The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Old School Jacket....help. (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Old School Jacket....help.
Moe
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted April 08, 2017 01:09 PM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to visit him in Nevada as I was driving right through where he lived. He died a few days before my trip.

Danny and I had a few private conversations regarding hunting. I was surprised that he'd found every damned one of my favorite areas. Trouble was he'd tell anyone and everyone where they were since he didn't hunt there anymore. I made an annual trip and did still hunt there. One time as I was headed one direction on a dirt road I passed a couple of guys all dressed in camo going the other way. I recognized them from pictures on a predator hunting website. I didn't stop.

--------------------
I snatch kisses. And vice versa.

Posts: 593 | From: Oregon | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged
Grizz
Member # 4626

Icon 1 posted April 10, 2017 04:04 PM      Profile for Grizz           Edit/Delete Post 
I was at a Memorial hunt check in 6/7 years back and clever Gary was bloviating to jamroz that a coyote bit him on one of his close cover shotgun stands and that he was able to slay the beast as it ran off ran off and get it tested for rabies otherwise he would have won the hunt. My BS detector went off.

--------------------
I don't hunt with the pack.

Posts: 95 | From: So Cal | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged
Moe
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted April 10, 2017 06:59 PM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of years have gone by but when I was going to college in California I worked part time for a veterinarian. Occasionally I had to go to an animal shelter run by the county. They had a dog with rabies and it was under observation. A kid got bit by the dog and they locked it up to see if it started displaying the kind of behavior rabid dogs display.

Bottom line here is back then the animal had to be kept alive in order to test it for rabies. A dead animal couldn't be tested.

On another site I once told the story of when I was making a daytime stand a coyote came in hot and jumped on me trying to bite my face. It's a true story. Any way Gary told me he'd once been bitten on the hand by a coyote that came in behind him. I know that Murray Burnham got a bad bite from a coyote down in Texas so it happens. I didn't get bit but I did get pretty shook up. That coyote made a clean getaway. My rifle was jammed.

--------------------
I snatch kisses. And vice versa.

Posts: 593 | From: Oregon | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 11, 2017 06:55 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Like everybody else, I have had gray fox walk across my legs on a stand, and I have had a coyote in a face to face stare down, on several occasions. They never seemed aggressive, after the recognition point, they get scared? Then there was the time one attacked me in deep snow that scared the bejeebers out of me just because I was chasing him.

Gary is not a he man type, I can't picture him fighting his way out of a Honky Tonk on a Saturday night? I could slap his face and he'd get upset and call me names. He certainly wouldn't get down in the mud with man nor beast.

Anyway, from what little I know about rabies, there are two types, one being the "dumb" and docile type and the other aggressive and foaming. I actually had the rabies procedure when I was very little and don't really have a memory of it. But, I'm not sure if you can afford to wait and see if a normally appearing animal suddenly develops symptoms?

Long way of agreeing with Grizz's BS meter.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters