The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Cops (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Cops
4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted February 18, 2017 02:56 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
Guys,

I know I took some of the cop / anti=cop threads to heart in the past. Must be in my blood.

Anyhow, below is a video / article which serves as an example of why I tend to get excited over these topics.

http://insider.foxnews.com/2017/02/17/trooper-dragged-vehicle-during-traffic-stop-video

Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted February 18, 2017 03:26 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
I understand. In a perfect world. You need to get the hell out of there. Nick.

I think the majority of us, don't hate cops. We've all been hassled over bullshit @ one time or another. Now, I'm semi rural. Hardy ever see a cop.

I honestly pray for you good cops. To much bullshit for you guys/gals..

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted February 18, 2017 03:58 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Id have lost my job and maybe more over that stupid fucker. Goddamn that stuff makes me mad. I do feel for ya 49.
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2017 02:23 AM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys. I'm looking at the possibility of retiring the end of the year, though it isn't set in stone.

That will be 29 years, which is long enough.

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2017 07:45 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow.............29 years !!!

Question;
How do you keep from getting cynical about the entire human race with people lying to you every day, often trying to cause you physical harm & just generally being the shallow end of the gene pool ????

I could not do your job.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted February 19, 2017 09:16 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Nah, me neither.

Too much like the military and after three years, I had had enough of (literally) stupid people telling me what to do. People with more stripes than me....sorry 49, nothing personal. But, to endure for 29 years takes a special kind of fortitude. And then, they have a strong tendency to eat their barrel, for some reason I have never figured out. Those people that commit suicide never seem to think of the ones left holding the bag. But, it's a total mystery why so many in law enforcement take their own life. Personally, I think it's incredibly selfish.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31463 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2017 10:20 AM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
Selfish indeed, Leonard. Suicide is the ultimate selfish act. A lot of my law enforcement brethren feel the same way as you.

Koko, I have been cynical over the years. But I have found that as one gets older (and hopefully wiser), some of that cynicism goes away....

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2017 07:00 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if you ever find yourself in the Arizona Territory the Welcome Mat's out.

Our major crime last year was a guy pushing a shoplifted big screen tv down the street in a 'borrowed' wheel-barrel.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2017 07:36 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
49 I couldn't do you job , and if I could I would not want to. You guys possess a special mindset most cant fathom . Everyday you leave your home not knowing weather or not you will return. You risk life and limb daily for people that can sit on the sidelines and judge your profession on the poor actions of a few. I have had a few experiences with the police , in my younger days as an asshole that that deserved the negative experience. and more later as a good citizen and adult caught in a misunderstanding or two. I was once pulled over after leaving a business meeting on my way home a liquor store had been robbed and my vehicle matched the description of the suspect.
Two officers approached my vehicle with guns drawn they requested I put both hand on the door. I complied and told them I was wearing a side arm they requested I exit the vehicle while keeping my hands on the door. they took my Glock and put it on the roof of the vehicle. after a few minutes about nine different officers came to my vehicle to apologize for the misunderstanding return my weapon and I was on my way, had I had a bad attitude it could have been very different.
Another time to Forest service cops Came to my camp trailer when I was on my little patch in Ash Fork the door is a right hand open so I could not see who was there because these two morons did not have the good sense to step to their left so they could be identified but remained behind the door. naturally I reached to my side an un-holstered my sidearm. as I looked around the door they both drew out their service weapons. when I saw who they were I held my gun up as I came down the steps. we all re-set our weapons. and continued to have a conversation , cooler heads prevailed no ham no foul this also could have turned out quite differently I still feel this was their error. I don't think their training is what it should be . My point being that law enforcement is for the most part a tough and thankless job. I have cops in the family and along with them you and most cops everywhere have my respect and admiration thank you for what you do willingly on a daily basis.

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2017 08:12 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I probably have a bad attitude. I'm also unlucky in the type of cop I deal with on rare occasions. For some reason, I really have the classic attitude that I pay their salaries. This means I expect to be treated with respect. i.e.; do I LOOK like a bank robber or a drug dealer?

I'm at the local shopping mall. Very crowded, in fact, no place to park except the one that our local officer was occupying while talking to somebody in his car. I kinda turned the wheel in that direction, thinking that he could have perhaps moved from the center of the only empty parking space in the whole lot.

He looked at me and I gestured with a meek little wave suggesting that he allow me room to park. There were one or two statements made in which he suggested that I might be interfering with an officer in his duties, or something else demonstrating his COMMAND PRESENCE....Apparently a requirement? So, I said: what are you going to do, arrest me? And, he said: "Possibly". And, I said, "Asshole" and backed up and continued to search for a spot. And, I'm not exaggerating, even backing up was difficult and by the time I found a spot and walked towards the store where he was, it was all over, he was gone.

I was probably wrong? Just because this was a cop standing in the middle of a highly congested parking spot. But, I guess I was thinking that an ordinary citizen first of all wouldn't be chit chatting in the middle of a parking spot. But, if they were, then common courtesy would dictate that they could continue the conversation just as easily, from the curb at the front of the citizen's vehicle.

But police officers, even engaged in what seemed a casual conversation, are allowed to do things the rest of us do not get away with. I should mention that this conversation had pleasant smiles and gestures and all the hallmarks of a social encounter, not a potential arrest or a shoot out. In other words, it looked like these two guys knew each other.

But, that's me, a bad attitude and I guess I'll never learn? This was quite a few years ago and I look for this guy whenever I see a squad car, but never have. What exactly is the penalty, or repercussions for flipping off a cop, any way?

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: By the way, I would have been like the two citizens helping an officer in trouble, as in the video.

[ February 20, 2017, 08:18 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

4949shooter
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2017 04:33 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
Koko thanks for the invite! If I ever get back out to AZ I will be sure to give you a shout.

Paul, I always thought you were a good guy, but sealed the deal since you carry a Glock! The Fish and Game officers didn't seem to handle the encounter too well at first. As you said, cooler heads prevailed, and I am glad.

Leonard, I know what you mean about the parking spot. Funny, I was having one of those same conversations with a cop in town here about two weeks ago. But it was early on a Saturday morning and there were plenty of spots. Sometimes a little consideration goes a long way.

Command presence does indeed work though, when used in the right situation. I believe it has diffused many confrontations which otherwise would have ended physical.

knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2017 04:40 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
That whole deal happened a couple miles from my house. Heck, I think that trooper even pulled me over once, a couple years back (for tinted windows) & let me off...
As for the video, a bit of 'local knowledge on the guys who stopped traffic across the whole SS parkway and came to the aid of the trooper. If you guys knew how crazy everyone drives on the SS pkwy, you'd know that act alone is literally taking your life in your hands! Trooper was doing his job, those guys were doing the RIGHT thing!
Anyhoo, just wanted to give those two 'average Joes' another shout out for doing the right thing and offering a helping hand. As Leonard mentioned, that'd have been me, if I watched that scene unfolding. And there are plenty more I know who'd do the same...

When it comes down to it, there are only good guys & bad guys. Some wear a badge, some don't. I'm all for good guys gettin' together & gettn' after the bad ones!!!

[ February 21, 2017, 04:44 AM: Message edited by: knockemdown ]

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2017 06:44 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't go there, 49. He's kilt all the critters in eastern Arizona, never mind what Victor and Brent have missed further south. Truthfully, AZ ain't what it used to be. There are pockets, and still, there isn't a piece of ground where a coyote doesn't hear your call, but that does not mean he will respond, until later tonight, anyway?

Let's face it. Foxpro has ruined coyote hunting in western United States.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2017 07:56 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure that the drought has killed more critters than I will in my lifetime.

Small world...............
Talked to a dairy guy from Kansas Settlement here in Safford about coyote numbers down that way. He said that they used to have a problem but that they brought in a professional trapper. Just to drop a name I asked if it was our own Brent Parker by any chance ??
Turns out, it was.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2017 10:02 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I hunted pretty (what) extensively around Kansas Settlement a couple years ago (if that?) It would seem they don't have much of a coyote problem. Thanks, Brent!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2017 10:42 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
next to last campout down south I took Kelly out to Kansas settlement and kilt a few.

--------------------

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Wiley E
Knows what it's all about
Member # 108

Icon 1 posted February 23, 2017 04:49 PM      Profile for Wiley E   Email Wiley E         Edit/Delete Post 

Thanks for your many years of service. Not enough appreciation for the guys who take "to protect and serve" to heart and don't let confrontations get personal.

I do want to talk briefly about an issue that was brought up in this thread and that is suicide. Most people have the false belief that those who commit suicide do it within the same realm of logical thinking and reasoning that most people possess. Many times that is not the case. Those who suffer from schizophrenia do not think like a rational person and therefore see their own death differently than others would think.

My nephew, who was more like a son to me, suffered from schizophrenia and had complications caused by drugs he had taken to reduce his emotional pain. He believed he was going to kill someone else so he took his own life instead. That's not selfish, that's simply the inability to reason due to mental health issues that he could not control. Bottom line, many of these people do not think in a rational manner and therefore nobody should judge their inability to understand the consequences of their actions. They know not what they do.

In regards to how this relates to law enforcement officers, the true heroes in law enforcement are the calm during confrontation negotiators that can personalize and talk these people down in a bad situation as opposed to the "PUT DOWN THE GUN (pointed at the ground), PUT DOWN THE GUN, PUT DOWN THE GUN" rhetoric that usually leads to the inevitable ending.

I know it's just a show but look at the mannerism of Jamie Reagan on Blue Bloods. He genuinely cares about people in distress and it reflects in his ability to keep problems from escalating. He is an incredible negotiator which is, in my opinion after working hand in hand with law enforcement officers for so many years, the absolute best characteristic any law enforcement officer can have. It's the basic understanding that every one of us can reach that insane moment under certain situations where we snap and the best negotiators will usually see a different result than those who cannot relate to the fact that most people could end up in the same bad situation if it build up over a long period of time.

~SH~

Posts: 853 | From: Kadoka, S.D | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted February 23, 2017 05:30 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
Wiley,

I agree completely and did't intend to put all of the unfortunate suicide victims in one category.

As fellow cops, sometimes we can be hard on one another. It's the "macho" image which causes us to lack foresight and understanding when dealing with certain aspects of police work, like suicide. We would say that "so and so gave up" when speaking about the suicide of another cop.

We don't normally speak this way about non-cop suicide. I agree fully there is a sickness out there which needs treatment. Also, all suicides are not the same. I handled one where a lady with colon cancer chose not to live with the pain any longer and jumped off a bridge. She left behind a husband and son.

I had another suicide I handled where a 19 year old prom queen jumped off a bridge onto I-80 on Christmas Eve. I still think about this one every year around the holidays.

Then there are other people who just give up on themselves, and on their families.

I didn't intend to demean anyone my friend, and I am truly sorry about your nephew.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 23, 2017 07:55 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, obviously, we can't paint with a broad brush. My comments above were specific to law enforcement, and the fact that suicide is almost an occupational hazard, within that group.

I still think, baring exceptions as described by Scott, it's a selfish act. The cop's son will carry a stigma, forever. And, everyone close to him will shoulder some guilt. A few will seek the same solution. In some cases it's similar to a communicable disease. It's also a mortal sin according to the teachings of my faith.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted February 24, 2017 04:48 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Not to mention the fact that some of these psychotropic 'anti-depressant' drugs sometimes have the 180° opposite intended effect on those prescribed them...

In those instances, ya get a person with a rough row to hoe make an honest attempt at healing, via medication. Or a personal attempt at 'self medication' via alcohol or illicit drugs. Regardless, if/when the drug(s), prescribed or otherwise, don't have the intended healing effect, it only serves to quicken the downward spiral. Sad thing to see, and very difficult to slow/stop it...

I seem to recall a stat that, on average, 28 Veterans a day, commit suicide? Truly, a shame.

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted February 24, 2017 07:47 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
There are as many reasons for suicide as there are reasons for living you all have good points.
this is a subject I know well and someday around a campfire we can talk this is not that place.
Just suffice it to say you are all correct!

Fred: Psychotropic drugs are a scourge.
Leonard: The stigma is real.
Wiley: It is surely a mental illness and in some cases cannot be helped.
49 : Completely selfish act and they did give up.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 24, 2017 11:10 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds very much like you have a point of view we would benefit from, but understand, not time or place.

All I have is an opinion, which is; if the person doing the deed were to really understand the people affected by his decision, just maybe they would realize how cruel it can be for those left behind. Don't know how else to put it? I don't know anybody close that did it, just the high school buddy, (who I see occasionally) and we have never managed to talk about it and it was about 1962, I think? Maybe some day I might bring it up and try to understand. As of now, I'm not very sympathetic.

Agree Paul. Probably a little too deep for this place?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

4949shooter
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted February 24, 2017 12:38 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
We had one today at work.

73 year old man took his head off with a shotgun.

I don't know any more particulars just yet.

Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted February 24, 2017 01:13 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
The ex husband of one of the office gals, killed himself yesterday. Don't the details & not going to ask. I'm guessing the guy was mid 40's
Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted February 24, 2017 01:49 PM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't want to open up a can of worms, but my wife's sister was killed by my brother in law in 1993. He shot himself after he shot her.

We took her 4 sons, (3 of which had different fathers...the youngest was their son together), and raised them after this happened.

I can speak how it changed their lives, and the lives of everyone in my wife's family.

One extremely selfish act by a total jerk affected many lives.

Sorry, Paul, if I am speaking out of turn. Having it happen this close to me is something I would NEVER wish on anyone, including those I don't have high opinions about.

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters