The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Your thoughts??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Your thoughts??
Wiley E
Knows what it's all about
Member # 108

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2017 04:41 PM      Profile for Wiley E   Email Wiley E         Edit/Delete Post 
This year I was driving home after hunting pheasants at the farm where my folks live. I was about at exit 151 on I-90 when a vehicle that passed me and threw a lit cigarette out of the window. I tried to get the license plate but was unable to.

Why should that be worthy of discussion you may ask?

As I was trying to get this guy's license plate, off in the distance I could see a red horizon and tons of smoke billowing up from a prairie fire. Little did I know the irony in the situation I had just observed.

Turns out that a cigarette thrown from a vehicle on I-90 also started the fire I was observing in the distance.

Here is the figures for The Cottonwood Fire:

41,360 total acres burned. That is the equivalent of 64.6 square miles.

Fire was 17 miles long and 6 miles wide

300 fire trucks responded from 25 separate organizations from 10 different counties including Pennington, Lawrence, Meade, Custer, Haakon, Jackson, Jones, Mellette, Bennett, and Stanley counties.

18 families were affected

137 cattle were documented to have been killed by the fire.

Lots of secondary problems with livestock not accounted for (burns and respiratory problems).

Damage also includes structures (barns & buildings), many miles of fence, hay supplies, corrals, power lines, etc.

Also related to the fire was 2 separate multiple car chain reaction crashes on I-90 caused by reduced visibility related to the smoke from the fire. 1 accident involved 4 separate vehicles.

So here is my question to you, do you think it would be an excessive infringement on the rights of smokers to raise the penalty for throwing a lit cigarette out of a window DURING A PERIOD OF HIGH FIRE DANGER to a $500 fine or a Class 2 fine punishable by jail?

Would it be less of an infringement on their rights if I just got their plate, found out who it was and where they lived, gather up the cigarette butt out of the ditch then clipped some dry hay from the same area and put it in a shopping bag then drive to their house, place the hay clippings next to their house, relight the cigarette butt and throw it in the grass clipping pile (said dripping with sarcasm)???

So what about the infringed upon rights of the ranchers who lost all their grass, cattle, fences, and outbuildings to some sorry Marlboro sumbitch who is too frickin' stupid to know the consequences of their actions??

To generate awareness to the issue, I had a bill introduced to raise the penalty for throwing a lit cigarette out of vehicle DURING A PERIOD OF HIGH FIRE DANGER to a Class 1 punishable by arrest just like DWI.

Not much interest because it was "too excessive" a penalty. LOL!

How would you catch them you ask? Simple, get the license plate and mark the location. Find the cigarette butt still glowing in the ditch and package it for DNA.

"Book 'em Dano"!

99% support from those who experienced the losses from the fire. 100% support from the firemen that fought the blaze. John Q Public didn't want excessive penalties for stupidity.

~SH~

[ February 10, 2017, 04:42 PM: Message edited by: Wiley E ]

Posts: 853 | From: Kadoka, S.D | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
CrossJ
SECOND PLACE: PAUL RYAN Look-a-like contest
Member # 884

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2017 06:02 PM      Profile for CrossJ   Email CrossJ         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
John Q Public didn't want excessive penalties for stupidity.
I am all for increased penalties....not sure we have enough jail space though

--------------------
A friend will help you move. A good friend will help you move a body.

Posts: 1025 | From: on a water tower | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2017 06:09 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
On the one hand, it sounds too Draconian, if you consider yourself even a little bit conservative. In other words, what you propose is something that Liberals would go for. Anything a Liberal would be in favor of, I would be opposed.

So, don't forget, it will be a long time before you have another opportunity to gather up evidence....and in trying to catch them, what if they were headed to Canada, or had other protections.

Like yesterday, or the day before. I was in a line at Walmart and the woman in front of me had all her stuff put in plastic bags, which have recently been outlawed in California. Supposed to save the environment?

So I said something to her and she just said; oh, I'm paying with ABC. Then, after she rolled away with a dollar's worth of bags, I asked the clerk what was going on because I have been putting my purchases back in the cart and in the parking lot, just throwing my stuff behind the seat. Where it rolls around and some of it get's under the seat. edit: this woman had a two year old sitting in the cart and she was obviously pregnant.

So, I happened to mention this to my son, while talking on the phone and he said, oh, you mean EBT? I think that is what he said? That means FOOD STAMPS, they get a credit card, no more actual stamps. But the clerk said, EBT doesn't pay for bags. But me, a damned taxpayer, has to pat ten cents per bag and pay for the woman's bags in front of me with my taxes. While I was saving thirty cents on my own purchase. You can't beat these cocksuckers!

I'm not sure what this has to do with throwing cigarette butts from a car window but when I figure it out, I will get back to you. And, California is way ahead of you on fines. The max has been $1000 for quite a few years which I doubt anybody has ever been arrested and fined, so that's how much good it does. Oh, and try doing that on one of our Freeways. Good luck!

Good hunting. El Bee

[ February 10, 2017, 06:11 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Wiley E
Knows what it's all about
Member # 108

Icon 1 posted February 11, 2017 08:28 AM      Profile for Wiley E   Email Wiley E         Edit/Delete Post 
I am the first to question excessive regulations but, just like DWI, when it affects others to this degree, something has to be done.

I couldn't survive in California. Spent part of a summer there once and couldn't get out of there fast enough. In fact, I wish the beltway was it's own country. Hate the fact of so few working so hard to pave the way for so many.

~SH~

Posts: 853 | From: Kadoka, S.D | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted February 11, 2017 08:48 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I totally see both sides. The last thing we need is more regulation/laws. But it is total bullshit that some idiot with one simple flick of the finger can cause so much damage. I just wish people could use alittle common sense sometimes.
Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 11, 2017 10:47 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well another thing is Big Brother making sure you do the right thing, Smoking is bad, like no ashtrays in the vehicle anymore. A cigarette lighter is just to plug in your GPS. Make no mistake, we have much less freedom than before.

My old girlfriend used to smoke in her car. She kept a water bottle in the side door boot half filled for her butts. Boy did that stuff stink!

Scott, I think you'd be perfect for "The Valley." You'd love it if you'd just give it a chance. A total Hollyweird type, straight out of central casting! (that's a compliment)

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2017 09:58 AM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a guy throw a cigarette out the window and hit my patrol car. He got a ticket.

Also had a truck driver with a bad attitude throw a cigarette on the ground right in front of me. I told him to pick it up. When he did, he swiped the cigarette across the front of my uniform. It didn't end well for him.

Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2017 10:06 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
lol that would piss me off too!
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters