The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Really ? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Really ?
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2017 02:28 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Dangerous goat ?
http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2017/08/goat_shot_after_charging_deput.html

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 10, 2017 07:05 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope the guy gets compensation. Too many stories of cops that have no choice but to shoot a dog or some barnyard animal.

I used to work in Vernon long time ago when it was the center of kill floor operations for all of SoCal. The local cops used to blast any steer they could get away with. You know, a steer might be worth (who knows?) a thousand dollars if it was handled correctly, especially under the supervision of a Veterinarian, when killed. If these biker cops, sometimes with their double barreled, sawed off shotguns, killed a steer on the street, well that animal was now worth peanuts (as offal) just because they couldn't certify as to the health of the animal.

What the Abattoir wanted was to get the animal isolated with the Vet and one of their workers using a beat up single shot 22 and then they could salvage their investment. Vernon cops would rather blast away with their handgun, without any knowledge whatsoever of how to kill the frightened animal, where to aim, etc. It was really a case of Keystone Kops, most of the time.

And, most of the time, the problem was due to truck driver fuck ups while unloading their animals. Sometimes, the Po Po would gun down a whole truckload of steers, they had a lot of fun with no thought as to the financial loss.

What they wound up doing, (when they could) was calling in a team of wranglers from Riverside to round them up and get 'em back in the pens. If the cops would allow it, <sigh>

Vernon, back in the day, was a town run by local gangsters, just like Mafia.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31306 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted August 10, 2017 07:41 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Sad.............any cowgirl worth her boots in this neighborhood could have handled an 'aggressive goat' without shooting it.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7504 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted August 10, 2017 10:03 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
He was a tough hombre for sure. The goat.
http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2017/08/it_took_4_shots_and_2_guns_to.html

Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted August 10, 2017 12:36 PM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Asshole for sure who cant handle a goat ! My Gawd!

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted August 10, 2017 12:38 PM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
I did not realize ha was truculent ! damned goat lol

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 10, 2017 01:15 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, reading between the lines, the reporter tried to be kinda neutral in describing events.

However, the owner was right, police don't know a damned thing about how to deal with a "wild" animal. He said the buzzword, "training" and that's a good alibi....I guess?

What I gathered was that the cop fucked up, all the time in the world to place his shots and notice, they didn't bother to tell us the caliber, but three carelessly placed shots and the damned goat is still walking around!

But, ooh! those horns were sharp, and goat threatened his pelvic area. I suspect all this officer needed to do was keep his distance. He knew the airhorn provoked the goat so he kept doing it, of course.

I think if the cop had been any type of hunter, and if he decided the goat must be killed, one well placed round would have accomplished the task. Instead, he choked.

This fits a pattern. Cop shoots somebody's animal, a pet or a stock animal and manages to screw it up. Almost exactly like what we used to see in Vernon; Clusterfuck.

Good hunting. El bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted August 10, 2017 05:54 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like this article keeps getting tinkered with. The 1st picture I saw, it looked like a hand reaching down to pet the goat ?

Now, I read the owner says it's probably a 250lb goat ? Not sure what to believe ?

At any rate probably didn't need shot. There would be a big difference between say a 30-40lb goat & one going over 200lbs though.

Just trying to be fair, if you can believe anything in the news lately ?

I've about had it..

Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted August 10, 2017 07:14 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
My folks raise sheep, hogs and half a dozen cows on our home place in Mc Neal. I can remember one particular bad ass ram that rules the flock, it was a Rambouillet, big ass full curl horns and maybe weighed 200?
I can't tell you how many times I wanted to shoot that sonofabitch. If you weren't paying attention, he would butt, from a short distance, and catch you smack on the thigh muscle, put my ass down many a time, and hurt like hell.
I saw him one time, take three repeated runs and head butts, knock down one of our full grown cows, tipped her right over and you could hear the breath get knocked from her lungs.
They can be tough buggers, not enough to warrant shooting for fear of life, that's a little over board, but they can knock the shit out of you, and leave you wanting to kill them just for spite.

Posts: 1592 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted August 10, 2017 08:23 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
The guy who lived up the road from me was a sheep rancher, had beef cows, and ran a dairy. Of the animals he had, he said the one animal he would never turn his back to was a ram. He had a few ornery ones over the years and was cautious. He knew a guy that was killed when he was in the pasture a ram hit him when his back was turned.
Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 11, 2017 05:10 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Victor,

Are you saying there has been a change in residence at the old McNeal Rancho? What happened to Brad or Barry or Bruce or can't ever remember the name of your star boarder? The guy that couldn't find the time to cut the weeds?

If that's what you have, parents watching the place, that's a fine turn of events. Except, now you have to call first before you show up? Did you ever get around to pouring that slab on the other lot, for a travel trailer or something?

Keeping up with McNeal Carlsons is like the Kardashians anymore.

Good hunting. El Bee

PS Mom, understand, those weeds won't cut themselves.

edit: so, I understand, these goats are sneaky critters and they watch for opportunities to catch a human unawares? I'd almost impose a three strike rule in that case. Where's that officer when we need him?

[ August 11, 2017, 05:14 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Az-Hunter
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted August 11, 2017 05:56 AM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
No Leonard; my folks have been gone for going on 25 years now; sure wish they were still around, but that's life.
Yeah; the old digs have been sold and we are back in Florida, the other place where my buddy kept an eye on for last couple years while we were back doing repairs to the house.
I did in fact get the adjoining 5 acre place up and running. Pad poured, had a trailer, but decided to sell it and construct a permanent structure, made a "tiny house". Turned out real nice, 12X24, kitchen area/living room and a bedroom that fits s queen bed size area. Covered porch, little inch rock graveled front yard with fire pit and BBQ, and in process of next month going out for dove season and build an outdoor shower/bathroom.
We lived in it for two and a half weeks after selling the old place and gathering up stuff and truck to haul it out to Florida, momma was good with it, so I must have done it right?
Shittin' in a five gallon bucket left her a bit concerned but she accepted it fine and I had a tankless hot water heater/shower hooked up in front yard, she was worried the neighbors would see, but she was good at waiting until dusk to use facilities.
So, all is well on the Carlson home front Amigo, been fishing up a storm with my son lately, we have had a couple stellar days on the Gulf of Mexico last couple weekends. Finally got into a huge school of dolphin, had one other guy with us, and we limited out in about 20 minutes, 10 fish per person so we had a cooler full of 30 dolphin. An hour later we were into the king mackerel, and limited out on them along with red snapper and one monster cobia, over 100 pound of fish on that day.
One last comical event, the other guy with us is a current F16 pilot, we weren't on the water 45 minutes, it was not bad water, little rough on way out but nothing my son was concerned about heading out in. About about 15 miles into trip, the pilot was doubled over the side spewing "chum" for 20 minutes, sick as a dog....go figger?

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted August 11, 2017 07:57 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of fishing salt water............
Whatever happened to the Salton Sea ????
Used to be a fishing haven for corbina and some other species that escapes me at the moment.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7504 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Knows what it's all about
Member # 3918

Icon 1 posted August 11, 2017 09:23 AM      Profile for www           Edit/Delete Post 
My father was a livestock dealer for many years. I've dealt with many aggressive critters,rams being the worst. I've been knocked on my ass plenty.of times,but never had to shoot one, although I felt like it many times.
Most people nowadays don't know how to deal with livestock aggressive or otherwise.

Posts: 190 | From: Wyoming | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
R.Shaw
Peanut Butter Man, da da da da DAH!
Member # 73

Icon 1 posted August 11, 2017 08:18 PM      Profile for R.Shaw           Edit/Delete Post 
Years ago I worked in the ring at the local sale barn. My side was where the livestock came in and my partner's side was the scale side where they left the ring after the bidding was complete. His name was Mike. Both sides had sliding doors, however mine was equipped with a small rectangular slot which allowed you to see what animals were next and also to communicate with the guys in the back.

The first part of the sale usually consisted of a dukes mixture of livestock ranging from sheep, goats, a horse or two, and catch cattle. Anyways, we were about 5 minutes into the sale when I reached for the handle and looked thru the slot. I could see a buck sheep with horns that curled around the side of his head just like a Bighorn's and someone in the back uttered those dreaded words "watch him".

I slid the door open and that buck came jumping in stiff legged with his head down and all the time moving forward around the ring towards the other door. Now Mike had his back to all of this because he was just finishing sliding his door closed.He turned around just in time to see the buck jump stiff legged while raising his head right into his crotch.

The bellow which came from this man's mouth was even louder than the entire crowds laughter. The auctioneer just happened to be his father in law who was a stern and strictly business kind of a fellow. Needless to say the auction was put on hold for a few minutes while he tried not to laugh and wiped tears out of his eyes.

Posts: 542 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted August 11, 2017 11:48 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
Ay Chihuahua!! Poor Mike!!

I remember my first time on a saltwater fishing boat and seeing that 8"-10" fish baited hooked bouncing around on the surface of the water 30 yards back and thinking - "no way this is ever gonna work, we need weight to get the bait under water..." No sooner had I the thought when BAM BAM beautiful bright blue and yellow Dorados hitting everyone's lines!! ...most beautiful critter in the ocean!!

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted August 11, 2017 11:50 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
Oops. And YUMMY YUMMY TOO!! ...and I don't even like fish all that much!! Mmm mmmmmm

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 12, 2017 05:48 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
After a while, I'd get tired of getting blindsided by a fucking goat; that's why they invented 2X4's.

As far as Dorado's, they might be the prettiest fish, and for sure the most fun to catch, and one of the tastiest! Watching them skim along the surface as they go after a lure is amazing. I could catch them all day long and have, a few times. The way those bull Dorado's flash orange and blue and yellow is amazing as you get them close to the surface. I don't believe there is a more sporting fish in the ocean? I didn't reel him in, (some other guy did) but once in Manzanillo, we hooked the biggest damned Bull Dorado I have ever heard of, he was very close to six foot long, a brute!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Az-Hunter
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted August 13, 2017 06:49 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Over 6' is a brute for sure, everything Ive read up on and learned about dolphin from locals here, is one close to 35-40 pounds is bragging rights. Had a guy here not long ago, caught one close to 40# on a fly rig and 8# test line, they had to follow it in boat and fight a good long time to boat it...pretty amazing.
They do eat good, but for sport, Ive grown fond of fishing for king mackerel, they look for all the world like a barracuda. Fish the same for them as dolphin, free line a live bait, no weight, catch and prepare for a great fight....and not bad eating either. Most locals do not like them, guess they are spoiled on red snapper and grouper for eating. I cooked some up last night and found it damn fine eating, my son smokes all we have caught lately, and it's very good that way.

knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted August 14, 2017 04:09 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Baling mahi can sure add to a canyon trip!
If/when the tuna troll bite wanes, we'll sometimes go "pot hopping" for mahi...

What we call 'pots' are actually the high flyer marker buoys of lobster pots that line the edges of the canyon shelf. Mahi love to congregate under any/all type of flotsam, so the 'pots' are literal mahi magnets! Small (we call 'em 'peanut') mahi will eat anything from a small jig, spoon, or cut bait...and once ya get one 'peanut' hooked, its GAME ON!!! The whole school will stay near a hooked fish, so the key is to keep at least one 'peanut' hooked at all times!
Sometimes ya catch a handful, sometimes you can stack 'em like firewood. A couple lightweight spinning outfits are always at the ready on our canyon trips, and those little 2-6 lb. 'peanuts' are a friggin' pisser to catch!!!

Every now & then, a legit sized mahi will crash a lure, and they definitely offer a sporting fight...

Mr. Vic, I was taught to cut mahi by scoring the fillet around the edges first, then peeling the skin off with pliers. The skin peels off almost like cellophane paper! Once the skin is gone, the fillet comes off, as usual...

If ya try to fillet the meat off first & skin it afterward...that fragile skin is a MAJOR pain in the azz to remove from the meat. If you've ever tried it, you know what I mean! So, I always score the skin around the fillet, then grab the skin from the corner (behind the head) with pliers, and peel that skin down like the backing of a bumper sticker...

Do you guys do the same, down south?

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted August 14, 2017 06:42 AM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll have to try that trick Fred! The big ones, after making the cut along top dorsal/spine and belly cut, you can strip off with one fluid pull, but the small ones, your right, pretty delicate skin and dicey to cut off with knife after removing the fillet.
Funny the regional differences in names for the smaller fish, here they call them "chicken" dolphin when in that 2-6 pound class. Your right on point when describing keeping one hooked up, drives the rest of the school into a frenzy. We never caught so many, so fast as the last trip out. Did find a new method, for us at least. Found what is called a "line", no grass mat or large floating object, but a distinct change in to different water conditions, something to do with tides or water temp, but at any rate, looks like a calm river, maybe 30 feet wide snaking for hundreds of yards. Man, it was loaded with fish, non stop hook ups until we had limited out....big fun for sure!

knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted August 14, 2017 08:28 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Some guys call 'em chickens here, too...

Did some searching, and sho' nuff...youtube has a video to show the mahi skinning deal:
VIDEO linky

I do the exact same thing, only its easier to grab the skin on a smaller mahi with a pair of pliers...

Same technique, on a nice bull mahi:
Linky#2

Yep, those 'color changes' can definitely stack up critters. Same as land predators, ocean killers love to hunt the edges!
I remember one trip where we came across a refrigerator floating about 100miles offshore, southeast of Block Canyon. Musta been floating forever as it was covered in growth, and we baled mahis & even jigged a nice wahoo out from under that thing!!!

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted August 14, 2017 12:58 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
That's exactly how I do it, although, Ive not snagged one as big as your second video shows...looks like pulling the hide on a damned old coyote, don't think I have that kind of hand strength any more!
On smaller dolphin, like the first video depicts, the skin peels fairly easy, just strips right off. I'm going to try your method next time on the smaller ones, using a knife, you risk losing to much meat and wasting time trimming skin.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 14, 2017 01:47 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Victor, I'm not comfortable with the term, Dolphin. We call 'em Dorado, means "gold" or something in Spanish? As far as where to find them, under any piece of styrafoam, an uprooted bush, a plastic jug, just about anything that floats, doesn't matter how big.

And, the size? I never saw anything like a chicken? The smallest we see at Cabo is at least 25 pounds, most are 35, some are 50.

Live bait, as a rule. They are most fun on spinning tackle.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Az-Hunter
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted August 14, 2017 02:21 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard; again, a regional thing I suppose? Here, most common name use is dolphin, now and again you'll hear Mahi, but 90% of the time term used by the real deal fisherman is dolphin. You know the old saying; when in Rome.
Little factoid, Dolphin are the fastest growing fish in the ocean, only living around 4 years, 5 at most. Pretty amazing they can reach the size and weight some of the big ones attain. Like to hook up with a big boy, but hey, they don't eat any better than a 5 pounder.

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters