The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Old School Jacket....help. (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Old School Jacket....help.
Alaskan Yoter
Knows what it's all about
Member # 169

Icon 1 posted April 02, 2017 12:19 PM      Profile for Alaskan Yoter           Edit/Delete Post 
What can ya guys tell me about this and do any of ya know Chris?

Let's see if I can get this to work, it's been while.

-

-

-

-

-

[ April 02, 2017, 12:26 PM: Message edited by: Alaskan Yoter ]

Posts: 235 | From: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted April 02, 2017 01:38 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Neato

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 02, 2017 03:25 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I know him? That was the chapter that Danny Batistini belonged to, before he joined High Desert.

There is a member who checks in here once in a while that would probably know who "Chris" is? His screen name is Grizz.

Doug Redding and Granville Crow were members of Coast. I can try an email, see if any of those old members might know this guy.

We had a terrible time getting those jackets, Lee quit making them. Mine shrunk, and I mean literally, so I just transferred my pins to a camo jacket.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alaskan Yoter
Member # 169

Icon 1 posted April 02, 2017 04:44 PM      Profile for Alaskan Yoter           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Leonard. I think this one may have shrunk too or Chris was as petite as my 16 year old daughter. [Big Grin]

There is one silver round pin like those on the left pocket, in the right pocket. Not sure if was earned and not put on, or was about to be earned and stored in the pocket.

Grizz
Member # 4626

Icon 1 posted April 02, 2017 08:57 PM      Profile for Grizz           Edit/Delete Post 
That's a Coast Chapter jacket. I joined Coast in 1980 and was a member until the State Association dissolved in 96 there bouts I have no idea who this "Cris" is. Danny Batistini was not a member of Coast Chapter at least not while I was a member. Regards, Rick.

--------------------
I don't hunt with the pack.

Posts: 95 | From: So Cal | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged
Grizz
Member # 4626

Icon 1 posted April 02, 2017 09:00 PM      Profile for Grizz           Edit/Delete Post 
Also Redding Crow also were not members of Coast. Rick

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 03, 2017 06:52 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, thanks for the input, Rick. However, I'm not sure I agree with you about those guys, before you were a member? I mean, if they weren't with Coast, the only other possibility I can think of is "SoCal"? Not that it matters much. Maybe National?

Anyway, this Chris, must have been a relatively new member because he only had the 2 coyote pins, 2 fox pins and just one bobcat pin. It doesn't take long to earn those, assuming a man gets out and hunts. Also, no state hunt patches. It's easy to understand if not many people would know him. Kinda funny, but a lot of the time, we associated members by their rigs. Just like Rick's; clean and spotless, always looked like it never left the pavement? lol (just kidding)

Good hunting. El bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Alaskan Yoter
Member # 169

Icon 1 posted April 03, 2017 07:43 AM      Profile for Alaskan Yoter           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks fellas, I was wondering what thye had to do to earn the pins.
Grizz
Member # 4626

Icon 1 posted April 03, 2017 08:30 AM      Profile for Grizz           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Crow was President for life over at So Cal and that's where Redding was a member also.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 03, 2017 09:01 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Those pins are earned when they turn in a certain number of tails along with a kill report listing the conditions, like moon phase wind conditions, location, etc.

Wow, has it been that long? I "think" you needed 3 bobcat for one pin, and 5 coyote for one pin. A fox pin required 4 tails. 2 Badgers earned a pin, a single lion and a single wolf earned a pin.

These pins and awards were documented very carefully on the chapter and State level. When a member turned in seven times the number required for a pin, they were awarded a trophy. For instance, 35 coyotes, 28 fox, 14 badgers and 21 bobcats received a nice trophy. Beyond that, a member received an award for 100 total animals, 250 animals and 500 animals, etc. These included a jacket patch, 100, 250, etc.

So, as you can see, Chris didn't get very far, although, believe it, when they got any award, it was a pretty big deal. I remember very well, my first hunt trophy....maybe because they misspelled my name. lol

Anyway, these pins and awards were an important part of the monthly meetings, kinda stimulated participation, ya know? Other than rubbing elbows with the bigshots, everybody liked to get up on stage and receive an award, so that was an incentive for attending meetings, even in the off season. We didn't hunt between February and June, which we called the denning season and some clubs didn't accept tails during that time, although there was no rule that a man couldn't go out and hunt on his own. Just no Club sanctioned hunts during denning season.

So, usually, there were 8 Club hunts a year and three State hunts, ran concurrently. In other words, for example, we might schedule the State Daylight hunt in January and the separate clubs would hold their "Club Hunts" within the same structure and if a team didn't place on the State level, they might still win something, first second or third within their club.

So, although I'm not really familiar with things in the Coast Chapter, those round pins might be awards for placing on the chapter hunts, of which there were at least 8 every year. And, I notice those pins were different colors, gold, silver and bronze so they may represent placing on a club hunt? Very likely, in fact.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: Grizz, I think you are correct about Redding and Granville belonging to SoCal, but I never heard anything about president for life? You know, Granville started his own, (separate) sportsman's club, somewhere down in the south bay. Maybe that's what you are thinking of? Granville drove a red Ferrari, kinda hard to miss. lol

edit: I used to work with a guy named John Santisteven who was a member of Coast Chapter. Maybe you might know him?

edit: one thing I thought was rather shabby. Riverside used to charge their members, (I think $3) for every tail turned in. This was to offset the cost of the trophies, which actually cost a lot of money, maybe $100 for each one?

[ April 03, 2017, 09:14 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Alaskan Yoter
Member # 169

Icon 1 posted April 03, 2017 10:51 AM      Profile for Alaskan Yoter           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the great history lesson Leonard!! Some of were just raised at the wrong time. [Big Grin]
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 03, 2017 02:29 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you know these chapters were spread all over southern California, as far as San Diego and Atascadero, and inland as far as High Desert up in Victorville. Therefore, it was very possible to not know everybody....unless they attended the State Board meetings, in Norwalk.

So, I confess. I got Coast Chapter mixed up with SoCal. both located along the "coast" as was Orange County Chapter and National. I belonged to the Covina Chapter and mostly the San Gabriel Valley Chapter, actually very close, as the crow flies. But there was a rule against "dual" memberships, so if you got pissed off at somebody, (as I did) you just joined another club. These things were very competitive, I might mention. A lot of effort for awards and trophies. We tried cash one year but quickly learned that it brought out some bad things; like cheating.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: PS how did you happen to come into possession of this jacket belonging to someone you didn't know?

[ April 03, 2017, 02:33 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Alaskan Yoter
Member # 169

Icon 1 posted April 03, 2017 02:50 PM      Profile for Alaskan Yoter           Edit/Delete Post 
Picked it from a thrift shop seller while adding to the collection. [Big Grin]
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 04, 2017 07:16 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Seems like those jackets cost members around $40? At the time, a bit pricy. As time went on, a bit of a headache, procurement wise.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Moe
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted April 05, 2017 07:57 AM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
When I was in the club there was no Coast chapter.

I never had a jacket because they didn't make them in tall men's sizes. I just kept my pins on a card.

Back when I was in the club it took 4 foxes, 3 bobcats, 7 coyotes, 3 badgers, 1 cougar and one wolf for a pin. I have no idea of what the round pins are about.

I moved away from Southern California and moved to Alaska. One morning we were staying in the middle cabins on the Situk River where we were fishing for steelhead. I called in several wolves and killed 2 of them that morning. I called them in with frying bacon on an oil stove. Not the sound but real frying bacon. Shot them both with a 338. No pins since I'd quit the club. I also killed a couple of cougars that I never turned in for pins.

When I got divorced my ex tossed out all of my trophies and what pins she could find. The rest I gave to Gary Clevenger because he said he was trying to come up with ideas for a new club or something. But I have a lot of good memories.

--------------------
I snatch kisses. And vice versa.

Posts: 593 | From: Oregon | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 05, 2017 11:39 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Moe, you just broke my heart! Gary Clevenger is an evil son of a bitch and is almost the single reason for the break up of the California State Varmint Callers Association! Along with Don Jamroz, dishonorable mention; but Gary was the main prick. Make n mistake, those two from Orange County broke up the State organization. When they couldn't get San Gabriel Chapter kicked out, they settled for a scorched earth approach.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Grizz
Member # 4626

Icon 1 posted April 05, 2017 08:02 PM      Profile for Grizz           Edit/Delete Post 
Clever Gary must be the worst of the two cause they threw him out of Orange county.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 14 posted April 06, 2017 05:54 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't know that? I know a lot of shit about Clever Gary but I didn't know that?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Moe
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2017 03:12 PM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
In my defense, LB, I didn't know anything about Gary back then. He asked for whatever merchandise anyone had from the old club because he was trying to have stuff for a new club made. I would not do it again.

After reading his tirade in the PP website I saw the damage he was trying to do to the California club. Yes, scorched earth.

No one has explained to me exactly why the CSVCA folded. I was disappointed when I moved back from Alaska and settled down to find them gone. I had a few good friends in the Pasadena chapter where I was a member and I never found them.

--------------------

Grizz
Member # 4626

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2017 07:46 PM      Profile for Grizz           Edit/Delete Post 
Clever Gary's latest thing is he's calling anyone who hatch hunts poachers. Funny, from what I understand he owned two hatch rigs.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2017 05:48 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Moe, I think all the old members were and still are a bit bewildered as to why the Club folded. I was there, and I do and I don't. I'm just telling you, Gary Clevenger mounted a personal attack because he was jealous! The poor baby never won a damned thing.

I have all the old records, and I can prove that Gary participated but he never won and it must have bothered him greatly? He spent some time revising the club bylaws and the rest of us were not as motivated and it pissed him off. I mean, as an example, look at the Byzantine way the US Congress is run?

Anyway, in the course of a single Board meeting, it went from kicking the San Gabriel Chapter out of the club to dissolving the State Organization when he couldn't kick us out, because it turned out that he didn't have any friends. A Club that had been around for approaching 50 years!

Another part is like Burke said; all it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing....or something like that? And it really is a bit rich that he wants to create a new club!

Gary started having some success making stands in very heavy cover with a shotgun. This is fine but then as all assholes do, he has waged a campaign against those of us that hunted from the truck at night. Thinking about it, it's the Liberal playbook, everything must be done my way, or else. He's not a dummy, but he is twisted, and a pretty good con artist. How could it help his causes, by asking Moe to give him all his CVCA awards? I can't figure out his advantage, but he does have a 10% Hitler personality.

When you think of the way that the Club survived as an institution, for as long as it did, and the way it was dismantled, it's really a pity. Anyway, all water under the bridge.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: yes, Moe. Pasadena was Chapter #1 and it was one of the first to fold, must have been in the very early 1970's? The condensed story about the name change: we apparently lost our copyright to "CVCA" and whoever gained the authority, I never found out because I wasn't involved at the State level, at the time. The solution was to reapply and change the name with the California State Franchise Board. so....We became the "CSVCA", CALIFORNIA STATE VARMINT CALLERS ASSOCIATION.

[ April 07, 2017, 05:58 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Moe
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2017 07:05 PM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
I never hunted from a hatch. Oh, I would have but I never had the money to buy a camper much less have a hatch. For most of the years I hunted with the club I hunted from a '62 Ford Falcon Ranchero. No 4WD or off road stuff yet I went off road all of the time. The last couple of years I managed to buy a Chevy truck. Still no 4WD. It had a 6 cylinder engine but it got us where we needed to go.

As many times as we were checked out by deputy sheriffs, CHP and game wardens we never got a citation or even a warning. In my life I got one citation while I was duck hunting. I wore a camo jacket waterfowl hunting that I had previously worn dove hunting and I missed a single lead shotgun shell that the warden found. It was caught in a hidden pocket inside the regular shell pocket. It cost me $60. I wasn't about to use a dove load for ducks but it was the letter of the law.

I've got a lot to say about my own observations of Gary but I'm not going to go into it. No point at this time.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 08, 2017 06:41 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
A reliable story I heard from a man that knew Gary in grade school, somewhere in Bell Gardens, or that general area? He told me that his name wasn't Clenvenger, but I don't remember what it was?

Anyway, Gary apparently had a grandfather who had considerable money and was in declining health. He told Gary that he would give him all his money, (small millions) if he would take care of him.

So, he changed his name to Clevenger which was his grandfather's name, apparently from his mother's side of the family and gained legal authority over his grandfather's assets.

The, he put granddad in a home, and bought a very nice property out in the Santa Clarita area and continues to dabble in day trading.

I'm pretty sure that Gray hasn't held a legitimate job in several decades.

Never heard what happened to granddad, but we can assume that he's long gone. Brings a tear to your eye, donut?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Moe
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted April 08, 2017 10:30 AM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
I have to wonder where those guys from PP have gone.
Danny had a lot of followers and for them and his girlfriend it's a shame his writings were taken down.

Like I said, there's more I could say about what I observed but it's probably best left unsaid. I'd be preaching to the choir anyway.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 08, 2017 11:45 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Category of small world: You know that Danny and I went to school together, right? He attended one of our campouts a few years ago soon after he had one lung removed and the doctors at the Reno VA hospital pronounced him cancer free. I think he died about six months later? That's a diagnosis I am always suspicious of...."cancer free".

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: not his girlfriend, I think she was his third wife? She owned a chain of shoe stores back east. Last time I saw him, (and her) was driving freeway right through downtown Las Vegas in a red Jeep. I was in the fast lane, he was in the far right. I slowed down to check him out. We waved.

[ April 08, 2017, 11:50 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters