The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Weather II

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Weather II
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted May 06, 2017 06:14 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, a hell of a spring so far. The storms are so scattered it's hard to keep track of. One side of the road might get a sprinkle the other side 1/2" of rain. No shit !! Amazing stuff.

I got pounded with almost 1.5" last night in twenty minutes ?

I'm figuring about a foot of rain this spring so far. Not counting the 30" of snow in January & early February. Not to forget the 20" in December.

It was 85 on Thursday. Wind blowin' like hell & kinda' cold now. Farmers stressed as shit, some below or above these storms are Ok ?

Some are shittin' their pants. I've never seen anything like this in my 35 years in the general area. It seems like storm alley has been worse here on the border..

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 07, 2017 05:20 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, we know where you're going with this. Every unusual weather condition is iron clad proof of GLOBAL WARMING ! Then, when everything's normal, that's more proof!

You people are of a one track Liberal mind! [Smile]

Good hunting. El Bee

PS it's raining here right now, second day in a row, and it never rains in May in SoCal! Eek!

[ May 07, 2017, 05:21 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31474 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted May 07, 2017 06:05 AM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Crazy amounts of moisture this spring... We are at yearly totals only 4 months in.

And yep, those farmers are sweating right now. It may take a week or two of sunshine to dry things out to get in the fields. If it turns off hot, which it could, what they do plant, won't amount to anything.

I'd hate to be in that business. Always fretting about something you can't do a damn thing about. But hey, there should be a Gov rescue to make up for it?

One thing about it though, this added moisture should help get water back into the ground again, give the trees a big drink and replenish springs and other water sources.

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 10 posted May 07, 2017 07:31 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Global Warming..My ass !!

I hear ya Lonny, if it turns hot, it will be interesting. We'll have plenty of water this year. No issue there. Winter wheat is waist high, alfalfa really starting to take off, can't get in to spray though, weeds are getting crazy !!

The guys who were going to plant onions are pretty much screwed right now, there won't be enough growing season.

Oh' well, off to town, need a new lawnmower, might be dry enough this afternoon ?

Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted May 07, 2017 09:41 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Its the El Nino current always brings crazy amount of precip..

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted May 07, 2017 01:37 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
LAWN MOWER? You better push them goats out of the bedroom and quit feeding them dog chow. Like earthworm told ya, you should never have named them!

Good huntng. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted May 08, 2017 03:43 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Earthworm? Really Leonard?

Mowed our lawn for the 8th time already.
3rd wettest spring on record since the 1800's.

We're just not use to this much moisture. Especially in the last 20 years it seems like.

Would love to have a nice long cool wet summer.
I don't want to see lightning or turn one fire in.
Already seen the lightning so I know that dream is already a bust.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 08, 2017 05:37 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, Earthwalker! I claim innocence, this spellchecker is a sneaky SOB. It decides what I'm thinking, and corrects everything, I really have to watch it!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted May 08, 2017 01:44 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
That's okay LB. Just had to josh you a little.

And Thank you for your forum and all you do.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 08, 2017 03:20 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, earthwalker. Seriously, this spellchecker will change stuff long past when you think you're safe. Actually, "earthworm" is a little funny, when you think about it. But it completely slipped by me. Sorry!

Also, glad to see you sticking around, we need a woman's touch around here. You know, hang a few curtains, etc. Men get completely uncivilized when they don't have females around. Thanks.

Good hunting. El Bee

[ May 08, 2017, 03:22 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 08, 2017 06:38 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
El Bee............
(Whisper) It's not the spell checker..........it's the Government watching. [Eek!]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7584 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 09, 2017 04:44 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, and that's exactly why I don't shower with my phone!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted May 09, 2017 08:14 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
70's Last week raining today go figure !

--------------------

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2017 05:32 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Rain again this morning. I'm trying to kill the damned weeds out front and this rain is not helping!

My yard is a total disaster since water restrictions last summer. I'm looking at some type of Arizona design, (Hell, Paul could probably help me with that) You know, decorative gravel, some type of specimen plant or shrub scattered around?

But, even though the drought is officially over, the mowing and upkeep is not logical anymore.

However, the highest bid so far is a little hard to take, $30,000! Eek! I don't know where I'm going exactly but my first step is rendering the mess to bare dirt. One thing I'm learning is that weeds are indestructible and last forever.

Advice, Paul?

Good hunting, El Bee

edit: don't believe me, ask ko ko!

[ May 10, 2017, 05:33 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2017 07:52 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I did notice that the potted plant outside your front door is root-bound & cracked the pot.

A pity that you can't pipe your grey water into your sprinkler system but it being Calif. I'm sure there's a law against that.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7584 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2017 10:28 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I need to take care of that Yucca. I need to find a large enough pot that won't crack or made out of fiberglass, but that thing is too strong for terra cotta. Another thing is it weighs 300 pounds, kinda hard for me to pick up and drop in a larger pot, but I'll figure something out. Besides, it seems to like where it is, has lots of elbow room.

How do I know it weighs 300 pounds, you say? That's the second pot it has destroyed. That's a $50 pot, BTW. I must be a slow learner? I'm trying to remember what it's called? I used to think it is a bottle palm, not so sure?

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: and it's not toot bound, ko ko. That's the Caudal (trunk) that is expanding. Sposed to be that way.

edit: fucking spell checker! I wrote ROOT BOUND !

[ May 10, 2017, 10:35 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2017 03:27 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
We went from rain and cool nice temps to dry and hot! 80's today and then Friday back to cold and chance of rain. Chance of snow even.
Haven't planted anything in the garden. Will be an interesting summer.
Get the green spray paint out LB and instant lawn. LOL

--------------------

TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2017 04:57 AM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
been a typical spring around here. Had two snow storms a week apart on the last weekend of April and first weekend of May. About a foot of snow from each. Now we're getting rain. Seems to me to be about a typical for around here. Finally greening up. I did have to mow once already. Hummingbirds showed up, right on time.

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2017 05:29 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard email me some pics of your yard and I can give you some help !

--------------------

Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2017 06:41 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, looks like a 30 temp drop by tomorrow. Chance of rain 60% here. Translation-it's gonna rain !! Every time it's 40-50% that means rain !!

I've got weeds under control around the house & barn. My pasture is a disaster !! grass & weeds are waist high !!

My goats & calves can't keep up !!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2017 08:07 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Git more, Dave!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2017 08:52 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
For Paul. And those that don't know, he was a high class Landscape Contractor. And, those people in AZ are willing to spend big bucks. Sort of a competitive situation, who has more Organ Pipe and Sahuaro in the display complimented by all sorts of desert trees like Palo Verde and Mesquite. It really is an art form to tie in a dry creek bed and make it all look natural and inviting, and not too busy.

But anyway, I have dead sod that needs to be removed down to bare dirt. Needs to be hauled off, too. That's before I start designing.

So, starting with that, should I hire someone to just do that much? I know every contractor expects to fund their retirement on the next big job, so a homeowner should understand that. That's just how contractors think so be aware of how they want to help you. I'm not against them, but I'm not a babe in the woods either.

Story: I was given the job of getting bids for a rather large office complex. One I called in was my brother in law, but the boss gave me a card so I called him too.

When all the bids were submitted, my brother in law was high and the one the boss suggested was low, by a considerable amount. Thinking about it, it made me look bad, like maybe I would profit by a kickback or something?

Anyway, it seemed like a slam dunk and while I sat there, he called up the low bid guy. What happened was very interesting. He said, you know, I'd really like you to have the job but your bid is a little too much. I couldn't believe it! They talked for a while and he handed me the contract. He had scratched out the price and wrote a number that was about 10% of the lowest bid already! Boss is Jewish, BTW. So, I cleared out of there, not understanding what the hell was going on.

I was working closely with this contractor and the boss was pushing, he didn't want the construction to disrupt business any more than necessary. So, one day, contractor says to me, has George decided on when he is going to do the new renovations? I said nothing, but I knew there was no plans for a new renovation but everything became clear to me!

George was conning this guy who had done some work on his home, and he gave the lowball bid as an enticement for the million dollar redesign that I had no knowledge of. This contractor did (I forget) 5 or 6 new sales offices at far below cost just so he would get that juicy new (and fictitious) construction. I actually felt sorry for him but I learned a thing or two. I never told George that I was aware of his deceit.

The main thing is, most contractors have a figure in his head that bears no relationship to the bid he has presented to you.

And that folks, is how Donald Trump became a Billionaire!

Good hunting. El Bee

[ May 11, 2017, 08:56 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2017 10:45 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Just so you know. It's 71 degrees in Upland, right now. It's 71 degrees in Ash Fork, right now. Scary, ain't it?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2017 04:14 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I just signed a contract. Hope I did the right thing?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters