The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » HELP! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: HELP!
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted July 04, 2017 11:24 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Someone come put me out of my misery! Please?

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1098 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted July 04, 2017 12:09 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like you are in the running for unclear tweet of the month!

Don't mess it up!

Happy 4th!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31258 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted July 04, 2017 01:58 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
That's what happens when you work 2-4 extra hours a night have a hours drive time and get up and do it all over again.
Working until midnight today and it's my day off working tomorrow on my day off so going about 14 or so days straight.
It's 100 degrees in the valley and the smog sucks for seeing.
Sorry my brain goes faster than my typing and I just figure everyone knows I'm sitting on the mountain top. [Razz]

--------------------

Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted July 04, 2017 06:58 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, this heat hit. I'm a bit fuzzy myself. My neighbors all have hay down now, so plenty of water going thru the ditch.

I've soaked my little pasture twice in the last two days. Humidity, Ahoy !!

Looks like two weeks @ least of 100 degrees or so. I was thinking about -21 & three feet of snow, about 5 1/2 months ago.

[Eek!]

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted July 05, 2017 04:24 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Mid sixties at night mid to high nineties in the day bout right for July here. This too shall pass Earthwalker , for me the good news and bad news are the same Good news I've got work bad news I've got work. ect, Be well enjoy your mountain.

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted July 05, 2017 05:45 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Problem is I'm to close to town and everyone thinks it's neat up here. It's a hot treeless lump of lava rock with rattlesnakes and scorpions plus a million other type of bugs.
Oh goody just looked out the window it's flying ant day. That gets real fun when you get 3 different sized and they swarm and drop on you in balls of ants. It's called Peaking and all mountain tops get it.
I'm a BLM fire lookout really miss being a Forest Service lookout now a days with trees and far away roads. Wouldn't matter as everyone and his brother has a atv/utv and they all travel in packs and they will come if you wait long enough. Only thing going for me is a locked gate and no one will walk up. Can't drive I ain't doing it it seems like.
My lookout doesn't look like a lookout that everyone thinks about it's more like a condo and I'm on a short mtn only 5900 feet or so. The only nice thing I no longer have to spend nights and it's only a hours drive from my house. BLM charges me to sleep in their buildings and I refuse to pay $5.00 a night. When no one is at my house to take care of the lawn and other things. They shipped my other half off to another lookout and he doesn't get home but once a week (except for this week). He sleeps outside and doesn't pay either.
It's just the heat can't handle it anymore and the excess amount of people moving in and they all seem to come with the same concepts stupid is as stupid does.

--------------------

Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted July 05, 2017 07:14 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Does not sound fun !

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted July 05, 2017 11:59 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a bad case of burn out, getting old and buying a new place a couple of years back in some wonderful country and I want to retire go have some fun for a change and be the pest to other lookouts.

--------------------

Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted July 05, 2017 12:36 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trying to mentally prepare myself for three months of smoke.
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 05, 2017 12:50 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
OK

If you want to retire, then do it.

I had zero interest in retirement one day and suffered burnout the next. My wife got a little nervous but I just said, I have to try and it we can't make it, I can always go back to work.

I actually never had any regrets. You have to perhaps adjust your lifestyle here and there, but if you want it, it's always possible. I feel sorry for the people that seem to think that they can never retire.

Higgins was one of them, my sister was another. It's kind of pathetic, no reward, just like an ant farm, every day just like the last. I have never held a job that was so rewarding and enjoyable that I never wanted anything else in life.

So, my message is, give it a try, if you have the desire. You can always go back and maybe you will find something even better than what you had before,. The important thing is, don't be afraid to try.

Every once in a while, I see certain things and realize I could do better, but in ten minutes it passes. I don't do a lot, but I have complete freedom to any damned thing I want, or not do anything. It's the freedom and flexibility that provides the satisfaction.

And, in 12 years, I haven't been bored yet. Makes me realize what a rat race I was in, making a living.

Good luck, LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted July 06, 2017 03:53 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
I would if I could, government worker is a little different. I have 25 years in but could not buy back all my time so lacking 2 more years before I can pull the plug and expect to get enough to pay for my insurance when I do.
It's funny you can get into government work easy but getting out is a whole different critter as I'm finding out.

We've planned for and have lived like we didn't have a job one in the winters. Have never worked a full-time job or year round for someone.

Work 6 months on and off 6 months only thing that gets me through the summers. I'm just wining and being a pain to the world.

--------------------

earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted July 06, 2017 11:58 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Life is good today(see told ya I was wining). Got to sleep in my own bed last night. Got a good shower. Got my garbage hauled and got into town for groceries. So not feeling sad for myself. But still hot and dusty and I can get grumpy fast over that.

No fires so far. Had one yesterday could have been a lot worse thanks to some kids (probably).

More clouds moving up from the south, don't think they'll do anything in my area as it's just plain to hot in the valley today. Suppose to hit 100 plus today. It might get interesting but have a hunch it'll stay south and hit the other half on his lookout Owyhees.

--------------------

knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted July 07, 2017 03:25 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
$5 a night to stay on the hill sounds reasonable, from a purely economical standpoint?
When ya factor in how much you're likely spending in fuel for the extra round trip to sleep @ home, plus vehicle wear & tear, $5 is a bargain.

Not to mention wasting an extra 2hrs. of your time behind the wheel. Time is one thing none of us ever get back.

"First world problems", anyway...don't sweat 'em!

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted July 07, 2017 06:19 AM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Im with you Leonard, have seen far to many people who allowed, or felt, that what they did for work, defined who they were. I can promise anyone in that state of mind, that their "work" doesn't give a fuck, who fills that particular slot, when your gone, it takes a New York second to fill your shoes and forget who the hell had the position last.
I retired at 48, walked out the gate the same day I walked in 30 years prior, no fan fair, luncheon or watch. I never looked back, or went by the office to visit, or for that matter ever thought about work.
Ive had wonderful experiences, great times with friends and family I never would have had if I waited to retire at the usual age I am now.
I suppose one can always reflect and think about how much more "set" would I be "if" I had stuck around, saved more, pinched a few more pennies etc, but as I love to say about "if", "If" my aunt had balls, she would be my uncle.
When you've had enough of anything, bail, it's not worth pissing your time off, it's toxic to your mental,physical and emotional health, and one step closer to your expiration date.

Posts: 1589 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted July 07, 2017 08:37 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Knockemdown,
Been sitting here thinking of how to reply to you without sounding like the wining woman I have been for a few days.
In principle it's basically saying if you work here you have to pay to work here.
Also I have no one to water my yard or my garden and I feel at this time and age my home , my mental and physical health mean a lot more to me than the $5.00 a night. Yes, I do get mileage one trip in and one trip out.
I've more or less have been a fire lookout for 40 years.

I would walk out the door yesterday but to close to losing it all. Other half has been a summer seasonal for 39 years and he's calling it quits next season. He's had his fill too. I guess when the BS meter hits full it's time.

Also you're all welcome to come visit me. And see what a hell hole this mountain really is. Don't believe me as Dave Allen. He can see from his place.

--------------------

Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted July 07, 2017 09:08 AM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering the same thing about the $5 over-night fee? Seems like a bargain considering the drive time and fuel. Unless you simply hate where you are staying than no price can make a person enjoy it.

I've worked with some folks who have really gotten bitter about their job and life in general because they have to keep working mainly for insurance or just needing the money.

One guy in particular, was pretty negative his last couple years. When he retired 5 years ago, I figured retirement would do him good. He still stops by work several times a year. I asked him recently how retirement was going and he said "Oh, it's okay, I guess?" Hell, he wasn't happy working and doesn't sound very high on retirement either.

Like Vic said very well, Once I walk through the retirement door, I can't wrap my mind around dropping in to see how things are going.... Nothing against the people or the job, but it is just a job after all and not what defines my reason for existing.

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted July 07, 2017 09:20 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
That is a phenomenon that I see often...guys retiring from the company, then they want to hang out at their former work place all damn day going forward. Forget that shit, when Im gone im gone.

Or...they become "that guy" at the gun shop...you know...nothing to do with their life so they hang out at the local gun shop all day, every day, and bug the fuck out of people constantly with all of their "knowledge".
I had to throw that one in, cause I just about hate to go into a gun shop now days (if you can find one) because of that person.
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted July 07, 2017 12:24 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
You still have Gun Shops in Calif. ????

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7476 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 07, 2017 01:49 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, we have a few. But they are getting more like the Walmarts that display just the pictures of knives, the actual knives are locked in drawers. Also, the firearms were removed many years ago. Last time I looked, they still sold some ammo. Not sure if they only stock weird stuff that nobody needs? Do not expect to see any rimfire.

And, once you think about that info, understand that they have outlawed mail order ammo, starting January 1. Hey, it's for our own good, and we don't want those black kids in South Central killing each other. They are the ones who will be squawking about ammo shortages. OBAMA, HELP ME! And he will say, don't ask me, talk to that mayor in Chicago.

I'm pretty sure they will see to it that I can't drive to Phoenix or Las Vegas and load up on ammo. Bring a trailer for my homies needs. If that angle has slipped their mind, I better call the Gov and remind him to do something about it.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted July 07, 2017 01:51 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
I was talking to my BIL,over the 4th, who is a few years out from retiring. When I asked him if he was looking forward to retiring, he said that he will probably stay working for as long as he can because he would "get too bored"...

I can't even begin to wrap my mind around that! Shit, I can piddle away an afternoon putting a handle on an axe. There are so many things I'd like to do both indoors and out, if I only had the time. I really can't fathom ever being truly bored.

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted July 07, 2017 03:15 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I have plenty of useless things I can do to keep from getting bored.
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted July 07, 2017 03:15 PM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
I can retire now, but plan on working another 4 years until I'm 60. However there are days when I seriously think of saying, screw it, I have had enough.

The biggest obstacle is if I retire early, right now, I will have to forfeit 30% of my pension. And I cant touch my 401K or IRA's until I am 59 1/2 without penalties.

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted July 08, 2017 01:53 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, earthwalker. I understand. I see that mountain everyday. It is a hell-hole. I'd be glad to get off it myself.

Kinda reminds me of one of those barren, northern Nevada mountain ranges.

Yeah. $5 bucks ain't the end of the world, but, I understand. Kinda the principal of the deal.

earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted July 10, 2017 04:16 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Dave A, your smoke has arrived.
A lot of NV is now on fire and Twin Falls district is on fire. Vale has one at the back waters of Owyhee lightning caused. Plus AZ, UT NM so on and so forth.
We may get lucky and the Bozo forest doesn't get anything this summer. When the forest gets on fire it totally sucks for us.
Got lucky all the lightning has come up to Battle Mtn. Elko and so forth then shuttled of to the ENE hitting the east side of the state, Wyoming and Montana.

--------------------

Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted July 10, 2017 06:07 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, I see. Tons of lightning to my southwest Sat night.

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters