The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Solar Eclipse (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Solar Eclipse
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted August 22, 2017 08:25 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Your spot on Leonard. Ive asked my grand kids and other young people, what they think the civil was fought for, every one has answered, to free the slaves. That's what they are taught, and just repeat it, not having read anything about it.
Slavery was one of the factors, but certainly not the main reason. States rights, voting inequities, taxation, and northern hunger for cotton, which was in its time, like oil is now. The Confederacy was a legitimate government, with their own president and associated governing body.
Facts don't have feelings; but seems today, feelings trump facts.
I'd bet a C note, you could randomly ask a hundred people why we fought the Civil war, and to a man/woman, they would say to free slaves?

Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted August 22, 2017 09:48 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
Sunday night, my job cancelled for Monday. So I called my guys and gave them the day off and told the wifey "let's wake up early and drive 4 hrs. North to witness the big event." Not only did it look cool in the glasses, but was really cool watching it get darker and darker, temperature dropped 20 degrees or so, then got night time dark for about 2 and a 1/2 minutes. Then it got light and warm again!! It really was cool!! Just before the total lights out, it looked like mirage heat waves moving around on the ground all around us. It was faint shadows but the moved around like heat mirage. It truly was a once in a lifetime experience. WAY COOLER THAN WE EXPECTED!!!

Koko had it right. Farmers were getting $30-$50 to park your car on their dirt for less than 3 minutes!! LOL

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted August 22, 2017 09:52 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
P.S.
I would know better Vic, my kids too. We home schooled our kids and weren't subject to the same public school agendas. But that is a great point!!

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters