The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Back surgery

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Back surgery
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2017 08:11 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone out in radio land here had back surgery?

Had an MRI on my lower back a couple of weeks ago and found I have a case of spinal stenosis.

Not much pain, but when I stand or walk for any length of time, my legs go numb. I can sit down or bend over and it goes away almost immediately, but comes right back after I straighten up.

Have a consult with a surgeon on the 3rd of May. Guess they can take care of it with a new laser procedure that is minimally invasive.

Just wondering if anyone has had that issue and how it turned out.

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2017 02:45 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of mine has spinal stenosis.

Surgery halted the degeneration but did not cure it. In other words, he shouldn't be getting any worse. He shoots handguns and works around the house okay.

He won't ever be back to 100% though. But he didn't have the laser surgery either.

Best of luck to you..

Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 14, 2017 03:40 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I have spinal stenosis. MRI diagnosis about 8 years ago. (between L 2, L 3 , L 4 and L 5) by same orthopedic surgeon that did my knee replacement, but doesn't do spine so referred me and I had an evaluation by a spinal surgeon. He said 3 out of 5 spinal surgeons would recommend surgery but he wasn't one of them as long as medication controlled the pain. And that's where I've bee ever since. I'm not eager to go under the knife. I take 3, 30 mg. morphine sulfate TR, a day and it does work except very rarely when I take a 325 10 Hydrocodone for "breakout pain" which happens seldom.

I know a few people with bad backs and one old Army buddy I ran into at the Pharmacy getting his prescription filled for Hydrocodone and he takes 6 every day! I told him to ask about morphine, but haven't heard? The thing is, these doctors are afraid to prescribe morphine but it works great for me. And, I am hooked on it. If I'm out or forget, my body lets me know. It's highly controlled and maybe they don't want to deal with it? But, it's nothing to mess with; respect the drug.

The last time I saw my primary Dr, he did a bunch of panels for various things and one was an opioid screen that cost $450. I need to ask him why, when I see him in a couple weeks.

I have to get it in person, they won't mail order it. Show ID every time. Still worth it.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted April 17, 2017 09:48 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, guys!

LB...I can handle the pain, and if that is all it was, I would be great. I would like to walk farther than 400 yards without my right leg going numb from the outside of my thigh down to the top of my foot.

[ April 17, 2017, 09:48 AM: Message edited by: booger ]

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 17, 2017 11:06 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but that's part of it. When you have any kind of "friction" within the spinal column because of the stenosis, movements and bending, twisting, etc. can put that pressure in places one time and other places, other times.

I get sciatic nerve "pain" that has to be experienced to understand, but I also have a numbness in both feet and the toes at certain times. Let's not forget about the Lumbar pain that comes and goes.

Anyway, do the best you can, not much else you can do. For me, the morphine is a benefit beyond what I had before it was prescribed, the difference is very dramatic. I'm very thankful that the pain is fairly well controlled. Before, standing for five minutes was about my limit, much less walking 400 yards. Truthfully, there are virtually no side effects, I don't feel drugged. However, I sure as hell have to restrict my alcohol, (one glass) but I never drank much anyways.

That's my solution, might not work for everybody, but I'm doing okay....at least on that issue.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 18, 2017 08:14 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
For those that may be curious, spinal stenosis is a relatively uncommon degenerative genetic disease. I don't think they know what causes it, but it's not something that will cure itself.

Imagine a hole in the middle of each of your vertebrae from Atlas to the Coccyx. Through this passes a bundle of nerves called the spinal cord. I think "stenosis" means a narrowing of the opening in a triangular fashion instead of the normal round passageway. Imagine bending and twisting and like a garden hose might get a kink in it. Imagine drinking your mike shake while your girlfriend pinches the straw, that's kinda like what happens with sideways pressure on these nerves, anywhere along the length.

Well, any kind of side pressure can aggravate these clumps of nerves and you will feel the strangest sensations and pain like you have never experienced before. Like booger mentioned, it frequently manifests itself as numbness.

Now, imagine the surgery, separating your spine and going in there with a little "dremmel tool" or maybe a laser and rounding out the triangular opening in however many vertebra as needed and then putting them back together, (with screws) so that they don't touch the spinal cord itself.

There is no guarantee that the abnormal growth won't return, much like bone spurs. Thinking about "what could go wrong" made me decide against surgery. I have seen a few people really fucked up by spinal surgery and I'm against it and will avoid it for as long as possible.

I'm lucky that my medication controls the pain. You know, back pain can be extremely debilitating, so everyone has to make their own decisions, but for right now, I'm good.

Good hunting. El Bee

[ April 18, 2017, 08:19 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted April 19, 2017 06:45 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
LB,
You have just officially scared the crap out of me!

I need to do something, and surgery is my only option. I am 55, and need to be able to walk without numbness and pain so I can shoot more coyotes!

Will keep you updated!

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 19, 2017 06:57 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I hear ya. Keep this in mind: It's progressive. And, not something you learn to live with.

Good luck, El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted April 19, 2017 11:46 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
I have heard some good things about the Laser Spine Institute in Scottsdale minimally invasive back to work the next day. The technology has changed greatly and the can now do some great that surgery of the past would have left you screwed for life and only a time machine would help so you could go back and never have the first surgery !

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 19, 2017 08:19 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Me too, Paul.

But, unless something drastic changes, I'm not. I'm with Kaiser and they aren't in Arizona. I'd probably have to do it on my dime, something I sure as hell can't afford.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters