The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Solar Eclipse (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Solar Eclipse
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted June 19, 2017 11:06 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
This has all the potential to be a complete cluster-fuck !!
http://www.ktvb.com/news/eclipse/idaho-transportation-department-prepares-for-solar-eclipse/450101122

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
NVWalt
Does not claim to be overly bright!
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted June 19, 2017 12:37 PM      Profile for NVWalt           Edit/Delete Post 
You got that one right for sure. We expect over 20,000 people to come to our little town on that weekend because it is right on the path. Just glad I live out of town and up on a mountain(?) so the family can at least enjoy it. should be spectacular viewing with my 12 inch telescope and little 4 inch sun scope.
BUT, a flustercluck it will be and no doubt about it.

--------------------
Support Communism and help destroy the United States of America ! VOTE DEMOCRAT. "In the end, they aren't coming after me. They are coming after you!" D.Trump

Posts: 636 | From: Tellico Plains, TN | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted June 19, 2017 02:15 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Try and be on a mtn top in the shaded zone. Expecting hoards. Expecting to have to spend the night so I have a parking spot and protect the building. Also expecting some idiot to block the locked gate that says "NO PARKING". LOL
I'm not looking forward to this crap!! [Mad]

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2017 08:26 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.ktvb.com/news/eclipse/washington-county-declares-emergency-ahead-of-solar-eclipse/451330994
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted June 26, 2017 11:01 AM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess if people find time to go to a protest, then they've also got time to go to the best place to few an eclipse? Good grief. Got better things to do with my time.

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 26, 2017 11:23 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you know, once you've seen one solar eclipse, you've pretty much seen them all. I witnessed one in Minnesota when I was 10 or eleven? I wouldn't go out of my way to see another, much less rig up some contraption to view it on some paper because I didn't have a welding lens. It's always the best most complete, greatest eclipse in our collective lifetime's. <yawn>

They hype solar and lunar and comets and they are all kind of ho hum, unless you are some type of astronomer? And, it's always that we won't see the next one until the year 2535, if man is still alive?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31459 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted August 01, 2017 08:04 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Well it's creeping up on us ?
http://www.argusobserver.com/opinio n/first-it-was-a-snowpocalypse-now-it-s-an-apoceclipse/article_a5073d64-74c7-11e7-8dde-175ca1a8c8e4.html

(edit) More good news.
http://www.ktvb.com/news/eclipse/payette-county-declares-disaster-declaration-for-eclipse/460845851

[ August 01, 2017, 09:19 AM: Message edited by: Dave Allen ]

Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted August 01, 2017 11:07 AM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
I see a few weeks back that the governor of Oregon had gone off the rails by declaring a state of emergency and wanting the National Guard on hand for the massive influx of people...

Good grief, you'd think aliens were landing or something like that?

As for me, we're a bit north of the best view, but I'll probably take a look at the sky when its happening. I couldn't imagine traveling to see it though.

2004 was the Bicentennial of the Lewis and Clark expedition that traveled right through our area. The thought was tens of thousands of people were gonna be on the trails and roads to retrace the LC route and this was going to create traffic jams, stranded people, injuries, etc..

It was completely over-blown and not a damn thing out of the ordinary happened.

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
NVWalt
Does not claim to be overly bright!
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted August 02, 2017 01:22 AM      Profile for NVWalt           Edit/Delete Post 
This really could be way overblown hype but one thing is for sure, getting a room at a hotel/motel is like getting one during NASCAR week in Vegas.All booked a year in advance. I do have to say though that a solar eclipse at totality is something to behold even if one isn't of the star gazer type. And a once in a lifetime event for most people.
I took my daughters out and made them look at Haley's comet when it came by some many years ago just so they could say they at least saw it. Even if I doubt they actually remember it. I may be wrong but they were pretty young back then.
Either way,hype or not, there should be an influx of people over that weekend to see what it's all about.

--------------------
Support Communism and help destroy the United States of America ! VOTE DEMOCRAT. "In the end, they aren't coming after me. They are coming after you!" D.Trump

Posts: 636 | From: Tellico Plains, TN | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted August 02, 2017 07:32 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Walt an impact will be felt. Probably overhyped ? I think everyone is preparing for the worst & hoping for the best.

The problem we have is our valley gets narrow as you head north to the center of this thing. There will be congestion for sure. We just hope it's not as bad as they think it will be ?

earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted August 02, 2017 08:02 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm hoping and praying for wind, rain, hail lightning fog anything to discourage anyone and everyone from coming up. I can see major problems with city flatlanders coming up my road and tearing it up worse than it already is.
No One will be allowed up on the catwalk. So it should be a fun mess with that. Trying to do my job and keep people off. Urggggg!

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 03, 2017 09:03 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm the jaded, odd man out, apparently?

As I see it, the space cadets are always promoting some spectacular event, once in a lifetime, whether it be an eclipse of the moon or any other heavenly body. And, shame on us if we don't witness this stupendous event!

I have performed my civic duty plenty times. They are always a letdown, slow to evolve and at the exact moment, they still fail to excite me. But, I'll do it again because of the promise, (or is it a threat?) that I won't see the exact same thing for another 800 years, if I'm lucky.

These people in the Astronomy vocations need to hype every celestial phenomena available, so that we ordinary schmucks appreciate these things as much as your average astrophysicist does.

I'm sorry. They never live up to the promotion, and I've witnessed quite a few. The movies do a much better job!

Good hunting. El Bee

PS I'm still waiting for that spectacular Perseus Meteor Shower. I did actually see one, while hunting about thirty years ago but it was purely an accident, I had other reasons to be up all night. And, it was as advertised, pretty cool.

edit: By the way, It will be coming up this month again. While hunting coyotes at night, it's a nice bonus.

[ August 03, 2017, 09:07 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted August 03, 2017 03:32 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Perseid Meteor Shower
12 August '17

Pretty cool if you're away from the lights of L.A.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7579 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted August 03, 2017 04:20 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
You can watch all the lights of the night you want up here.
Only problem I've found I'm not a night person. So staying up to watch this stuff then trying to stay awake to work just doesn't seem to work for me.
I've seen more night sky coming and going out in the wee hours of the morning to check trap lines.

This was happened back in the 90's.
One of the most weird cool thing I've seen. One evening around 10p or so there was this shimmering greenish funnel shaped object in the sky. Some people from the office where driving in and they seen it too. Turned out to be a rocket burning up over the west coast. Coolest thing I've seen. Also several years ago right at twilight if you looked to the east you could see the space station being lite up by the sun/moon depending could really see it with binoculars. Most of the time I miss most of the night sky anymore.

--------------------

Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted August 06, 2017 07:40 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Smoky as shit right now. Been this way 5-6 days ? It will be interesting to see when this blows over ?

Posted up a few no-trespassing signs today, probably not a bad idea anyway.

Next week or so just going to pick up a few extra things here & there, just in case.

It's getting to be the buzz around here for sure.

They say we might close for work that day. I would be real interested to observe my goats & cows when all this goes down ?

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 07, 2017 05:29 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
This is really a big deal in rural America? It's like the opening of the new Walmart.

I remember one time, I was hunting with my dad up in northwestern Nevada, Up by Gabbs, if you know where that is? I remember once we got a room at the hotel there, $5 a night, and if we had brought in enough beds, we could have slept a whole squad in that room....where was I?

Oh yeah, stopped by the deputy sheriff and he said, Wow, I stopped a couple guys from California last night, right here. And I said, were their names McGee? Yup. So, when we met up with father and son McGee back at Bishop, we told them we knew about them getting stopped by the sheriff, anyway, we won, I think we had three coyotes and they had two so they bought our breakfast. Now where was I?

Oh yeah, the actual big event that Saturday night was a light show in the western sky. We didn't know what it was until seeing it on the news when we got back home Sunday night. Where was I? Oh yeah, it was a rocket from Vandenburg, or is it Vandenberg? Whatever, it sure was a spectacular display, especially since it was a very dark new moon, I know this now as I type because we always hunt on a new moon. The reason is simple, with any amount of moonlight, the coyote can see you. Always hunt in the dark of the moon and you will be much more successful.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted August 07, 2017 06:46 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been loosely planning to head up and check it out. But last night I decided to spend that weekend poking around ghost towns and old mines out in the desert instead. Maybe collect some coyote bounty.

Friends that live in Rock Springs (WY) were making it sound like a scheduled EMP attack or something. Said they are all expecting cell phones to stop working, gridlock on I-80, running out of gas at gas stations, running out of food at supermarkets etc. Said flea bag trucker girlfriend motel rooms are sold out at $300 a night. They aren't even that close to the totality, just on the way to it.

M'self, I was pretty confident I could leave here the day before, drive up to some empty BLM land right in the center of the path, pitch my tent, see the eclipse the next morning and immediately head home and not have much trouble of any kind with crowds or anything. I'd rather go see some new to me old mines and stuff instead though.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted August 07, 2017 10:37 AM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
If I had a place in the eclipse path, I'd be advertising it as a viewing spot.

Just think, a Craigslist of Facebook add saying $50 per car (max 4 people per vehicle) and make it sound extra special by offering viewing glasses and all the lemonade they can drink for free! Register early to make sure you get a spot!

Shit as long as a guy is at it, selling $25 t-shirts with "Eclipse 2017; Where were you?" written on them might be a hit also.

Might as well make some bank on this deal because it ain't lasting long and doesn't happen every year. Just think of all the new rifles and optics a guy could buy! [Smile]

Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted August 07, 2017 11:02 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Whats an eclipse? jk

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted August 07, 2017 11:48 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
E-clips be clips fo yo piece da you buys on E-Bay.
If you be uppity ya calls dem E-mags.

Or something like that........... [Smile]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7579 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted August 07, 2017 01:09 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Lonny;
Google eclipse t shirt
>15,000 ads including a take-off on The Dark Side Of The Moon.

--------------------

Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted August 07, 2017 01:21 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Well hell, thanks for letting me know Koko.

Story of my life... A day late and a dollar short...

Maybe next time. If I'm still on the green side of the grass, when it comes around again... [Smile]

Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted August 07, 2017 01:24 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Well shit Lonny. Maybe I'm missing out ?

I could rent my pasture lets say $200 a night for tent campers. Added bonus of a petting zoo. My cows & goats will come right up to you & let ya pet 'em.

City folk will be thrilled !!

Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted August 07, 2017 02:59 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Petting zoo! Hell yeah, now your're talking my friend.

Beer garden for the adults might go over good... $7 for a 10 ounce glass should be about right. Make'em sign a waiver.

Get the kegs ordered today, you only got a couple weeks.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 07, 2017 03:06 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thinking this event will be almost as momentous as Y2K.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters