The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Recipes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Recipes
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted May 05, 2017 06:01 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't think I have ever seen a recipe thread...I just processed our deer from last fall, and thought I would give you a good jerky marinade I came up with.

2/3 c. Low Sodium Soy Sauce
4 T. Worchestershire Sauce
1 T. Liquid Smoke
4 T. Brown Sugar

This is good for 3# of meat. I marinated it for 24 hours in a plastic bag, (be sure and mix well to coat all meat), then I drained the meat and sprinkled it with Hi Country Mesquite Jerky seasoning. I went another 24 hours and then smoked the meat at 225 for 2 hours over mulberry wood...it came out perfect!

I do whole muscle jerky, cut cross grain and cut it around 1/4" thick. Jerky comes out tender and not chewy.

[ May 05, 2017, 06:02 AM: Message edited by: booger ]

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted May 05, 2017 06:21 AM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Booger. What do you use for a smoker?
Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted May 05, 2017 06:47 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
Lonny,
Tag teamed with my hunting partner this year until I get one of my own. He has the biggest Masterbilt propane smoker you can get. We did over 120 pounds of deer snack sticks, too.

I have noticed the electric smokers are better insulated than the propane models for some reason. I am going to get the 40" Masterbilt electric smoker that Sam's Club carries. I am also going to buy the Masterbilt cold smoking unit and connect it to the main smoker with dryer vent hose. The little smoke tray in the smoker is cheesy and from what I understand only gives smoke for about 20 minutes. The smoke tray in the smoker also does not produce much smoke at the lower temps I like to use in the 200-225 range. That is the reason I am getting the unit to produce 'cold' smoke. I can also smoke cheese and just use the smoke unit without turning the smoker heat on.

Hope to have that before next hunting season!

[ May 05, 2017, 06:55 AM: Message edited by: booger ]

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 05, 2017 07:28 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
One year, I decided to dispense with the roasts and the suet and the burger, etc. So, I sliced up an entire young buck for jerky. My mistake was in not throwing out the marinade, after each batch. The jerky got progressively weaker and more bland, but of course, I did't realize the problem until I started chewing on jerky from later batches.

Anyway, that's my message, get a big bowl, fill it with your ingredients and soak your meat for as long as you want. But, then, throw the juice out and start over, otherwise, the product won't be nearly as tasty as the first batch. Maybe you guys been there, done that, but if you want jerky with a bite, you have to make a new marinade.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31258 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted May 05, 2017 07:29 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
Good point, LB!

--------------------

Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted May 06, 2017 03:48 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Booger looks like a gopd recipe ,
I love running my smoker !

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
tedo
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4320

Icon 1 posted May 06, 2017 06:00 AM      Profile for tedo   Email tedo         Edit/Delete Post 
That recipe should work well for smoked salmon too.
Posts: 73 | From: S.E. Arizona | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 06, 2017 08:48 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Reminds me, my mom used to make the best steamed King Salmon in the dishwasher. With a row of lemon slices and then wrapped in foil. A lot of people never heard of it, but I think it was quite common around the Seattle area, at least. Try it, you will like it.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted May 06, 2017 06:26 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Im always the odd man out when it comes to jerky, no sauces, marinades, or exotic spices, I like my venison jerky with only salt and pepper. I love the taste of venison, don't want it hidden.
Posts: 1589 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted May 06, 2017 09:28 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
......see that's what I'm talking about!! Haha
On the odd years we get an elk, we'll gobble up the entire critter fried with a dredge made of flour and salt n pepper. Right out the pan and into a warm fluffy tortilla!! I'm pretty sure my comment is somewhat off topic because ain't no deer as yummy as elk!!

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted May 07, 2017 03:45 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
sounds good Danny I love elk !

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 07, 2017 05:30 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Victor, you are always the odd man out in a lot of categories. So, let me ask, exactly what kind of venison are you speaking of?

I think, generally, that Rocky Mountain Mule Deer would be superior venison over your little whitetails, but that's just a guess?

This is my way of asking, what do Coues taste like?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Az-Hunter
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted May 07, 2017 05:58 AM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Man; I don't think I can tell the difference? My last two deer have been mule deer, and they taste just as good as the last 10 whitetail I have cut up, they all taste the same to me?
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 07, 2017 06:51 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, you're one of those; "Beer's Beer" Guys? Or, is it, all venison is scrumptious, even the ones that have been hiding in, and eating sage, the entire season?

As one who doesn't particularly favor venison, I notice slight differences. AND, it needs to be grilled my way or the highway. Venison roasts don't get it for me. Also, venison tacos without hot sauce? You kid me, Senior?

I rotisseried an entire rear shank or quarter, whatever they are called, once. Trust me, (especially for the guests) it needed BBQ sauce. And, lots of it.

That one year, at the campout , Steve Craig made some really good stew that had chunks of moose and black bear in it. You never tasted more tender meat, and I couldn't tell one from the other? How'd he do it? Come to think of it, where's he been, lately?

Anyway, Good Hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Az-Hunter
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted May 07, 2017 11:14 AM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
We don't really have sage country in southern Arizona, so Ive not had any venison that's been foraging on sage? My palate is in no sense dulled I can promise you that, I just like deer meat. I use poor cuts, like front shoulders, neck etc, stripped off the bone and use for red chili con carne, my favorite, the other large cuts, roasts and loins get steaked out for a dusting of flour and salt and pepper, then a quick turn in a hot oiled pan....yum.

[ May 07, 2017, 11:15 AM: Message edited by: Az-Hunter ]

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 10 posted May 07, 2017 01:44 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You remind me! I used to make red venison chile. I haven't a clue where that recipe might be these days; but it was sure as hell tolerable. That's what happens when you don't do much deer hunting, anymore.

Yeah, and part of the reason is because the game departments have to regulate the dogshit out of it.

Good hunting. El Bee

[ May 07, 2017, 01:45 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Az-Hunter
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted May 07, 2017 03:34 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
I still use my Mothers recipe, I can eat it by the wheel barrow load.
Takes two pots, one to brown a couple pounds of rough chopped venison, the other to steam 15 or 20 large dried red chile pods and half a dozen large garlic cloves and two cups of water, stay away from powdered chile it has a grainy mouth feel in my opinion, but that's just me.
When chile pods are steamed and soft, run them thru a blender, then thru a sieve to keep out the skin and seeds, then add to browned venison and simmer for a long time, low and slow.
Eaten with a pile of good home made tortillas and a mess of pinto beans....man, that would rate as my choice for a last meal if I had to.

[ May 07, 2017, 03:36 PM: Message edited by: Az-Hunter ]

knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted May 08, 2017 04:16 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
If I ever happen to have some venison that makes it several months in the freezer, and/or starts to get that mild discoloration on that outer layer those cuts go toward makin' jerky. Tim's recipe is just about exactly what I do, cept I use home mixed dry rub with some of our dried 'ghost pepper' dust for extra kick...

Otherwise, heck yeah! LOVE me some deer meat! Vension fajitas are one of my absolute favorites.

Leonard, if you do a whole leg roast, there is a lymph node/gland that needs removed before you cook it. Otherwise, that 'gamey' flavor will cook right into the meat & ruin it...

I remember being up with the guys at the farm, and one killed a small-ish doe with the bow. We broke that deer down and braised both front shoulders & shanks (on the bone). Browned it with garlic & onions on the stove top first, coated with flour, salt-pepper & rosemary, then into the pan with some homemade red wine & some more onions & taters.
Before it came out of the oven, I browned medallions of backstraps the same way, cooked to just barely med-rare in a cast iron skillet...

When the shoulder roasts came out of the oven, we literally peeled meat off the bones with our fingers like it was pulled pork. And the backstrap medallions browned in butter where incredible!

Have made alot of really good meals with deer meat, but that one really stands out...

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 08, 2017 05:10 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting, Fred. While I can't believe I overlooked excising that gland, all evidence points in that direction.

You know, everybody suggests medium rare on steaks, and that's fine, but I want mine a little more done, thank you.

Anybody with elk they can't eat can send it my way.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters