser

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: '98 Mauser
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted August 24, 2017 03:22 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Okay gun guru's.
This was a gun my FIL built in the mid 70's it's on a 98 Mauser built after WWII.
He put a Bosch/Lomb one piece base with adjustments built into the base with a B/L scope with no adjustments, in 7mm cal.
Other half went to sight it in and did great at 25yrd.
He wants to change the base and scope.
Already have the scope.
Anyway call Night Force this morning and they referred me to
Ken Farrell company but now they need a better description of the base plate.
So any other company out there as good or better to deal with for this old of a gun of just say forget it and go buy a new 30.06?

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 25, 2017 05:46 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, first of all, I'm not sure I would be too hasty in giving up on the '98 Mauser. It's a damned good rifle, I have a couple and I'm not throwing them away anytime soon.

That B&L scope is a good one and it justifies the fact that all the adjustments are in the base rather than internal, inside the scope. The reasoning is/was that scopes from that era were a little bit fragile internally. Maybe yes, maybe not so much?

But, using the mount to adjust zero was more "bulletproof" than internal adjustments, if you accepted the theory that they were prone to failure. Anyway, it's a bit unconventional, but the system worked.

So, you want to mount a Nightforce? Nothing wrong with that. I have used the Ken Farrell company for unusual parts before and they are helpful and I have the impression that they are also competent. I would stick with them, they sorta specialize in just this sort of thing.

For sure, get this Mauser up and running instead of buying new; anybody can do that.

Good luck, El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted August 25, 2017 07:43 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
We had the rifle restocked last winter and the guy did a great job. But in that caliber it's a little lite and we thought the heavy Night Force would help with the recoil.
He just lock tighten the base screws back on and has decided to to go buy a mid range new scope for it.
He said the scope was fuzzy to his eye and just couldn't get it right for his eye. He'll be shooting it and I'll either have my pre 64 Win .308 or one other one we inherited. It's all for late winter elk hunting up around Challis. We're just hoping we'll be in the right place at the right time type of hunting.
Keep hearing the winter will be like last year so this is a Dec hunt and we may be on the snowmachines looking for anything cow.
The elk are taking over in most areas now and our deer herds are lacking populations all over the state.

--------------------

earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted August 25, 2017 04:04 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Other half was wondering what kind of scope has most adjustment right/left up/down on a medium price range

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 26, 2017 07:08 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know why he would be that concerned with maximum adjustments, but just get one with a 30mm tube and you should have more than enough.

Good luck. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted August 26, 2017 01:29 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Other half said thanks.
The rings are for a 1" tube scope.
He's just being a cheap scape on this.
I know pictures would be nice but the rifle is 140 miles away on another lookout and it won't be back up until middle of next week.

--------------------

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters