The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Book reports

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Book reports
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted March 21, 2017 06:02 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Been doing a lot of reading these days. For anyone interested in stories about Injun culture, I would highly recommend the book, Stone Song, by Win Blevins. This is a great recounting of the life of Crazy Horse. I got it for free on a book service app on my phone and my first impression was, "Meh", but then I thought what the hell. Turns out it was a real page turner and really does an excellent job of illustrating the Plains Indian culture, their sense of honor, counting coup, and the like. Worth the time to read.

Tonight, I just received a copy of a real thriller, "OCD-like behavior is caused by dysfunction of thalamo-amydala circuits and upregulated TrkB/ERK-MAPK signaling as a result of SPRED2 deficiency", by M. Ullrich, et.al, University of Wuerzburg in the Motherland, Germany.

Probably won't be able to sleep a wink! LOL Now, where did I put that highlighter?

(My daughter's doctor is sometimes amazed at some of the shit I bring to meetings so I can ask him if this might not be something worth looking at.)

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 22, 2017 05:46 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You are a true party animal, Lance!

I have an interest in native American culture, myself. I've read several dozen books on this unique subject.

Good hunting.El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31494 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted March 22, 2017 11:48 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool, Lance! Just read a book by James R. Mead, one of the founders of Wichita, KS.

It is called Hunting and Trading on the Great Plains--1859-1879. Great read.

Wish I would have had the OCD book when our nephews lived with us...I could have understood the malady much better.

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted March 22, 2017 04:57 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
I love to read. Unfortunately I don't read as much as I used to, but I recently rediscovered my Kindle and have read several good books the last couple months.

Back to Crazy Horse. A couple years ago I read "The Killing of Crazy Horse" by Thomas Powers and it was a good read. I most recently read a book on the voyage of Magellon: "Over the Edge of the World" The earth was a big place back in the early 15th century...

Even though I spend many evenings reading for 30 minutes or so, my kids almost never read except what they have to. Oh sure, they mess with their phones a lot, but never crack open a book for recreational reading. I'm wondering if reading books, is something the young just don't do anymore?

There isn't even a real bookstore in my hometown anymore. The library is close to an hour round trip so that's not an easy thing. Purchasing the Amazon Kindle books are almost to easy. I have to pace myself or it would be pretty easy to spend a $100 a month on books.

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted March 22, 2017 05:28 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Lonny,

Go to bookbub.com on your phone and download their app. You get to set up your preferences and then, every day they deliver 5-7 e-books to my gmail account ranging in price from free to as much as 2.99, with most at .99. I've found some damned good books on their for free and usually load up 2-3 per week to my icloud, then rotate books on and off my device. Mine is set up to read them thru my kindle app. I've passed this along to several people and one gal loaded up 75 books the first two evenings after she got it. I went a long time where I really didn't read much. Write? Yes. Read? No. My wife and daughter are both voracious readers. As much as not anymore, I'd rather read a good book than have to suffer through a movie. The imagery of the "scenes" in my head are much more memorable than what I find on the tube or Netflix.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted March 22, 2017 05:38 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the tip!

Same here. We have Netflix and I can spend 15 minutes going through choices and end up with nothing to watch or cutting out early in a movie.

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2017 04:51 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Been a constant reader since I first learned how.

Very hard to find time to "sit down" with a real book anymore though. So for some years, I've been doing mostly audio books. I try to walk four or five miles every day after work and weekend mornings, all weather, and the audio books are perfect for that. Long drives by myself, which I do a lot of, they are good too.

I have an Audibles account. Which, is probably about the most expensive way to go about it at $15 a month. But it's well worth it to me.

Way back, when I had time and read "real books" I averaged about a book a week. Now it's a little over a book a month. Kinda funny though, with the audio books, I tend to think of them in miles. War and Peace was good for over 200 miles of walking, LOL!

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2017 06:42 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Funny you mentioned that, Dave.
Just cashed in some 'rewards points' for a set of bluetooth earbuds. The ability to enjoy audio books 'on the go' was another good reason to get 'em...

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2017 07:27 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm ashamed to admit that I read about twenty books a month. Might sound like I'm vegetating?

Anyway, I browse thrift shops. It's amazing what you can find. Just for instance, I bought a coffee table book that has everything you ever wanted to know about IOWA CLASS BATTLESHIPS for $3. Another one about every Naval Battle in the last 4,000 years, both of them probably retailed for at least fifty bucks.

I just finished a history of Winston Churchill, 800 pages and it only covered up to 1940, I have to get on Amazon to buy the other two volumes. Lately, I have been scrounging every Robin Cook novel I can find, I've read about half, so far but I keep my eyes peeled. Anyway, I prefer hardcover and I keep every book I've ever read. I almost always bring home a NY Times bestseller when I go to Costco. Another I"m hooked on and have been forever is Tom Clancy. He's gone but there are a couple that write under his name and I have read all of those so far. I've read every Ludlum and every spy novel I can find. There is a lot to be found at the Goodwill Store. I'm a fast reader. I invested in Evelyn Wood's Reading Dynamics in college and some of it stuck.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31494 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters