The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » California Carry?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: California Carry?
4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted April 29, 2017 11:20 AM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,

A friend and I were discussing handgun carry in different states. We talked about whether or not New Jersey is the only state that doesn't allow hollow point ammunition (it does provide exemptions for hunting ammunition).

So let me ask you...are there ammo and handgun restrictions in California? I know that Generation 4 Glocks cannot be sold there. And there are some restrictions on hunting ammo...like no lead?

Thanks..

Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted April 29, 2017 01:20 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Me and my son just bought Glocks. Him a 17 and me a 26. All gen 3. 4 not available prolly never will be.
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 29, 2017 04:16 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I get a newsletter every month published by the West End Gun Club. They usually have a page of recent additions and banned handguns in this fucked up state. Like, the new Kimber revolver is not sold here, I guess because it holds more than 6 rounds? Same with the 327S&W. Never mind that practically every pistol holds ten rounds, but 7 or 8 rounds in a revolver is bad? And, the assholes that decide these things for me don't know shit about firearms. And, they think I'm a dick for mentioning their lack of expertise.

All in all, if Kalifornia isn't the worst now, I have no doubt it soon will be.

But, no. Hollow points are not regulated at all, as far as I know?

But, we lead the world in protecting California Condors. Lead bullets are banned, as far as I know? I don't know if that includes 22 rimfire, I THINK NOT?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted April 29, 2017 04:50 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know which of our states is worse.
CrossJ
SECOND PLACE: PAUL RYAN Look-a-like contest
Member # 884

Icon 1 posted April 29, 2017 05:03 PM      Profile for CrossJ   Email CrossJ         Edit/Delete Post 
Why not gen4 glocks when gen3's are aloud? Curious minds and all

--------------------
A friend will help you move. A good friend will help you move a body.

Posts: 1025 | From: on a water tower | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted April 29, 2017 06:25 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Manufacturers have to submit each new firearm to a battery of tests, jumping thru hoops so they can sell that product here..getting on the "list". I have heard that Glock is not interested in doing that anymore. In other words...fuck you California.
Don't blame em really.
Mark
Edit.. Google California gun roster. Thats the list.

[ April 29, 2017, 06:35 PM: Message edited by: Lone Howl ]

--------------------

Grizz
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4626

Icon 1 posted April 29, 2017 09:30 PM      Profile for Grizz           Edit/Delete Post 
I have enough unlisted pistols I could ever want
Sigs, Kimber's, HK's. I aint worried about it. I'm into revolvers more anyway single actions. I collect Colt SAA's and Freedom Arms Model 83"s.
I'm outta here in a few years anyway. Rick

--------------------
I don't hunt with the pack.

Posts: 95 | From: So Cal | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted April 30, 2017 05:54 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Same attitude, but the question has been raised. What's this shit about third gen ok, fourth gen illegal? I assume that a fourth generation would be improved and more desirable?

Might that be the whole answer, that Glock has not submitted their newer models for evaluation? What would happen if my brother in Washington gave me a gen 4 Glock and I was caught with it in a stop and frisk? Folsom or San Quentin, heads or tails, no chance of parole after signing over title to my house to my ineffective lawyer?

On my Seacamp, I have the "California Edition" stamped right on the slide, right side. There is a little slide next to the trigger, very much like a lot of shotgun safeties. It's very small and difficult to get to and unnecessary. I think the reason it's unnecessary, in my opinion is because the trigger is so heavy, must be something like 20 lbs.? You have to deliberately want to fire this little gun but Kalifornia demands that it have a safety if you want to sell a pistol in this state. Never mind that it is recessed and the size of a paper match head and having half grown fingernails is helpful in deactivating the safety. And, it adds $50 to the price of the gun, but California wants to make sure the gun is safe when I let my infant play with it. Of course, if my life depends on it, it's 50/50 if I can manage to deactivate the "safety" in time.

So, that's what I think of consumer safety commissions that make sure your can opener doesn't malfunction and whack your finger off.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

4949shooter
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted April 30, 2017 12:44 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
Checked on Glocktalk regarding the Gen 3 / Gen 4 thing:

Got this answer from Cowboy1964:

quote:
Because Gen 4s are not CA-compliant (mag disconnect, etc). The only reason Gen 3s and older are "approved" is because they existed at the time that law was passed (2001) and were grandfathered in.

[ April 30, 2017, 12:45 PM: Message edited by: 4949shooter ]

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 01, 2017 10:24 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
So. While not a fan, here we have possibly the most popular handgun in 50 years, maybe 100? The "plastic" Glock. Police Departments all over the country are sold on Glocks, especially for people that have absolutely no experience with firearms. Because, if they DID have experience with firearms, it's doubtful that the Glock would appeal to any of them; for rather obvious reasons. #1 it looks like a fucking toy. A 1911? Now, that looks like an awesome weapon! Get it?

Then, we have the State of California deciding that it's citizens should not be allowed to own Glocks! I agree, in spirt. But, figure this out, the vast majority of the police and sheriff's departments in California issue Glocks to their sworn officers. Go figure the logic.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 01, 2017 11:31 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
"Logic" ?????..........In Calif. ????

BwaaaaHaaaaaHaaaaaaa !!!!!!!!!!!

Reality check; The last time I went to the bank I had a Ruger .380 LPC on my hip in a Sneaky Pete holster. Loaded with the high priced hollow points, too.
No one raised so much as an eyebrow & no laws were broken.
Try that in the Land of fruits & nuts.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
CrossJ
Member # 884

Icon 1 posted May 01, 2017 11:44 AM      Profile for CrossJ   Email CrossJ         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks 49 and LH...makes sense...if thats possible.

Lb, I understand where you are coming from on the glocks....I personally could give two shit$ about a pistol(unless its my ruger single six trap line pistol)....that said, my son in law was home back during the holidays and wanted to do some shooting. Now, I will preface this by saying that this young man is currently Army SF, and the glock 19 is what he carries at all times, and what they train with(1000's of rounds a week). His honest opinion is he cant think of a better sidearm for its intended purpose. The dependability was second to none (in his opinion), and its abilities in the hands of someone who has practiced/trained with it is on the same level. Watching him go through a series of plates using either hand still gives me the warm fuzzies. I asked him why so much hate for the glock....his reply was that there wasn't much to improve on, and that pisses everyone off.

--------------------

Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted May 01, 2017 01:24 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Lol exactly.

--------------------

4949shooter
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted May 01, 2017 01:54 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the story, CrossJ.

The Glock 19 is a damn fine weapon. We are issued the Gen 4 here at work. There must be a reason the Army, Navy, and Marine special forces use them. After all, they might know a thing or two about gun fighting.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 01, 2017 05:04 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Just speculating here. What is the Colt Model 1873 Peacemaker. A hundred and fifty years later, knowledgeable people still admire and value that firearm. And pay a premium to own one.

Take the Winchester 1894, they still make 'em and people pay top dollar.

Take a Government Model 1911 45ACP. With a few refinements, you can buy an Ed Brown gun for a little more than three grand. That's 106 years, more or less after introduction.

So, I'm wondering; in a hundred years, will men be handing down (with the same reverence) that Glock Model 17? I'm sure they will, but it will seem more like inheriting a set of Yokohama's with 35,000 miles on them. "Gee, thanks Dad, stack 'em over in the corner."

Good hunting. El Bee

Edit; also speculating, the young Army guy. He may not ever have fired any other weapon in his short life. I used to hear a lot of men say, the M1 Garand is by far the most accurate weapon I've ever fired. (And, the only one?)

edit: yeah, 49, they know a thing or two. These are the same guys that bought a Beretta a few years previous.

[ May 01, 2017, 05:12 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

CrossJ
Member # 884

Icon 1 posted May 01, 2017 06:16 PM      Profile for CrossJ   Email CrossJ         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Take the Winchester 1894, they still make 'em and people pay top dollar.
They do the same for wind up gold pocket watches also, but very few would pick them for an everyday time piece. All those firearms you mentioned have a nostalgic place in history, from Sgt Yorks 1911 to the 1894 immortalized by modern day westerns. To me though, a pistol is just the trump card over fists and knives. They are what you put between the car seats or by the bed because that really accurate bolt gun you found the perfect load for is a little unwieldy in the situation a pistol is better suited to. Maybe I just don't get it, the whole pistol snobbery thing. To me dependability should be the primary characteristic of a pistol...."accurizeing" one is like putting raceing stripes on a prius. I've seen enough to know one would be better off spending the money on practice and ammo than dropping a couple grand on a custom wilson combat 1911. But meh....I aint much of a pistol guy.

P.S. Lb, that young man is an Okie. He has been around firearms since a very early age. His dad served actively and is currently a state trooper. He also owns several other pistols, including an M&P I helped my daughter buy for him for christmas two years ago.

P.S.S On another note, he is not a big fan of the M4

--------------------

Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted May 02, 2017 04:31 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Well said Geordie I have a 1911 for exactly the reasons stated , its historical significance its just too heavy for EDC. I have my Glock 27 in .40 on my side at all times and on my nightstand while sleeping. I don't even know its there and it has never failed to cycle anything fed to it .
My 1911 In .45 is a very picky eater.

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 02, 2017 07:30 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I, myself am unsure what I was driving at? I have a visceral dislike for Glocks, so maybe that comes through in my commentary?

Geordie, for sure, I didn't mean to imply that "your" soldier was of limited knowledge, I was speaking in generalities. I have heard (for instance) people praise that M1, and finding that they have no experience with anything else. In fact, I, (myself) had never fired a centerfire rifle before enlisting So, there will be people that will swear by Glock, yet never even picked up a Sig. or an M&P. Or, the son who buys and swears by Fords because his Daddy always drove them, and he, (therefore) had never driven a real car.

I have a hard time believing that Glock has all the answers and nobody else knows how to build a halfway decent handgun. Maybe they shouldn't even try? Umm? Fuck Glock!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted May 02, 2017 10:15 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
I was a hater too Until ,I used one then what it looked like became very unimportant !

--------------------

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 02, 2017 10:46 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
And, God Bless You!

You understand the hate; if that's what it is?

I don't understand what a Glock does, that is beyond the capabilities of ordinary handguns?

Seriously, do more people shoot themselves with a Glock than with any other handgun? I don't know if that is a fair question, but it is a common question. I know the standard response too. Keep your finger out from the trigger guard. I am sure that most people that have had an accidental discharge were well aware of that admonition, and yet it happened.

Remember the video of the police instructor in front of the class who shot himself quite severely while preaching safety? Look it up on YouTube.

Us haters gotta hate!
Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted May 02, 2017 01:47 PM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Laughing my ass off !

--------------------

4949shooter
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted May 02, 2017 02:07 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't be a Glock snob Leonard!

What I can say is, before we recently switched over to Glocks where I work there were quite a few Glock haters among us. Having the plastic framed pistol forced on them made believers out of many! These guns tend to grow on you if you give them a chance.

They aren't pretty, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. They might not be looked upon in the future with the same reverence as 1911's, BAR's, M1 Garands, and Tommy guns, but they tend to work under adverse conditions. When our firearms unit tested the Glock alongside the Sig 320, with continuous shooting our guys melted the Sig down while the Glock kept chugging along.

Here is a pretty good video of a Glock meltdown test if you have the time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub4OswUhLwo

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters