The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Kingman... (Burger thread)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Kingman... (Burger thread)
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2017 11:21 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
..has In n Out Burger?
Did some calling over there last year, couple times, and I never noticed it till I left the last time!

Guess I need to pay better attention.
Mark

[ February 22, 2017, 10:53 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2017 11:34 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
The very best burger I ever had was at a little café in Kingman ,you know the kind that drips down your chin not a dried up little patty it was incredible hope I can find it if I ever go back not that I can eat it , but my wife can!

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2017 06:32 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I, in fact noticed that In N Out driving back from Paul's place last time. You know there are probably a half a dozen in Las Vegas? The biggest one I have ever seen is in Lenwood, just outside of Barstow, CA. It's hard to visualize an In N Out that is between three and four times the size of all the rest, actually incredible, when you have been patronizing this business since I was a freshman in high school, (like) 60 years ago. In fact, the one I always went to was, is now the corporate headquarters in Baldwin Park, so I know the inside of a burger joint when I see it. The reason for such a huge business is that you have to understand the traffic every weekend between LA and Las Vegas. Then consider the logical place to gas up and that Lenwood facility gets a huge amount of business on Friday nite and Sunday afternoon.

The one we have here in Upland is like a throwback. Very retro, no inside dining, but it does have a huge set of crossed palm trees and a patio with the concrete tables and benches. I only have four around here, within 5-6 miles.

Oh, and I noticed where the new Tommy's is! It's right across the street from Montclair Costco, and next to a Jersey Mike's. I must make it a point to stop there soon. I wish I was as completely aware of my bowel movements as is ko ko who can tell us precisely that it is a Tommy's Chili Cheeseburger that causes him his distress with irregularity. Me, I haven't a clue, it just comes and goes, a true miracle.

Good hunting. El Bee

PS You know the Burger chain that pretty much sucks? Sonic. Don't even go there. The jury is still out on 5 Guys, but another one that I'm suspicious of is Red Robin and their list of ten dollar burgers. In N Out just raised their prices for a #1 by a half a buck; had to happen, I guess?

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31472 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2017 10:37 AM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose it's what you grew up with. I cut my burger teeth on the ole A&P BBQ Pit in Douglas Az back in the day. A mom and pop place with their two boys helping in summer and vacation time. They raised their own beef, the ole man ran a meat processing place too, so the meat was out of this world.
They had a small place, no sitting area, just order for take out or small patio out front. Big mesquite fired grill right in front where you ordered. Huge patty, big bun, fresh toppings, best burger Ive ever had.
Burgers like In and Out, Wendy's, Mickey Ds etc, just seem blah,a bland, gray, flat top fried thin piece of meat, I prefer grilled burger.
When the only choice is a conventional fried burger, my choice would be Culvers, way out classes in&out or McDonalds to my mind.

[ February 21, 2017, 10:38 AM: Message edited by: Az-Hunter ]

Posts: 1630 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 22, 2017 06:05 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a lot of merit in the above post.

However, what he's talking about is sorta like the burger you would make home brew, on your own BBQ. Even then, there is a point where all that stuff falls out the back after two bites, especially if you have some slippery cheese in there.

The thing is; you know what you're getting, when you go to a favorite spot.

And, by the way, Mr Carlson. I have mentioned before, when I was stationed down your way at Eglin. There was an A&W Root Beer Stand that sold a damned good "Choctaw Burger" that was as good as any California style burger on the planet. I THINK it was in Valperizo? My spellchecker says that's wrong but it's right next to Ft Walton Beach, on the east side. Look for it, might be worth it?

And, that's another thing. In N Out is like a time machine, brings me back to when just us kids were deciding where to go and what to get and that was the local hang out. And, its never changed, if you liked it then, you will still like it.

But, a fried burger, crisp on the outside, slice of onion and the basic stuff will satisfy. For some reason, when I make my own, I can never eat two? And, I never tried to do two paddies on my grill in the same bun. I think it's like forming meatballs, when you make a burger with your hands, they aren't flat enough to stack two of them.

This is making me hungry, and I haven't had breakfast.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted February 22, 2017 07:22 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Main reasons I hit In N Out...

It's the closest burger dump to my house. Within walking distance.

It makes a cheap turd. Can feed the family of four for less than $30.

Most important thing though, everyone who works there speaks perfect English and my order is always correct.

As far as the burgers themselves? Their fine. Better than most corp crap, for sure.

Not nearly on the level of a decent Greek burger dump, but for the price and taking everything else into consideration, a good Greek burger dump is not a fair comparison anyway.

If I'm going to pay up for burger fare, local outfit, Tony Burger, kicks the dog shit out of Five Guys. And you don't have to sit through the whole SNL skit bullshit or wade through sacks of potatoes like Five Guys.

Anyway... Bang for the buck, In N Out is the clear winner to me. Want a really decent burger, just pick a Greek burger dump. Want to pay crazy money for a really good burger, Tony Burger.

No Fatburger around here. I'll stop there if I see one while out and about though.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 22, 2017 10:48 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
PS I always specify "Well Done" which eliminates the threat of a pink center. I mean, I've nothing against pink centers, but there's a time and a place/wink.

My kid prefers "Animal Style" which is pickles and grilled onions's. Meh. Might as well get a (gag) Big Mac!

You know, they say there are actually 125 different items that are NOT on the menu. Of course, any idiot can order a 4X4; and yes, my son has done it, usually when I'm paying. I'd never try it unless I was just about to hop in the shower anyway, because it is needed.

Lot of obscure "lore" about In N Out. I'm not really as dialed in as I could be.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: What's the word on WHATA BURGER? Higgins used to prefer, but I'm not impressed.

[ February 22, 2017, 10:52 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters