The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » so waht did you do today !

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: so waht did you do today !
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2017 02:39 PM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
AFTER exiting the bed I put my fleece pants on over my long handles stumbled down the hall to check the state of my batteries then turned on the Keurig filled my self with liquid stimulants and moved to the living room to begin the destructive distillation of cellulose fiber in the fire place of course. managed to get my real pants on and ventured outdoors in the 11 degree morning to feed the pot licker. After the sun broke the horizon I ventured up the hill to the woods to cut some fire wood after fucking with some contentious equipment I load my reward in to the back of my FJ holds about 1/3 cord at a click.
unloaded said wood and decided it wood be a nice time to go to the post office be fore I left my lovely bride asked if I would check the water as she wanted to do some laundry , being the dutiful husband that I am I put my dip stick in the tank and low and behold no water turned of the pump as to not burn it up . called the water delivery service and was told there are a lot of people that we cant get to be cause of the snow we will get to you as soon as We can. ! So I saddle up and go get my little 350 gal water hauler it still had 200 gals. in it. I bring it up to the big house and low an behold all my hoses are full and frozen ,so I lay them out in the sun and coil up one and bring into the house and place it in front of the fireplace to thaw. lay the other out back in the sun. Finally with one in frozen hose I hook all the moving parts and begin to fill the tank 30 minutes pass and the transfer is complete I get my dipstick to get a reading and it his the ice and goes through I was not out of water but had 600 gals under the ice that broke because of the water I added , go figure what a fucking day so far ,I call the water delivery and tell them that if they have an emergency schedule them ahead of us as we had an ice problem not a water problem. I was now free to go to the post office and come and split the wood I cut all done and having a BUD!

[ January 26, 2017, 02:45 PM: Message edited by: Paul Melching ]

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2017 04:07 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
My day also began with me slipping on my camo fleece bottoms and going straight to the coffee pot!!

I tell you what, living off the grid sounds like it taint for sissies!! Is it even possible for a nine to fiver or a self-employed fellow to live like that? Seems like there would never be time for a bud until bedtime!?!?

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2017 06:36 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's see? Antifreeze is probably not a good idea, right? Maybe you can rig up a couple insulated blankets like they wrap around a water heater? Three?

A little more complicated would be a heater element with a thermostat set to turn on at 33 degrees. and off a few degrees later.

Another idea might be a small wattage circulating motor attached to a shaft and an agitator ...nah, that won't work when the water level is below.... The idea being that moving water might not freeze as readily. Could be?

But, but, if you could have your lovely bride get up a little early and stir that tank with a canoe paddle; just for a couple hours until the sun comes up. Then you could let her rest for a while and reward her with a nice hot cup of coffee from that $200 machine. Problem solved!

Besides, I looked up Ash Fork forecast the day before, and gave you ample warning that you were looking at 11 degrees. The least you could have done is put five gallons H2O inside the house.

Better insulate the tank, before she gets pissed off.

All I know is, I ain't cut out for this off the grid shit.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: I can't wait for ko ko's solution. It will probably involve an illegal in swim trunks and a whip.

edit: no worries, only 14* tonite!

[ January 26, 2017, 06:44 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2017 08:08 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing quite so exotic.
(1) Bury the tank
(2) Run a small pump off of a solar panel.
(3) Circulate the water during the day thru a solar heater to warm it slightly when the forecast is for low temps.
(4) Hire a couple of scantily clad illegal females (possibly twin sisters) to monitor the entire system for you.
(5) When you figure out how to explain #4 to your wife, call me right away.

Remember, we're here to help.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2017 09:14 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Hang in there, Paul..

I'm going thru a rough one myself. I have so much to do, as yourself. If, I get time, I'll tell ya some stories...

You need to get some goats. Then you will have something else to worry about [Smile]

(edit) I worry about mine. It's actually a stress relieve though. Sorta'
[Wink]

[ January 26, 2017, 09:18 PM: Message edited by: Dave Allen ]

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2017 06:10 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Uh oh! I don't like the sound of that: "stress relief"?

You get goats, you have something to worry about? I don't suppose it has to do with being caught again with your pants down around your ankles? Have you ever served in Afghanistan? A man can pick up some bad habits over yonder....

Good hunting. El Bee

PS hey, I'm not casting aspersions, I don't even want to think about it. But, I can't stand the thought of abusing those cute little goats with your carnal knowledge! Don't make me turn you in to the Farm Burro. The less said about this, the better. Next thing you know, ko ko will be asking a bunch of suspicious questions about the care and feeding of certain (undeniably cute) barnyard critters? Like when he was a lad, in Deliverance.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2017 06:36 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
It was just iced over on top a little thicker than usual giving an empty reading. all my outside piping is either 3 feet deep or has heater cable and insulation. the hoses freezing was my fault for being to lazy to unscrew it from the hose bib so it could drain. just wanted to bitch a little. Dave Next spring I will build a coop and have a few chickens. I would love to have more critters but if I have to feed them for no return , cant justify it.

--------------------

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2017 06:52 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, sounds like quite the ordeal, Paul!

Closest thing I had to a frozen hose was in high school, in the back seat with my girl friend when the temps hovered around 0... [Big Grin]

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2017 08:51 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait a minute, Paul. You have a dog that doesn't lay eggs.,which is basically no return.

If you got a couple goats, they would keep the weeds down, and post lookout from the roof of your truck. You have a perfect place for goats! Every homestead needs goats, everybody knows that. The grandkids would love to ride them too.

I say we take a vote. Who thinks Paul needs a couple goats?

Good hunting. El Bee

That's the solution: heat trace. Why didn't I think of that?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2017 11:56 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
My dog is a security guard that works for kibble!
Booger now that's cold!

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2017 02:45 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You know the exCop, the guy that wrote The ChoirBoys, what the hell was his name? Wambah?

Anyway, he spoke in terms of Helmets and Anteaters, and called a teenager's class of hard on, "A Glass Cutter". Ah yes, those were the days!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2017 07:58 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Nah' its all good. My problem is the goats are kinda fenced in by all the snow. They really want to run & frolic.

Best, I can do is offer a walk on the ice frozen zone between the barn & road, about 100 yards. Which we do @ least four or five times a night..

Damn goats are like outside dogs to me. Leonard is right. One or two on top of the roof of the pickup, to keep an eye on things is perfect !!

My vote..Go..Goat !!

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2017 08:53 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
A few years ago we had a 5 year stretch with 72 chickens. It was fun having them. Coyotes way of damaging them was to run into the yard, run around killing as many as they could quickly and then came back for them one at a time. Hawks actually did the worst damage. Chickens were mostly free range and that meant they ate mice!! Gross!! Having fresh eggs all the time was spectacular!! We also sold eggs for $3 a dozen. If you do decide on free range, keep them the heck away from your stuff!! Chickens poop everywhere and about a jillion times a day!! Do not let them have access to driveway or cement pads, tractors, wood piles, anything you use or chicken poop will drive you mad!! I never even thought about the wood pile...but it's no fun grabbing your split wood and a handful of dried chicken poop!! Baby chick's are one of the most adorable little critters but......they get BIG fast!!

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 28, 2017 08:10 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
When I get mad at Pinky, I just tell him he's nothing but a stupid and malnourished chicken, that can talk, a little. Then he gives me the evil eye, with that stupid grin on his beak, like he's got my number. See, cockatoos come in two flavors, white and the relatively rare black. He's a white cockatoo, but he, (just like all Moluccan's) is actually a very light pink, (with a salmon crest) and hence, his clever name. And, he only answers to, "HAPPY BIRD" which he repeats ad infinitum. So, we are "roomies" and it's a good thing I live alone because most women cannot stand the noise, which he must do a certain number of times per day. And, I've been told that in the animal kingdom, there are very few that are as loud as he, when he wants to be. On the scale, 1 to 10, he is definitely a strong ten! Evolutionary wise, I never figured out why that might be beneficial or necessary, other than calling from one end of the island to the other. It's not pleasant to human or dog ears, and he don't give a shit if you don't like it. Other than that....

Good hunting. El Bee

PS video to follow. Maybe? edit: nope, not today

[ January 28, 2017, 09:03 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2017 06:16 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Flew to Oklahoma on Wednesday night, so Thursday was a good day!
Killed a double on the first stand, and a triple on the 3rd stand. Called it quits after that, done fun huntin' before 9 am! Shootin' five coyotes in a row has a way of setting everything right in the world [Smile] But those dang Okies make ya drag all of 'em! Its all good on my end, put a strain in that 550...
 -

We sucked an egg in the contest on Saturday, though. Called 6, shot 4. Team won it with 13 coyotes & 2 bobcats. Friggn' incredible!

BTW, my new tripod/Arca Swiss plate rifle deal IS THE shit! With the plate fixed to the stock, it just drops in & clamps direct to the ball head. Fuckin' awesome! Made 18 stands on Saturday alone, and didn't bother me one bit to carry that tripod back & forth. Sooooo nice to have hands free for runnin' the e-caller remote...
 -

[ January 30, 2017, 06:17 AM: Message edited by: knockemdown ]

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2017 07:44 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's cool! As long as you won enough to cover expenses, it's worth it.

Was this a 24 hour hunt, or from sunup to sundown?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2017 09:48 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, we didn't come close to winning the contest!

But, being able to get outta town for a couple days, to visit with friends, do some shootin', and make a bunch of stands in awesome country is "winning" in my book. The best kind...

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2017 08:15 PM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a good time Fred !

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 31, 2017 06:51 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, they look prime as hell. Who gets the pelts?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters