The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Mountain Lion snatches lil doggy out of bedroom...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mountain Lion snatches lil doggy out of bedroom...
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted April 18, 2017 09:24 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Mountain-Lion-takes-small-dog-from-South-Bay-11 078690.php

[ April 18, 2017, 09:24 AM: Message edited by: Lone Howl ]

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted April 18, 2017 10:11 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody remember when that skank Ingrid Newkirk stated "A rat is a pig is a dog is a boy" ??
I'm no expert on Mountain Lions but when it comes to predation I'm pretty sure that most Mountain Lions would agree with that statement.
It's all meat..................

Can we also assume that Mountain Lions in an urbane area would indicate that the undeveloped areas have no more available territories ??

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7579 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 18, 2017 10:13 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I read that.

A couple things. First, the open door is a bad idea. Next, you have a small dog barking it's head off and people don't pay it any attention? What would it take to shake them out of Dreamland?

Also, speculating here but wouldn't you think the little dog would retreat to up on the pillow beside it's master that still won't wake up? What does the little guy have to do? I don't know but they don't need another watch dog, they need to AT LEAST keep the screen door closed, if for no other reason but the Mosquito vectors, stepping on a snake, the BTK murderer, etc. Some people are really stupid! Personally, I lock my doors.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: that whole coastal area has lots of green belts, tunnels under 101 for the critters to allow unfettered access. And, these are the first people to demand moratoriums on killing "endangered" lions.

[ April 18, 2017, 10:17 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31459 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moe
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted April 18, 2017 12:46 PM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
This is what happens when you let city people vote on how to manage wildlife rather than letting trained experts do it.

It's been years since this happened but in the Seattle area a woman was by a cougar in her driveway as she was going to her car and in San Diego another woman was killed by a cougar.

I used to work in North Central Washington. I had a meeting with a power company engineer. While we were talking a Blue Grouse came out of the woods and started pecking at my boots. It followed us around until it was time to leave. The power company guy mentioned the strange behavior of the bird. This was in the Fall so there wasn't a nest or anything.

A week later I had to meet with the guy again. He had a story to tell me. He got home from work and was sitting in his living room reading the paper when his dog on the front porch started barking wildly. Then he heard the barks get muffled and something was struggling against the front door. He got up and opened the door and his dog with its head in a cougar's mouth fell into the living room. In a panic he was looking for something to hit the cougar with. Finally he took off his slipper and started pounding the cat's head with it. The cougar let go and ran off. He called the sheriff and a deputy came out and told him that the cougar had been working its way down the road, houses are about 1/2 mile apart, killing dogs at each place about every other day.

They set up an ambush at the next house down the road a couple of days later and killed the cougar.

When someone submitted a referendum to stop hunting cougars with dogs and the people in the cities voted for it they started a cougar problem of mass proportion. It's the same here in Oregon. Cougar sightings are a common occurrence around here. One was even seen near the playground of a local school.

And the state is wondering why the Mule Deer herd is dwindling. Coyotes, Cougars and now wolves feasting on what's left.

At least in Washington and Oregon it's legal to hunt cougars, just not with dogs. Oh, the state brings guys in from Idaho to try to trim the cougar numbers and pays them well but a resident can't do it.

--------------------
I snatch kisses. And vice versa.

Posts: 593 | From: Oregon | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 18, 2017 01:17 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
And, it's not going to end well since the bunny huggers have gotten smart and infiltrated the Dept of Fish and Game. We ain't got a chance. Forget game management, now we go by Disney rules for "little people in fur coats".

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: PS who the fuck makes those rules? "not with dogs" how the hell do they justify that?

[ April 18, 2017, 01:18 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

NVWalt
Does not claim to be overly bright!
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted April 18, 2017 01:59 PM      Profile for NVWalt           Edit/Delete Post 
Way cool. They made their bed. Now let them sleep in it.LOL Go cougars, Go.
Maybe thats why in Nevada along the border with Commifornia they can pretty much shoot as many as they can catch. Well, 2 tags per person anyways. But they made the situation so screw them and I hope it becomes a very serious problem for those retarded bastards.

--------------------
Support Communism and help destroy the United States of America ! VOTE DEMOCRAT. "In the end, they aren't coming after me. They are coming after you!" D.Trump

Posts: 636 | From: Tellico Plains, TN | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
NVWalt
Does not claim to be overly bright!
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted April 18, 2017 02:01 PM      Profile for NVWalt           Edit/Delete Post 
and no I really don't give one turd for those people.

--------------------
Support Communism and help destroy the United States of America ! VOTE DEMOCRAT. "In the end, they aren't coming after me. They are coming after you!" D.Trump

Posts: 636 | From: Tellico Plains, TN | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted April 18, 2017 04:53 PM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't think of which commercial this brings to mind, but a lady lets her cat out and at some point she lets it back in, only it's a raccoon that comes in. For some reason her vision is blurry so she doesn't realize the coon came instead of kitty.
But really, this is just another story that shows how stupid people really are.

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted April 20, 2017 10:58 AM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
Lion kills deer on a front porch:

http://video.foxnews.com/v/5249370075001/?#sp=show-clips

Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted April 20, 2017 12:48 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL...true story...lived in the country for a few years, and one night we let our cat out the front door. When he wanted to come in he would scratch on the screen door, attached to the actual door (obviously). So one night we keep hearing this scratching over and over and over, and my wife gets up , irritated, and says "That damn cat!" and flung the door open...only to find 2 big ass possums hanging on the screen door right at eye level. She screamed her ass off and not long after that I had to move to town : (

Mark

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 20, 2017 05:19 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate to break it to ya, but as civilized as it gets, here in Southern California, there may not be any wild animals but there are opossums, everywhere! I used to have one that would crawl into the bag of dog chow, and if it wasn't opened yet, chew a hole in the corner. Then, he would curl up in the corner, if it was getting close to daylight, might as well wait until later tonight. Right along with roaches, possums will be with us including the nuclear winter, should it happen.

Actually, I've heard they make fair pet? I have quite a few in the immediate neighborhood.

Good hunting. El Bee

[ April 20, 2017, 05:19 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted April 20, 2017 06:10 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
I do know people that have had them as pets.
In that same house I had a large family of them living in the attic. Heard them every night. Scared the shit out of the wife (again). I climbed on the roof and discovered a big hole in the semi attached garage and they were making thier way into the attic. I pulled out one of my cage traps and put a can of cat food in it, I couldnt even get down the ladder without hearing "kerching"...cage door dropping. Trapped like 10 or 12 of the damn things.
Mark

--------------------

knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted April 21, 2017 03:48 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Pre-Pokey era, we useta have some nasty azz guard dogs here at the shop. They'd try to kill anything that moved, two or four legged. (BTW we named one "OJ" cuz we found him running wild down the street on the same day as the famous OJ Bronco chase)

When I worked nights, I'd bring "OJ" into the office with me, and he LOVED me for it. And I'd always let OJ out in the back building to get some fun time, before putting him back on his chain. He was a rat killer extraordinaire, and would dive into piles of paper after a rat like a fox thru a skiff of fresh snow on Nat Geo. Fun stuff!

Anyhoo, one night OJ got him the biggest 'rat' he ever saw! He actually saw it in the yard across the street and ran over there to grab it up. OJ NEVER ran off our property until that night, and I kinda panicked. But just as quick, he came trotting back proudly like a Lab bringin' a goose, cept there was a HUGE possum hanging outta both ends of his mouth. If I ever saw a dog smile, OJ was smiling that night...

[ April 21, 2017, 03:48 AM: Message edited by: knockemdown ]

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 21, 2017 06:08 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that's what I do, cage trap and a can of cat food=caught possum.

Just a few days ago, I walked by my cage which still had the back door open to let the possum go. I knew the empty cat food can was still inside and weeks old. But, suddenly, the can wasn't there? By process of elimination, since a stray cat is not stupid enough to walk into a cage to get an empty can, but a possum is stupid enough.

But still, I don't begrudge them anything, they are pretty harmless. And, with dogs, totally defenseless. It's funny how cats will studiously avoid even looking at them.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters