The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » New Fishing Video

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New Fishing Video
ursus21
2nd place, John Denver lookalike Contest
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted August 22, 2017 08:26 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if you guys get tired of these or not, but hopefully this video will give you a diversion from politics and the negative news media for a few minutes. I filmed all this back in early spring, but didn't have time to put it together until this summer. I'd give anything for it to be as cool temperature-wise right now, as it was in the video. Anyway, hope you guys don't mind another little non-professional grade video of fishing in Montana.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zELkscUozFw&t=39s

Posts: 780 | From: Montana | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 22, 2017 08:45 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't be silly, Troy!

We love your stuff! Wish it were me!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
ursus21
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted August 23, 2017 09:47 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Leonard. I hope to make a few more this coming year. Can't wait for the weather to cool off so I can enjoy playing outside again. I don't function in 90 degrees and hotter.
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted August 23, 2017 10:47 AM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, that looks like fun! It looked like mostly lures? Seems like I beard someone say something about drifting worms? Hook and worm on the end with a little weight higher up? Or how is than done?

Great video!!

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 23, 2017 11:21 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I know he mentioned Marabu jigs, which is usually a black feather?

I also noticed that the fish caught on worms were smaller?

That is some nice size fish for the size tackle they are using. Looks like no more than 6 lb test?

One thing for sure, judging by the complete lack of fishermen, that dam is a well kept secret.

Goo hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

ursus21
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted August 23, 2017 01:31 PM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
All of the fishing by the dam was with marabou jigs that come in all kinds of colors btw. I do like black and it's one of my go-to jigs but below the dam they seem to like brighter colors. The worm drift fishing was on the same river but about 10-15 miles further down river. The fish on that stretch of the river do tend to run a little smaller. When drift fishing we use a three way and have the weight about 10" from the 3 way swivel and the bait anyway from a couple feet up to 5 feet. Drift fishing is somewhat technical and a little more difficult. Steelhead fisherman would know what I'm talking about as they have pretty much perfected the method.

One last thing the dam isn't a well kept secret, it's just most folks would rather stay inside and keep warm than stand there freezing, slipping on the ice, and clearing ice from the eyelets on the fishing rod. Me, I'd rather fish and I don't sweat the weather much. Heck, I'm a coyote hunter in Montana I'm hard wired for dealing with cold.

NVWalt
Does not claim to be overly bright!
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted August 24, 2017 12:41 AM      Profile for NVWalt           Edit/Delete Post 
Way cool. Thank's for sharing.

--------------------
Support Communism and help destroy the United States of America ! VOTE DEMOCRAT. "In the end, they aren't coming after me. They are coming after you!" D.Trump

Posts: 636 | From: Tellico Plains, TN | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 24, 2017 05:30 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's the way it is, in the Sierra's springtime fishing. The eyelets freeze up and it gets hard to crank. Solution is to dip the rod in the water, since the air temperature is much colder than the water temperature, the eyelet ice melts right away. But, it is a phenomena you don't see at too many places. Actually, at Lake Crowley, I have had the fish freeze solid as soon as they hit the shore. This fishing is not for pussies!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Moe
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted August 24, 2017 07:37 AM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
On the outer islands from Juneau the best steelhead fishing is on the high tides of April. Guides on the rod can freeze up pretty regular making casting and retrieving difficult.

--------------------
I snatch kisses. And vice versa.

Posts: 593 | From: Oregon | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged
ursus21
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted August 30, 2017 04:54 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, just wanted to thank you guys for your support in watching some of these videos. While it is some work to make them, it is also fun to do. I don't get anything financially for this. I just do it to share the Montana outdoor experience. I feel blessed to live here and just want to share a little of what I have with others. Hopefully fire season will end here soon and there will still be some Montana left to enjoy.
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 30, 2017 06:35 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
We appreciate it, Troy. And, we know you wouldn't do it, just to make a buck.

It's a happy convergence of affection for the Great Outdoors, The State of Montana, and Fishing!

I may never see it personally, but I can sure as hell appreciate these things through your efforts.

Thanks again, Amigo!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters